Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Limits on Solaris 2.6
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Limits on Solaris 2.6 Post 3770 by loitschix on Wednesday 11th of July 2001 05:02:52 AM
Old 07-11-2001
Bug hi...

hello.

to "watch" what a process is "doing" you can use the command "truss" on sun solaris. e.g. when you want to "trace" the command ls, do:

truss ls

you will see the open syscalls and what the command is doing. to see "open networkhandles" (ports, rpc, etc...) you can use

netstat -a

and

rpcinfo

cheers, alex...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file number limits in Solaris 8

What is the kernel parameter ( or other) that sets the maximum number of open files by the o/s (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blp001
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

nawk - file limits

Hi, I want to search particular pattern and splitting the file in to multiple files. (Splitted files may be more than 150). It got splitted upto 20 files after that, I got some error. nawk: filename.21 makes too many open files. input record number 654, file xxxxxxx Can u guide me to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharif
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris counterpart of /etc/security/limits.conf

Hi, How can we set per user core file size, etc in solaris, i.e. I want solaris counterpart/equivalent of linux /etc/security/limits.conf. TIA (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ulimit and /etc/security/limits file permission

Hi there, I am working on AIX and i dont have permission for /etc/security/limits file. In the man page of ulimit it is mentioned that it will get the limitations for me from /etc/security/limits file. the file permission for ulimit command is -r-xr-xr-x 15 bin bin ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: quintet
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limits of FOR loop to go to end of File

Hi ALL:), I have a file for e.g. ajdflkj|dkj|djfj|go|123|4||||||||||||||89|101||||||||||||||| The length of file is not fixed. So wat the limits should be given in for loop to access till end of file???? Thanks in advance..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohiiit.sharma
2 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

File size limits

I want to increase the file size, I am trying to store the output but it's not storing the whole output in to the file (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: navintsm
7 Replies

7. HP-UX

HP-UX 10.20 file size limits?

Hi, I'm running HP-UX 10.20. Is there a 2GB file size limit? if so, can i change it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabriel.560
3 Replies

8. Linux

Determining Values for NIce and Priority items in limits.conf file

I've been looking online trying to find the correct value nice and priority can take in the limits.conf file. ON the man page it says; Does this mean priority can be any negative number and any positive? Then Does this mean any number between -20 and 19 also what does the definition of nice... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewfs
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Soft and hard limits for nproc value in /etc/security/limits.conf file (Linux )

OS version : RHEL 6.5 Below is an excerpt from /etc/security/limits.conf file for OS User named appusr in our server appusr soft nproc 2047 appusr hard nproc 16384 What will happen if appusr has already spawned 2047 processes and wants to spawn 2048th process ? I just want to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies

10. Programming

Limits on 32 and 64 bit in C++ / C

Hi All, I am getting below run time error I checked the code and see the structure defined as below and using the file position variable typedef struct Get_file { char *current_pathname; unsigned int tot_bytes_io, physical_position; int... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
2 Replies
opensnoop(1m)							   USER COMMANDS						     opensnoop(1m)

NAME
opensnoop - snoop file opens as they occur. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
opensnoop [-a|-A|-ceFghstvxZ] [-f pathname] [-n name] [-p PID] DESCRIPTION
opensnoop tracks file opens. As a process issues a file open, details such as UID, PID and pathname are printed out. The returned file descriptor is printed, a value of -1 indicates an error. This can be useful for troubleshooting to determine if applia- cions are attempting to open files that do not exist. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. OPTIONS
-a print all data -A dump all data, space delimited -c print current working directory of process -e print errno value -F print the flags passed to open -g print full command arguments -s print start time, us -t print user stack trace -v print start time, string -x only print failed opens -Z print zonename -f pathname file pathname to snoop -n name process name to snoop -p PID process ID to snoop EXAMPLES
Default output, print file opens by process as they occur, # opensnoop Print human readable timestamps, # opensnoop -v See error codes, # opensnoop -e Snoop this file only, # opensnoop -f /etc/passwd FIELDS
ZONE Zone name UID User ID PID Process ID PPID Parent Process ID FD File Descriptor (-1 is error) FLAGS Flags passed to open ERR errno value (see /usr/include/sys/errno.h) CWD current working directory of process PATH pathname for file open COMM command name for the process ARGS argument listing for the process TIME timestamp for the open event, us STRTIME timestamp for the open event, string DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
opensnoop will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. BUGS
occasionally the pathname for the file open cannot be read and the following error will be seen, dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 6 (...): invalid address this is normal behaviour. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 1.60 Jan 12, 2006 opensnoop(1m)