Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sysadmins: your top 10 duties/responsibilities? Post 37643 by RTM on Tuesday 24th of June 2003 12:26:50 PM
Old 06-24-2003
Neo is correct -
Quote:
Every admin does something different depending on how their platform is used in practice
I never had to do anything with Sendmail before my current job. I've never had to do much with printing ever. But I know folks that are great Sys Admins that have no clue about Sendmail or any mailer program but may know all about printers and administering them on UNIX. Each job has different needs or uses different programs (Sendmail vs Qmail). You shouldn't limit yourself to 10. Or you may not get that next job.

The moral: Learn as much as possible and practice what you know.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What to new sysadmins should be learning?

I'm reading through yet another book on Unix admin'ing and it occurs to me once again that there are simply way too many things that you could be learning about with Unix for a newbie and you don't have infinite amounts of time to learn it all. For instance, I'm told that learning the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatkins679
2 Replies

2. AIX

Administrator responsibilities

HELLOW ALL Can any one tell me what are the Requirements for any system administrator to be a system administrators (After taking all the courses for IBM or the the track that requires only during your job). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Roles & Responsibilities of a Linux/Unix administrator

Hi All, At present i have good knowledge and experience in unix/ linux shell scripting. I believe unix shell scripting with administration will be a hot skill set, so I would like to become a Unix/Linux system admin. What are the key skills i have to learn to become a successful administrator.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Help me in responsibilities of solaris admin

Dear friends I have a doubt 4 months back i've completed my Solaris course now i'am searching for job on 2+ years experience please anyone tell me what are the common responsibilities of solaris admin means when i'll get a job what is the common daily work for me in office as a 2+ years... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
7 Replies

5. Linux

Administrator responsibilities, in case of power outage?

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could share some of your knowledge, in the event of a power outage. Let presume you are on duty and you get a call at midnight because half of your cabinets have no power, air conditioning is down and you deal with a ton of 500 error messages on your boxes. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: TECK
9 Replies
printers.conf(5)                                                    Apple Inc.                                                    printers.conf(5)

NAME
printers.conf - printer configuration file for cups DESCRIPTION
The printers.conf file defines the local printers that are available. It is normally located in the /etc/cups directory and is generated automatically by the cupsd(8) program when printers are added or deleted. Each line in the file can be a configuration directive, a blank line, or a comment. Comment lines start with the # character. DIRECTIVES
<Printer name> ... </Printer> Defines a specific printer. <DefaultPrinter name> ... </Printer> Defines a default printer. Accepting Yes Accepting No Specifies whether the printer is accepting new jobs. AllowUser [ user @group ... ] Allows specific users and groups to print to the printer. DenyUser [ user @group ... ] Prevents specific users and groups from printing to the printer. DeviceURI uri Specifies the device URI for a printer. ErrorPolicy abort-job ErrorPolicy retry-current-job ErrorPolicy retry-job ErrorPolicy stop-printer Specifies the error policy for the printer. Info text Specifies human-readable text describing the printer. JobSheets banner banner Specifies the banner pages to use for the printer. KLimit number Specifies the job-k-limit value for the printer. Location text Specifies human-readable text describing the location of the printer. OpPolicy name Specifies the operation policy for the printer. PageLimit number Specifies the job-page-limit value for the printer. PortMonitor monitor Specifies the port monitor for a printer. QuotaPeriod seconds Specifies the job-quota-period value for the printer. Shared Yes Shared No Specifies whether the printer is shared. State idle State stopped Specifies the initial state of the printer (Idle or Stopped) StateMessage text Specifies the message associated with the state. StateTime seconds Specifies the date/time associated with the state. SEE ALSO
classes.conf(5), cupsd(8), cupsd.conf(5), mime.convs(5), mime.types(5), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 29 April 2009 CUPS printers.conf(5)