Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sysadmins: your top 10 duties/responsibilities? Post 37640 by jatkins679 on Tuesday 24th of June 2003 12:05:33 PM
Old 06-24-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Neo
You really need to go invest in a Unix System Adminstration book. There are lots of them at the book store. Every admin does something different depending on how their platform is used in practice.

Get a book and learn Unix by working in the Unix environment.
Yes, I have lots of books, thank you. That's why I'm asking real people here for their real personal thoughts.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What to new sysadmins should be learning?

I'm reading through yet another book on Unix admin'ing and it occurs to me once again that there are simply way too many things that you could be learning about with Unix for a newbie and you don't have infinite amounts of time to learn it all. For instance, I'm told that learning the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatkins679
2 Replies

2. AIX

Administrator responsibilities

HELLOW ALL Can any one tell me what are the Requirements for any system administrator to be a system administrators (After taking all the courses for IBM or the the track that requires only during your job). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Roles & Responsibilities of a Linux/Unix administrator

Hi All, At present i have good knowledge and experience in unix/ linux shell scripting. I believe unix shell scripting with administration will be a hot skill set, so I would like to become a Unix/Linux system admin. What are the key skills i have to learn to become a successful administrator.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Help me in responsibilities of solaris admin

Dear friends I have a doubt 4 months back i've completed my Solaris course now i'am searching for job on 2+ years experience please anyone tell me what are the common responsibilities of solaris admin means when i'll get a job what is the common daily work for me in office as a 2+ years... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
7 Replies

5. Linux

Administrator responsibilities, in case of power outage?

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could share some of your knowledge, in the event of a power outage. Let presume you are on duty and you get a call at midnight because half of your cabinets have no power, air conditioning is down and you deal with a ton of 500 error messages on your boxes. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: TECK
9 Replies
Data::Phrasebook::SQL(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Data::Phrasebook::SQL(3pm)

NAME
Data::Phrasebook::SQL - The SQL/DBI Phrasebook Model. SYNOPSIS
use Data::Phrasebook; use DBI; my $dbh = DBI->connect(...); my $book = Data::Phrasebook->new( class => 'SQL', dbh => $dbh, file => 'queries.txt', ); my $q = $book->query( 'find_author', { author => "Lance Parkin" }); while ( my $row = $q->fetchrow_hashref ) { print "He wrote $row->{title} "; } $q->finish; queries.txt: find_author=select title,author from books where author = :author DESCRIPTION
In order to make use of features like placeholders in DBI in conjunction with phrasebooks, it's helpful to have a phrasebook be somewhat more aware of how DBI operates. Thus, you get "Data::Phrasebook::SQL". "Data::Phrasebook::SQL" has knowledge of how DBI works and creates and executes your queries appropriately. CONSTRUCTOR
new Not to be accessed directly, but via the parent Data::Phrasebook, by specifying the class as SQL. Additional arguments to those described in Data::Phrasebook::Generic are: o "dbh" - a DBI database handle. METHODS
dbh Set, or get, the current DBI handle. query Constructs a Data::Phrasebook::SQL::Query object from a template. Takes at least one argument, this being the identifier for the query. The identifier is used as a key into the phrasebook "file". A second argument can be provided, which is an optional hashref of key to value mappings. If phrasebook has a YAML source looking much like the following: --- find_author: sql: select class,title,author from books where author = :author You could write: my $q = $book->query( 'find_author' ); OR my $q = $book->query( 'find_author', { author => 'Lance Parkin' } ); OR my $author = 'Lance Parkin'; my $q = $book->query( 'find_author', { author => $author, } ); # sql = select class,title,author from books where author = ? # args = 'Lance Parkin' In the above examples, the parameters are bound to the SQL using the bind parameters functionality. This is more efficient in most cases where the same SQL is reused with different values for fields. However, not all SQL statements just need to bind parameters, some may require the ability to replace parameters, such as a field list. --- find_author: sql: select :fields from books where author = :author my $q = $book->query( 'find_author', replace => { fields => 'class,title,author' }, bind => { author => 'Lance Parkin' } ); # sql = select class,title,author from books where author = ? # args = 'Lance Parkin' In all instances, if the SQL template requested does not exist or has no definition, then an error will be thrown. Consult Data::Phrasebook::SQL::Query for what you can then do with your returned object. For reference: the bind hashref argument, if it is given, is given to the query object's "order_args" and then "args" methods. SEE ALSO
Data::Phrasebook, Data::Phrasebook::Generic, Data::Phrasebook::SQL::Query. SUPPORT
Please see the README file. AUTHOR
Original author: Iain Campbell Truskett (16.07.1979 - 29.12.2003) Maintainer: Barbie <barbie@cpan.org> since January 2004. for Miss Barbell Productions <http://www.missbarbell.co.uk>. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2003 Iain Truskett. Copyright (C) 2004-2010 Barbie for Miss Barbell Productions. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the Artistic Licence v2. perl v5.10.1 2010-08-31 Data::Phrasebook::SQL(3pm)