Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename files/directories based on their name Post 37627 by quantumechanix on Tuesday 24th of June 2003 09:21:01 AM
Old 06-24-2003
Rename files/directories based on their name

i have hundreds of directories that have to be renamed. the directory structure is fairly uniform which makes the scripting a little simpler.

suppose i have many directories like this */*/*/*abc* (in other words i have similar directory names 3 dirs deep that all contain the pattern abc in their dir name). i would like to rename any directory that contains the pattern *abc* to, say, xyz (or anything really, but not just change the abc part. i want to change the entire dir name with xyz).

there are several pattern variations that i would like to rename, so i'm trying to develop a script for which additions would be easy.

i'm using Unix (Solaris) with tcsh, and my work so far (i'm real green to scripting so there may be some mistakes) is:

foreach old ( abc )
set new=`echo $old | sed 's/abc/xyz'`
mv $old $new
end

this works for dirs with the exact name abc (and that's cool), but when i try:

foreach old ( *abc* )
set new=`echo $old | sed 's/*abc*/xyz'`
mv $old $new
end

it fails, saying mv: blahblah is a directory (or something to that effect)

i think that covers it all. if anyone wants to help but needs more info just ask.

thanks in advance for your help

quant

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files recursivly in specified directories

Hi, This is what I would like to do. 1. Find all directories named "ByHost" in a specified directory 2. Rename all .plist files inside "ByHost" directories This is the way I have been able to do it so far. #!/bin/sh # # Rename ByHost files # # Thomas Berglund, 13.07.08 # Get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thomas Berglund
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename files Ax based on strings found in files Bx

Hi, I'm not very experienced in shell scripting and that's probably why I came across the following problem: I do have several hundred pairs of text files (PF00x.spl and PF00x.shd) where the first file (PF00x.spl) needs to be renamed according a string that is included in the second file... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: inCH
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files and directories with special characters

Hello guys, I was looking for a shell script that removes all the special characters from the files and the subdirectories recursively. I could not locate it any more. Dose any body have a similar script that dose that? Thanks for the help. AV (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files in sub directories with sequential numbers

I can rename a file with sequential numbers from 1 to N with this script: num=1 for file in *.dat;do mv "$file" "$(printf "%u" $num).txt" let num=num+1 done The script begins with renaming a some.dat file to 1.dat.txt and goes on sequentially renaming other DAT files to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rename files based on their respective directory name

I have a number of files in directories labeled like this: /Data/tr_gray/tr_DTI/dti_FA.nii.gz (the brackets here represent a range of number that the files are labeled with) I need to rename each dti_FA.nii.gz file according to the name of the folder it resides in. For example, the file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tk0034
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename the files in all the directories and sub-directories

Hi all, I have more than 12000 files in 46 different directories and each directory has 2 sub-directories named “dat” or “gridded”. Dat sub-directories have files with extension “jpg.dat” and gridded sub-directories have files with extension “.jpg”. I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename files based on a list

Hi, I have a directory with a lot of files like this: a.bam b.bam c.bam I like to rename these files based on a list where the name of the files in the first column will be replasced by the names in the second column. Here is my list which is a tab-delimited text file: a x b y c ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files based on name in text file

Hello, I have a text file "file.list" with the contents below. file1 filename1 file2 filename2 file3 filename3 file1, file2 and file3 are files existing in the same directory as the text file file.list. I want to rename file1 to filename1, file2 to filename2, as show in the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james2009
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename files based on simple text file

Hello! New here although not completely new to Unix. I wonder how I could rename files based on the data found in a simple textfile. It goes like this: I have 4 files 1 ldfgkkfjslkdfjsldkfjsf.wav 2 nndsdflksdjf.wav 3 sdflksjdf jjsdflsdfl.wav 4 dkadsdddd.wav Textfile.txt looks like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oortone
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files from multiple directories along with directory indicator

Hi, Friends, i have a requirement where i need to rename my files residing in multiple sub directories and move them to one different directory along with some kind of directory indicator. For eg: test--is my parent directory and it has many files such as a1.txt a2.txt a3.txt ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
5 Replies
FS_WHEREIS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_WHEREIS(1)

NAME
       fs_whereis - Reports each file server housing a file or directory

SYNOPSIS
       fs whereis [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help]

fs whe [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h]

DESCRIPTION
       The fs whereis command returns the name of each file server machine that houses the volume containing each directory or file named by the
       -path argument.

OPTIONS
       -path <dir/file path>+
	   Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the host file server machine. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the
	   current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted.

-help
	   Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.

OUTPUT
       The output includes a line for each specified directory or file. It names the file server machine on which the volume that houses the
       specified directory or file resides. A list of multiple machines indicates that the directory or file is in a replicated volume.

Machine names usually have a suffix indicating their cell membership. If the cell is not clear, use the fs whichcell command to display the
       cell in which the directory or file resides. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command.

EXAMPLES
       The following example indicates that volume housing the directory /afs/abc.com resides is replicated on both "fs1.abc.com" and
       "fs3.abc.com":

% fs whereis -path /afs/abc.com
	  File /afs/abc.com is on hosts fs1.abc.com fs3.abc.com

PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
       None

SEE ALSO
       fs_whichcell(1), fs_wscell(1)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26							     FS_WHEREIS(1)