Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: No login prompt
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers No login prompt Post 37520 by minazk on Friday 20th of June 2003 06:52:58 AM
Old 06-20-2003
Your question is confusing....
Smilie

Anyways...Are u getting a login prompt?? If not, check if the telnet daemon is started on the server on not.

If yes, & after giving user/pass you are not able to login, then probably some problem with user id etc....
minazk

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing login prompt on redhat

Hi... Can anyone help! I am in dire need to change the "login:" prompt to "username:" any ideas? Thanks in advance :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: juilan
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Login Prompt - Sol 10

Hello When I login as root - my prompt is # I want to change this and I understand the setting (PS1=) needs to go into a file called .profile, but I don't know where this file is for the root user. The root users home folder is / when I type env. Should I be creating a home folder for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deedaz
4 Replies

3. Linux

delay getting ssh login prompt

Hi, We currently have a problem on a centos server when i try to ssh to it there is a significant delay in getting a login prompt. What would be the steps in troubleshooting this issue? I have try to narrow down a possible network issue but cannot see anything obviously wrong in the routing table,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
4 Replies

4. Solaris

How to prompt for the new password during the first login

Hi All, I have created a new user. Using the below command I have created the user successfully. useradd -c "Test user" -d /tmp/test -g Testgroup -s /bin/ksh -u 601 Test I don't want to set the password using “passwd” command after creating a user. I want to prompt for the new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

start service when get login prompt

Hi Team, I am using DRBL environment on Ubuntu. When my machine starts some times it's not starting lxdm & nslcd service. Because of that i didn't get graphic mode & also not able to authenticate user as nslcd is also stops. I have to login as root and restart these two services, then i am able... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing login details to htaccess login prompt

Hi, How i can pass the login details to the URL which is password protected with the htaccess using command line or script (perl,or shell,or php). Any help or hint appreciated. Thanks, SJ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilvesterJ
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ec2 login prompt script

Hey guys, trying to create a script that will run in the background until a user logs in and then present them with different options to proceed further. It is on an Ubuntu 10.04 Amazon ec2 system. The system runs 24/7 as it is and just needs to feed the prompt to whoever logs in. Is this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Not getting login prompt

Hi, we have a server that runs on redhat linux. It was working fine until last year and all of sudden we are not able to ssh on to that server. we are getting the ping response but not getting the login prompt when tried to connect via ssh. Port 22 is opened and i have tested it out using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

Not getting prompt after login

Hi, I'm a normal user in hp-ux box. today i'm unable to get prompt after i successfully logged in into the hp-ux box. what could be the problem? what should should i check? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
4 Replies

10. HP-UX

Only get login prompt and nothing else

When I login as root or any user it prompts for the Login again. never prompts for password.login: root Login incorrect login: Does not matter what user login I try I get the same response (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMRWHUNTER
3 Replies
LOGIN(8)                                                      System Manager's Manual                                                     LOGIN(8)

NAME
login.krb5 - kerberos enhanced login program SYNOPSIS
login.krb5 [-p] [-fFe username] [-r | -k | -K | -h hostname] DESCRIPTION
login.krb5 is a modification of the BSD login program which is used for two functions. It is the sub-process used by krlogind and telnetd to initiate a user session and it is a replacement for the command-line login program which, when invoked with a password, acquires Ker- beros tickets for the user. login.krb5 will prompt for a username, or take one on the command line, as login.krb5 username and will then prompt for a password. This password will be used to acquire Kerberos Version 5 tickets (if possible.) It will also attempt to run aklog to get AFS tokens for the user. The version 5 tickets will be tested against a local krb5.keytab if it is available, in order to verify the tickets, before letting the user in. However, if the password matches the entry in /etc/passwd the user will be unconditionally allowed (permitting use of the machine in case of network failure.) OPTIONS
-p preserve the current environment -r hostname pass hostname to rlogind. Must be the last argument. -h hostname pass hostname to telnetd, etc. Must be the last argument. -f name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -F name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -e name Perform pre-authenticated, encrypted login. Must do term negotiation. CONFIGURATION
login.krb5 is also configured via krb5.conf using the login stanza. A collection of options dealing with initial authentication are pro- vided: krb5_get_tickets Use password to get V5 tickets. Default value true. krb_run_aklog Attempt to run aklog. Default value false. aklog_path Where to find it [not yet implemented.] Default value $(prefix)/bin/aklog. accept_passwd Don't accept plaintext passwords [not yet implemented]. Default value false. DIAGNOSTICS
All diagnostic messages are returned on the connection or tty associated with stderr. SEE ALSO
rlogind(8), rlogin(1), telnetd(8) LOGIN(8)