Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BRU utility
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers BRU utility Post 37509 by sherbet808 on Thursday 19th of June 2003 08:38:33 PM
Old 06-19-2003
I do have permission to write files to disk. I still don't understand why I get "Permission denied" when I try to extract the bru files using the command "bru -xvf /dev/nrtape"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What utility do I use for this?

I want to pull out the 3rd column of information and stick in a file. What is the Utility I use to do this? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: James
8 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

bru command

I'm having trouble extracting files from a bru tape. The following are commands that I've tried and the respective outputs. will.rlee 224> bru -vgf /dev/nrtape label: created: Mon Nov 7 18:21:41 1994 device: freedom:/dev/mt/tps0d6 user: root group: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sherbet808
1 Replies

3. Programming

MAKE utility

I wrote a makefile, every thing is working fine, But One of the C header files which is created by me is kept in a different folder other than the current directory, I have given this PATH to VPATH Variable Example :- VPATH = /home/user1/projects/victor.h It gives an error as : file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorvvk
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tr utility to Encrypt

I need some help.. I would like to make a script that uses the tr utility to "encrypt" a selected file. I need to know how to set up the script so that if i type encrypt(script name) the letter that i want to start the encryption and then the file name, that it starts with the entered letter, and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frankthetank115
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem with BRU

Hello, I need to restore a file that was backed up using BRU. For starters I need to know how to list the archive on my tape. I tried the following which is what the man page for BRU sugegsts: bru -xvf /dev/nst1 /violatio.sh I get the following error bru: warning - read error on first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. Solaris

utility of solaris

hello sir, can anyone tell about untility in Solaris similiar untility as SMITY in AIX and SAM in HP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarnathbasis8
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

utility

hi experts, Can you please help me out in removing delimiters with in double quotes from a CSV file. input: ===== a,"bnn,",dgd, "sagfh,dj",ad output ===== a,"bnn",dgd, "sagfhdj",ad there are so mnay fileds in a row and there are millions of rows. Thanks in an advance.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhendu81
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Unzip a file using unzip utility for files zipped without zip utility ?

Hi, I need to zip/compress a data file and send to a vendor. The vendor does have only unzip utility and can accept only .ZIP files. I do not have zip utility in my server. How do I zip/compress the file so that it can be deflated using unzip command ? I tried gzip & compress commands, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BRU -T option

Can someone give me an example how to use bru command line with the -T option? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Using at utility on 10.8.2 not working

I am a beginner, trying to get basic background utilities like at and cron to work on mac os x. I am typing the following at the prompt: at now + 1 minute open -a textedit ^D nothing happens at the appointed time. What to change? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakurashinken
7 Replies
dad(7D) 							      Devices								   dad(7D)

NAME
dad - driver for IDE disk devices SYNOPSIS
dad@ target,lun:partition DESCRIPTION
This driver handles the ide disk drives on SPARC platforms. The type of disk drive is determined using the ATA IDE identify device command and by reading the volume label stored on the drive. The dad device driver supports the Solaris SPARC VTOC and the EFI/GPT disk volume labels. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A single read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are trans- mitted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk. Raw file names are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests to the raw device must be aligned on a 512-byte (DEV_BSIZE) boundary and must have a length that is a multiple of 512 bytes. Requests that do not meet the restrictions cause the driver to return an EINVAL error. I/O requests to the block device have no alignment or length restrictions. Device Statistics Support Each device maintains I/O statistics both for the device and for each partition allocated on that device. For each device/partition, the driver accumulates reads, writes, bytes read, and bytes written. The driver also takes hi-resolution time stamps at queue entry and exit points, which facilitates monitoring the residence time and cumulative residence-length product for each queue. Each device also has error statistics associated with it. These must include counters for hard errors, soft errors and transport errors. Other data may be implemented as required. FILES
/dev/dsk/cntndnsn block files /dev/rdsk/cntndnsn raw files where: cn controller n tn IDE target id n (0-3) dn Always 0. sn partition n (0-7) The target ide numbers are assigned as: 0 Master disk on Primary channel. 1 Slave disk on Primary channel. 2 Master disk on Secondary channel 3 Slave disk on Secondary channel. IOCTLS
Refer to dkio(7I). ERRORS
EACCES Permission denied. EBUSY The partition was opened exclusively by another thread. EFAULT Argument was a bad address. EINVAL Invalid argument. EIO I/O error occurred. ENOTTY The device does not support the requested ioctl function. ENXIO The device did not exist during opening. EROFS The device is a read-only device. SEE ALSO
format(1M), mount(1M), lseek(2), read(2), write(2), driver.conf(4), vfstab(4), dkio(7I) X3T10 ATA-4 specifications. DIAGNOSTICS
Command:<number>, Error:<number>, Status:<number> Indicates that the command failed with an error and provides status register contents. Where <number> is a hexadecimal value. offline The driver has decided that the target disk is no longer there. disk ok The target disk is now responding again. disk not responding to selection The target disk is not responding. i/o to invalid geometry The geometry of the drive could not be established. incomplete read/write - retrying/giving up There was a residue after the command completed normally. no bp for disk label A bp with consistent memory could not be allocated. no memory for disk label Free memory pool exhausted. ATA transport failed: reason 'nnnn': {retrying|giving} The host adapter has failed to transport a command to the target for the reason stated. The driver will either retry the command or, ultimately, give up. no mem for property Free memory pool exhausted. transport rejected (<n>) Host adapter driver was unable to accept a command. Device Fault Device fault - reason for such error is vendor specific. SunOS 5.11 24 Oct 2005 dad(7D)