Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Domain
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Domain Post 375 by Neo on Wednesday 29th of November 2000 10:40:28 AM
Old 11-29-2000
Hammer & Screwdriver

If you plan to remotely administer your files on a web server that is UNIX based, then learning to use the UNIX shell is very important. The shell is the environment in which you work, including moving files, editing files, etc. Having a strong knowledge of the environment you work in is highly recommended.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Looking up hosts under a domain

hello folks, I am looking for a command on Unix/Linux that will query the hosts connected to a domain.. For Ex: I would like to know what hosts are attached to domain brown.edu . Assume there are: cs.brown.edu, cob.brown.edu, math.brown.edu, mail.brown.edu, web.brown.edu and so on. So when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milhan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

alias for domain name

Hi, how to create an alias for a domain name in /etc/hosts file ? Wh have this : 192.168.2.30 mymachine.domaine1.domaine2.com mymachine How can I create an alias for mymachine.domaine1.domaine2.com ?? Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logging into domain

I cannot log into domain. domain name is "mshome", i set up Samba domain server PDS, and i try to log in from Win xp but is when I put in mycomputer, domain name for xp - mshome, which is domain name, it automaticly asks for username and pass. i enter username and pass and it says - "The following... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: salvor_hardin
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Domain name

Hi, How to set domain name in solaris 5.10 ? Also what is the command to see the domain name ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bang_dba
2 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to: Linux BOX in Windows Domain (w/out joining the domain)

Dear Expert, i have linux box that is running in the windows domain, BUT did not being a member of the domain. as I am not the System Administrator so I have no control on the server in the network, such as modify dns entry , add the linux box in AD and domain record and so on that relevant. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pinging a domain

how can you ping a domain and store the ip? like given a url in a variable $url how can i ping it? also how can i find the local server's ip address on a cpanel server? (i have multiple servers and didnt want to hard code it in) (basically i want to check the domain accounts on the server,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh domain name

hey there i'm facing an issue with my script, I'm not sure there's a solution.. I want to get information about the rest of the machines that share the same domain name with me.I know that this is possible by using the rsh command, but the thing is that i'd like to know if it's possible to have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlm
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Certain domain cannot access

hi there, im beginner in solaris 10. we are using solaris 10 as our DNS server Solaris 10 8/07 s10s_u4wos_12b SPARC Copyright 2007 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Use is subject to license terms. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tappetmus
0 Replies
xpamethod(7)							SAORD Documentation						      xpamethod(7)

NAME
XPAMethod - XPA Communication Methods SYNOPSIS
XPA supports both inet and unix (local) socket communication. DESCRIPTION
XPA uses sockets for communication between processes. It supports three methods of socket communication: inet, localhost, and unix. In gen- eral, the same method should be employed for all XPA processes in a session and the global environment variable XPA_METHOD should be used to set up the desired method. By default, the preferred method is "inet", which is appropriate for most users. You can set up a different method by typing something like: setenv XPA_METHOD local # unix csh XPA_METHOD=local; export XPA_METHOD # unix sh, bash, windows/cygwin set XPA_METHOD=localhost # dos/windows The options for XPA_METHOD are: inet, unix (or local), and localhost. On Unix machines, this environment setup command can be placed in your shell init file (.cshrc, .profile, .bashrc, etc.) On Windows platforms, it can be placed in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file (I think!). By default, inet sockets are used by XPA. These are the standard Internet sockets that are used by programs such as Netscape, ftp. etc. Inet sockets utilize the IP address of the given machine and a (usually random) port number to communicate between processes on the same machine or between different machines on the Internet. (Note that XPA has an Access Control mechanism to prevent unauthorized access of XPA access points by other computers on the Net). For users connected to the Internet, this usually is the appropriate communication method. For more information about setting up XPA communication between machines, see Communication Between Machines. In you are using XPA on a machine without an Internet connection, then inet sockets are not appropriate. In fact, an XPA process often will hang for many seconds while waiting for a response from the Domain Name Service (DNS) when using inet sockets. Instead of inet sockets, users on Unix platforms can also use unix sockets (also known as local sockets). These sockets are based on the local file system and do not make use of the DNS. They generally are considered to be faster than inet sockets, but they are not implemented under Windows. Use local sockets as a first resort if you are on a Unix machine that is not connected to the Internet. Users not connected to the Internet also can use localhost sockets. These are also inet-type sockets but the IP address used for the local machine is the localhost address, 0x7F000001, instead of the real IP of the machine. Depending on how sockets are set up for a given plat- form, communication with the DNS usually is not required in this case (though of course, XPA cannot interact with other machines). The localhost method will generally work on both Unix and Windows platforms, but whether the DNS is required or not is subject to individual configurations. A final warning/reminder: if your XPA-enabled server hangs at startup time and your XPA_METHOD is inet, the problem probably is related to an incorrect Internet configuration. This can be confirmed by using the unix method or (usually) the localhost method. You can use these alternate methods if other hosts do not need access to the XPA server. SEE ALSO
See xpa(7) for a list of XPA help pages version 2.1.14 June 7, 2012 xpamethod(7)