Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers GNU and Linux: Different or the same? Post 37458 by Tux on Thursday 19th of June 2003 09:20:18 AM
Old 06-19-2003
GNU gives you the basic tool. Things like cp, mv, mount, gcc, GRUB. Those sorts of things. The tools that are small and do a single job are generally GNU and common across any *nix box you sit at.

Other user space stuff like Xfree, your email client, KDE are made by different groups.
The distro maker packages all these together to make it user friendly. They give you GUI config tools, a nice installer, themes, support, package management tools etc etc
They often modify the Linux kernel itself, doing things like 2.5 backports.
All distros are essentiall GNU/Linux it just depend who you are talking to as to whether they call it that.

The hardcore GNU people still regard Linux as a stop-gap until the HURD is fully ready, although the nay-sayers whinge that HURD is just vapourware.
Maybe you should check out www.gnu.org

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Fedora

FreeBSD or GNU/Linux?

Hi, i'm working on micro$oft windows based networking environment's. i want learn other os than micro$oft windows. i tested FreeBSD & Gnu/Linux (Fedora). both are similar. which of following is best choice for me? for networking? and which of them has future (for e.g not discontinued after 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skynet_boy
3 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Read *.accdb files in GNU/Linux

Hi Guys, Can you please suggest me to read the *.accdb files under linux enviornment? I have google a bit. There is some solution to convert the *.accdb files under windows environment. But I am trying to do it in Linux environment. Please provide your thoughts. Thanks, Ranga :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rangarasan
3 Replies
GPUTILS(1)							Linux user's manual							GPUTILS(1)

NAME
gputils - GNU PIC utilities DESCRIPTION
gputils is a collection of development tools for Microchip (TM) PIC (TM) microcontrollers. It's intended to be compatible with the manufac- turer's tools, MPASM, MPLINK and MPLIB. SEE ALSO
gpasm(1), gpdasm(1), gplib(1), gplink(1), gpstrip(1), gpvc(1), gpvo(1) AUTHOR
Craig Franklin <craigfranklin@users.sourceforge.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 James Bowman, Craig Franklin This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. gputils-0.13.7 2007-10-27 GPUTILS(1)