Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers GNU and Linux: Different or the same? Post 37445 by Minnesota Red on Wednesday 18th of June 2003 11:55:18 PM
Old 06-19-2003
ok so debian is classified as gnu/linux, which means it uses gnu's system, but linux's kernel. AND redhat is just linux... so does that mean it uses linux's system and kernel? SO really, debian would appear to be something totally different, because it uses a different system.

One thing I dont get is the name... GNU means Gnu Not Linux...?
That makes no sense. Thats like saying a cookie is comprized of a cookie, plus chocolate chips.

M.R. Smilie

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Fedora

FreeBSD or GNU/Linux?

Hi, i'm working on micro$oft windows based networking environment's. i want learn other os than micro$oft windows. i tested FreeBSD & Gnu/Linux (Fedora). both are similar. which of following is best choice for me? for networking? and which of them has future (for e.g not discontinued after 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skynet_boy
3 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Read *.accdb files in GNU/Linux

Hi Guys, Can you please suggest me to read the *.accdb files under linux enviornment? I have google a bit. There is some solution to convert the *.accdb files under windows environment. But I am trying to do it in Linux environment. Please provide your thoughts. Thanks, Ranga :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rangarasan
3 Replies
Linux::Distribution::Packages(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			Linux::Distribution::Packages(3pm)

NAME
Linux::Distribution::Packages - list all packages on various Linux distributions SYNOPSIS
use Linux::Distribution::Packages qw(distribution_packages distribution_write); $linux = new Linux::Distribution::Packages({'format' => 'csv', 'output_file' => 'packages.csv'}); $linux->distribution_write(); # Or you can (re)set the options when you write. $linux->distribution_write({'format' => 'xml', 'output_file' => 'packages.xml'}); # If you want to reload the package data $linux->distribution_packages(); DESCRIPTION
This is a simple module that uses Linux::Distribution to guess the linux distribution and then uses the correct commands to list all the packages on the system and then output them in one of three formats: native, csv, and xml. Distributions currently working: debian, ubuntu, fedora, redhat, suse, gentoo, slackware, redflag. The module inherits from Linux::Distribution, so can also use its calls. EXPORT None by default. TODO
* Add the capability to correctly get packages for all recognized distributions. * Seperate out parsing from writing. Parse data to hash and give access to hash. Then write the formatted data from the hash. AUTHORS
Judith Lebzelter, <judith@osdl.org> Alberto Re, <alberto@accidia.net> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.5 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.10.1 2006-04-19 Linux::Distribution::Packages(3pm)