Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: So many types of LINUX's!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers So many types of LINUX's! Post 37440 by Minnesota Red on Wednesday 18th of June 2003 09:05:23 PM
Old 06-18-2003
Power So many types of LINUX's!

I installed Redhat into my system. The reason? This was the version my friend was running and he told me about this one, so I downloaded and installed it. Simple enough Smilie

But as I am searching the net, I am coming across many other forms of linux made by other companies. Redhat seems to be the most popular (maybe this is reason my friend suggested it to me Smilie ), but I have another friend who runs his web server using debian. I have also come across suse, mandrakesoft, slackware, and caldera.

My question is what are the main differences between these different versions? As a newbie, is this a difference I would likely notice? What would be the pros of using some of these versions of linux over the other?

Sorry if my question seems really broad, but I would like to find out why there are so many choices and what the differences are so I can make the best choice for myself.

Thanx

M.R. Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

servers types

dear sir , i would like to ask about sun solaries servers generations ? i hear about sparc and ultra . i want to know the versions , and is there other servers types ?? Thank (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

associated file types

I have a file of type .for extension .In a guui based unix environment like solaris if I double click on that file a specific program designed by me has to run which takes this file as the parameter and exceutes the program. Can anyone help me? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhk_srd
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mime types

Hi, I am trying to launch an ogg movie from a pdf file which has been produced with pdflatex and \movie {\centerline{\includegraphics {grafiques_xerrades/un_manolo_amb_camera.pdf}}} {hlims_xerrades/XocCumuls.ogg} The switch "externalviewer" makes kpdf launch the default... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pau
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

newbie: Linux Server Names & Types..!!!

Any one tell me about the list of Redhat Linux Enterprise 5 SERVERS and their functions. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman103
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the partition types in linux

How do we find the partition type in Linux? df -T will give me the mounted partition types like ufs, ext3 etc. How do I find out for say a newly added disk to the system? Please advise... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lubu
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does linux recognize file types?

Hey , I was wondering how does Linux recognize file types if he doesn't use extensions to determine the file type ? It's just a question not for a script or something else. thnx:o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eclecticaa
3 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with using different types of GREP

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hey there, I'm brand new to using Unix as I just started a course on it in my University, and I currently working through a worksheet which focuses on the many commands and methods of GREP (I'm working through the terminal command... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilvarHawke
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp -r except certain file types

the following excludes certain directories successfully cp -r probe/!(dir) /destination I want to exclude certain file types and tried unsuccessfully cp -r probe/!(*.avi) /destination (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmf
2 Replies

9. Programming

Are These All The Integer Types In C

Hello and Good day, I am currently studying C and I just finished learning about variables mainly those of integer type. I am wondering if the list below are all there is to integer variables and there are still more that i have to learn. Here are the list: Char Short int long long long... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: split_func0
3 Replies
UUID_COMPARE(3) 						    Libuuid API 						   UUID_COMPARE(3)

NAME
uuid_compare - compare whether two UUIDs are the same SYNOPSIS
#include <uuid/uuid.h> int uuid_compare(uuid_t uu1, uuid_t uu2) DESCRIPTION
The uuid_compare function compares the two supplied uuid variables uu1 and uu2 to each other. RETURN VALUE
Returns an integer less than, equal to, or greater than zero if uu1 is found, respectively, to be lexigraphically less than, equal, or greater than uu2. AUTHOR
Theodore Y. Ts'o AVAILABILITY
libuuid is part of the util-linux-ng package since version 2.15.1 and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux- ng/. SEE ALSO
uuid(3), uuid_clear(3), uuid_copy(3), uuid_generate(3), uuid_is_null(3), uuid_parse(3), uuid_unparse(3) util-linux-ng May 2009 UUID_COMPARE(3)