Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers GNU and Linux: Different or the same? Post 37439 by Minnesota Red on Wednesday 18th of June 2003 08:54:46 PM
Old 06-18-2003
Question GNU and Linux: Different or the same?

Sorry for sounding like an incredible n00b, but as I have been lurking and searching on the net, I have come across something that may be common sense to most, but to me is confusing. I constantly see the word GNU when I do searches for Linux, both on this web site and on search engines. I found out that GNU is an acronym for Not Unix (which doesn't explain the "g," but I will buy it Smilie ). So is GNU another word for Linux, or are they something totally different? Maybe GNU is a part of Linux. I am confused. Can someone help me out?

Last edited by Minnesota Red; 06-20-2003 at 12:04 AM..

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Fedora

FreeBSD or GNU/Linux?

Hi, i'm working on micro$oft windows based networking environment's. i want learn other os than micro$oft windows. i tested FreeBSD & Gnu/Linux (Fedora). both are similar. which of following is best choice for me? for networking? and which of them has future (for e.g not discontinued after 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skynet_boy
3 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Read *.accdb files in GNU/Linux

Hi Guys, Can you please suggest me to read the *.accdb files under linux enviornment? I have google a bit. There is some solution to convert the *.accdb files under windows environment. But I am trying to do it in Linux environment. Please provide your thoughts. Thanks, Ranga :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rangarasan
3 Replies
Lynkeos(1x)															       Lynkeos(1x)

NAME
Lynkeos - application dedicated to the processing of astronomical (mainly planetary) images taken with a webcam through a telescope. SYNOPSIS
lynkeos.app DESCRIPTION
This manual page describe succintly the aims of the Lynkeos application. How does it work? By stacking the best images, the signal to noise ratio is increased and details lost in the noise of individual images become visible in the resulting image. This software accepts movie sequences or still images, in any image format supported by GNUstep or Ffmpeg library, as input It generates a 16 bits RGB TIFF image as output, to be further processed with some all-purpose image processing application. The steps to process a collection of images are : * collect the movies and/or pictures, * collect calibration (dark and flat fields) movies and/or pictures (optional), * align the images, * select the best images, * stack the selected ones, * process the resulting image. FILES
All configuration are made through the GNUstep ability. SEE ALSO
Official Lynkeos web site. http://lynkeos.sourceforge.net/ You find help and tutorials. Lynkeos-GNU/Linux specific web site. http://christophe.jalady.free.fr/lynkeos/ You find some specific information on the port on GNU/Linux of Lynkeos. AUTHORS
Lynkeos is writting by LAMIAUD Jean-Etienne <j-etienne@users.sourceforge.net>. The GNU/Linux port is made by JALADY Christophe <christophe.jalady@free.fr>. Lynkeos 2005-04-17 Lynkeos(1x)