Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Detecting data loss during FTP Post 37400 by RTM on Wednesday 18th of June 2003 09:37:02 AM
Old 06-18-2003
Transfering another file is a good idea IF you put the verifiable information into it about the main file you were sending. On a ftp from one UNIX system to another, I put the output of ls -s mymainfile.dat into filesize.dat. Then on the receiving side, the cron job that runs waits for filesize.dat to start processing (this also insures that the main file is completed since it went first).
It gets the information on the size of the file and compares it.

You could (if going from UNIX to UNIX) also use the sum command.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

data corruption with ftp transfer

Hi again, first of all thanks for you help on my last problem, the problem is solved now. But I have many problem :) This time, I transfered a big file, ~3,5 GByte, with ftp from a Sun machine to a linux box, RedHat 7.3. But the file recieved on the Linux Box is corrupt, with smaller files... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcom
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Response time under packet loss

I am experiencing a problem where under a dial condition I am experiencing packet loss, which is failrly normal, but the response to the packet loss is taking bewteen 6 and 10 seconds. Could someone please advise what the industry standard is on the response time under a packet loss senario. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shane
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detecting a successfull FTP connection

I have a question. My company has to send a file to another company. The cron script currently just sends the file. However, every now and then the other companies ftp server is down. I wanted to alter my script to detect if the server is up before I attempt to send the file. My idea follows #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

packet loss problem

I have 4 network ports on our T5240 sun server. all but 1 gives packet losses (nxge1) nxge0 gives on average 50% packet loss, very bad. nxge2 gives on average 1-2% packet loss. nxge3 gives on average 20% packet loss. Is there a tool or something to help me find the problem? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Download data from ftp.

Dear all, I am beginner to shell scripting. I have to download more than 1k files from ftp site. link is below ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/genomes/Bacteria/ Earlier i was using wget url, for download but the problem is some times folder names get changed, i don't know how to move in directories... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: admax
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Packet loss on ce interface.

Hi, I am using the ce interface on my Solaris 9 server and there is significant packet loss when transmitting large packets. Does anyone have a fix for this? ----10.1.0.0 PING Statistics---- 51 packets transmitted, 42 packets received, 17% packet loss round-trip (ms) min/avg/max =... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
12 Replies