Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Detecting data loss during FTP Post 37395 by sameerbo on Wednesday 18th of June 2003 07:01:05 AM
Old 06-18-2003
Hi,

That means the occurance for code 226 is an indication that there has been no data loss.

One of my colleague gave me the suggestion to this that, I should transfer another dummy file of say, 1 byte and I should check the status for both the file. If I get the ok status of both the file than that means that there is no data loss.
According to him this has been done in other project and it has been successful.

Well, I am not quite convinced!! Smilie
If the return code 226 it-self is indication of no data loss than why should I go for transffering another file, and complicate my code?

What do you say? Can this new technique be of any help?

TiA,
Sameer.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

data corruption with ftp transfer

Hi again, first of all thanks for you help on my last problem, the problem is solved now. But I have many problem :) This time, I transfered a big file, ~3,5 GByte, with ftp from a Sun machine to a linux box, RedHat 7.3. But the file recieved on the Linux Box is corrupt, with smaller files... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcom
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Response time under packet loss

I am experiencing a problem where under a dial condition I am experiencing packet loss, which is failrly normal, but the response to the packet loss is taking bewteen 6 and 10 seconds. Could someone please advise what the industry standard is on the response time under a packet loss senario. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shane
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detecting a successfull FTP connection

I have a question. My company has to send a file to another company. The cron script currently just sends the file. However, every now and then the other companies ftp server is down. I wanted to alter my script to detect if the server is up before I attempt to send the file. My idea follows #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

packet loss problem

I have 4 network ports on our T5240 sun server. all but 1 gives packet losses (nxge1) nxge0 gives on average 50% packet loss, very bad. nxge2 gives on average 1-2% packet loss. nxge3 gives on average 20% packet loss. Is there a tool or something to help me find the problem? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Download data from ftp.

Dear all, I am beginner to shell scripting. I have to download more than 1k files from ftp site. link is below ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/genomes/Bacteria/ Earlier i was using wget url, for download but the problem is some times folder names get changed, i don't know how to move in directories... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: admax
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Packet loss on ce interface.

Hi, I am using the ce interface on my Solaris 9 server and there is significant packet loss when transmitting large packets. Does anyone have a fix for this? ----10.1.0.0 PING Statistics---- 51 packets transmitted, 42 packets received, 17% packet loss round-trip (ms) min/avg/max =... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
12 Replies
STRCAT(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 STRCAT(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat - concatenate two strings SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char *strcat(char *dest, const char *src); char *strncat(char *dest, const char *src, size_t n); DESCRIPTION
The strcat() function appends the src string to the dest string, overwriting the terminating null byte ('') at the end of dest, and then adds a terminating null byte. The strings may not overlap, and the dest string must have enough space for the result. If dest is not large enough, program behavior is unpredictable; buffer overruns are a favorite avenue for attacking secure programs. The strncat() function is similar, except that * it will use at most n bytes from src; and * src does not need to be null-terminated if it contains n or more bytes. As with strcat(), the resulting string in dest is always null-terminated. If src contains n or more bytes, strncat() writes n+1 bytes to dest (n from src plus the terminating null byte). Therefore, the size of dest must be at least strlen(dest)+n+1. A simple implementation of strncat() might be: char* strncat(char *dest, const char *src, size_t n) { size_t dest_len = strlen(dest); size_t i; for (i = 0 ; i < n && src[i] != '' ; i++) dest[dest_len + i] = src[i]; dest[dest_len + i] = ''; return dest; } RETURN VALUE
The strcat() and strncat() functions return a pointer to the resulting string dest. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, C89, C99. NOTES
Some systems (the BSDs, Solaris, and others) provide the following function: size_t strlcat(char *dest, const char *src, size_t size); This function appends the null-terminated string src to the string dest, copying at most size-strlen(dest)-1 from src, and adds a null ter- minator to the result, unless size is less than strlen(dest). This function fixes the buffer overrun problem of strcat(), but the caller must still handle the possibility of data loss if size is too small. The function returns the length of the string strlcat() tried to cre- ate; if the return value is greater than or equal to size, data loss occurred. If data loss matters, the caller must either check the arguments before the call, or test the function return value. strlcat() is not present in glibc and is not standardized by POSIX, but is available on Linux via the libbsd library. SEE ALSO
bcopy(3), memccpy(3), memcpy(3), strcpy(3), string(3), strncpy(3), wcscat(3), wcsncat(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2012-07-19 STRCAT(3)