Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BRU utility
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers BRU utility Post 37208 by RTM on Friday 13th of June 2003 05:40:59 PM
Old 06-13-2003
I doubt there are many IRIX or bru folks hitting this site, so I went searching. Found a man page for bru and read through it.

To extract what is on the tape, you would use the -x option.
To inspect the archive on the tape (before extracting it) you would use the -i option. I would also suggest you use the -vv option with it to show info from the header block.

To step through this, try the following

$ bru -ivvf /dev/nrtape

This will check that your archive is good. It's possible that it isn't (from the information you already posted) - a tape that is almost 10 years old may not be in pristine condition.

From this point on I'm assuming the tape is okay...
Next, see what is on the tape - this is important if you don't want to overwrite information already on disk.

$ bru -tvf /dev/nrtape

This will list everything on the tape. If the output looks something like this...

./mydir/myfile
./mydir/myotherfile

then you can get ready to extract the archive into a newly created directory or any directory you want.

If the output looks something like this...

/mydir/myfile
/mydir/myotherfile

then the archive will possibly overwrite files on your system. You should know if you are willing to do that.

Once you verify the information, a generic extract could be done.

$ cd /where_I_want_extract
$ bru -xvf /dev/nrtape

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What utility do I use for this?

I want to pull out the 3rd column of information and stick in a file. What is the Utility I use to do this? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: James
8 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

bru command

I'm having trouble extracting files from a bru tape. The following are commands that I've tried and the respective outputs. will.rlee 224> bru -vgf /dev/nrtape label: created: Mon Nov 7 18:21:41 1994 device: freedom:/dev/mt/tps0d6 user: root group: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sherbet808
1 Replies

3. Programming

MAKE utility

I wrote a makefile, every thing is working fine, But One of the C header files which is created by me is kept in a different folder other than the current directory, I have given this PATH to VPATH Variable Example :- VPATH = /home/user1/projects/victor.h It gives an error as : file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorvvk
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tr utility to Encrypt

I need some help.. I would like to make a script that uses the tr utility to "encrypt" a selected file. I need to know how to set up the script so that if i type encrypt(script name) the letter that i want to start the encryption and then the file name, that it starts with the entered letter, and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frankthetank115
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem with BRU

Hello, I need to restore a file that was backed up using BRU. For starters I need to know how to list the archive on my tape. I tried the following which is what the man page for BRU sugegsts: bru -xvf /dev/nst1 /violatio.sh I get the following error bru: warning - read error on first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. Solaris

utility of solaris

hello sir, can anyone tell about untility in Solaris similiar untility as SMITY in AIX and SAM in HP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarnathbasis8
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

utility

hi experts, Can you please help me out in removing delimiters with in double quotes from a CSV file. input: ===== a,"bnn,",dgd, "sagfh,dj",ad output ===== a,"bnn",dgd, "sagfhdj",ad there are so mnay fileds in a row and there are millions of rows. Thanks in an advance.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhendu81
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Unzip a file using unzip utility for files zipped without zip utility ?

Hi, I need to zip/compress a data file and send to a vendor. The vendor does have only unzip utility and can accept only .ZIP files. I do not have zip utility in my server. How do I zip/compress the file so that it can be deflated using unzip command ? I tried gzip & compress commands, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BRU -T option

Can someone give me an example how to use bru command line with the -T option? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Using at utility on 10.8.2 not working

I am a beginner, trying to get basic background utilities like at and cron to work on mac os x. I am typing the following at the prompt: at now + 1 minute open -a textedit ^D nothing happens at the appointed time. What to change? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakurashinken
7 Replies
mt-dds(1)						      General Commands Manual							 mt-dds(1)

NAME
mt-dds - tool to control a dds device. SYNOPSIS
mt-dds comp-on|comp-off|comp-query|comp-log mt-dds < tell|label > [ -b # ] DESCRIPTION
mt-dds controls the compression mode of dds tape devices (DAT). mt-dds may also report the current tape position in absolute records (relative to begin of tape) in a format that may be used later by dds2tar(1) to access tar archives that are not the first file on tape. The default device is /dev/nst0, which may be overridden with the environment variable TAPE, which in turn may be overridden with the -f device option. The device must be a character special file. OPTIONS
DDS tape device control options comp-on Enable the hardware compression mode if supported by the device. comp-off Disable the compression mode, switch to normal mode. comp-query Print to stderr if compression mode currently is disabled or enabled. A 0 means compression is disabled, a 1 means compression in enabled. comp-log Print to stdout four lines of information about transferred kilobytes before and after hardware compression from and to the device since initialization. dds2tar service functions tell Print three lines with the current tape position, a block size value (20 by default, may be overridden with -b option) and a block length value (blocksize*512) to stdout. If this output is redirected to a location file locfile, this file may be used by dds2tar(1) to access archives on tape. label If the current tape position is the beginning of an archive and the archive is labeled, mt-dds writes the label to stdout and moves the tape back to the current position (or back over the filemark). ts If the current tape position is the beginning of an archive and the archive is labeled, mt-dds writes the timestamp in octal format to stdout and moves the tape back to the current position (or back over the filemark). If you are using only one computer, the timestamp can be used as a unique archive identifier. -b # Specify the block size # value that is used as a default for the written value with the mt-dds tell command (see above). Also the internal buffer size is specified with this option which is used to read one block in order to get the block size of the current tape block. So specify the block size of the archive or a larger number. other options -f device Device of the tape archive (default is /dev/nst0). Must be a character special file connected to a dds tape device. -V,--version Print the version number of mt-dds to stderr and exit immediately. --help print some screens of online help with examples through a pager and exit immediately. EXAMPLES
Example 1: checking the compression mode of the default tape device mt-dds comp-query Example 2: Write the location information as dds2tar command line options to stdout. mt-dds ENVIRONMENT
The environment variable TAPE overrides the default tape device /dev/nst0. PAGER The environment variable PAGER overrides the builtin pager command ("/bin/more") to display the output of the --help option. SEE ALSO
dds2tar(1), dds2index(1), mt(1), tar(1) HISTORY
This program was created to use it in conjunction with dds2tar. AUTHOR
J"org Weule (weule@cs.uni-duesseldorf.de), Phone +49 211 751409. This software is available at ftp.uni-duesseldorf.de:/pub/unix/apollo 2.4 mt-dds(1)