Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ping script using Redhat and BAsh Post 37149 by google on Friday 13th of June 2003 09:30:13 AM
Old 06-13-2003
Using Oombera's suggestion on another thread....
echo "1024MB" | awk '{print substr($1,0,4)}' # print first four numbers / chars
echo "1024MB" | sed 's/[A-Za-z]*//g' # removes all letters
x=${x%%[A-Za-z]*} # remove everything after (and including) any chars - Note this is specific to Korn Shell

setup your variables in you iplist.txt so that they are in a consistent format. Then, instead of using $FILE, use one of the above suggestions to get either the IP address or the actual name. You will of course have to make some modifications. The code above will remove the characters from the variables. You will need to remove numbers and dots to reverse this.

Do a google search on SendMail Flags to get correct formatting.

Last edited by google; 06-13-2003 at 10:38 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With Ping Script

Hello all...I'm new to Unix and learning. What I'm trying to create is a script that will ping a known range of IP addresses, say 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254. For each address that no reply is received, that address will be written to a log file that will be emailed to an administrator. My wife... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spmitchell
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script for ping in your own subnet

I have a question for one who wants to help me. I want to create a bash script to ping IP-adresses. It must first ask me the beginnen IP, then the ending IP like: 192.168.100.1 - 192.168.100.255. When nothing is filled in, then it must find my subnet and ping that, like when my ip is... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ugurgazi
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ping bash script to file

Hello: I have this script: #!/bin/bash #for loop for ip in `cat ips` do ping $ip | grep "is alive">>pingtestlog done And its working properly with this input: ericadm@amxcruas1> cat ips 10.196.60.4 10.196.61.210 10.196.62.73 10.196.61.152 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asenav1
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using ping in script

Hi. I have a server with multiple network ports that need to be tested to a list of destinations. I'm trying to write a scripts to automate this but can't seem to get past an error and could use some help. I have two test files one contains the ip addresses of the onboard NICs and the other... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikez104
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need bash script to ping the servers and rename the output file each time the script is ran

HI, I have a file serverlist in that all host names are placed. i have written a small script #./testping #! /bin/bash for i in `cat serverlist` do ping $i >> output.txt done so now it creates a file output.txt till here fine.. now each time i run this script the output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhudeva
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping with timeout bash

Hi experts: I want to do below thing with bash if ping 192.168.0.1 sucussful then do somthing without delay, if ping failed within 20s, then kill ping and exit not sure this can use "alarm" to do this. any code will be welcome Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping script

hello fellows, I need help with a script, I'm using this one HOSTS="192.168.10.9 192.168.10.15 " SUBJECT="Attention - Gateway San Martin DOWN " COUNT=1 EMAILID="lmail@mydomain.com" for myHost in $HOSTS do count=$(ping -c $COUNT $myHost | grep 'received' | awk -F',' '{ print $2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucas.fradusco
2 Replies

9. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
unset(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  unset(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
unset - Delete variables SYNOPSIS
unset ?-nocomplain? ?--? ?name name name ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command removes one or more variables. Each name is a variable name, specified in any of the ways acceptable to the set command. If a name refers to an element of an array then that element is removed without affecting the rest of the array. If a name consists of an array name with no parenthesized index, then the entire array is deleted. The unset command returns an empty string as result. If -nocom- plain is specified as the first argument, any possible errors are suppressed. The option may not be abbreviated, in order to disambiguate it from possible variable names. The option -- indicates the end of the options, and should be used if you wish to remove a variable with the same name as any of the options. If an error occurs, any variables after the named one causing the error are not deleted. An error can occur when the named variable does not exist, or the name refers to an array element but the variable is a scalar, or the name refers to a variable in a non-existent namespace. EXAMPLE
Create an array containing a mapping from some numbers to their squares and remove the array elements for non-prime numbers: array set squares { 1 1 6 36 2 4 7 49 3 9 8 64 4 16 9 81 5 25 10 100 } puts "The squares are:" parray squares unset squares(1) squares(4) squares(6) unset squares(8) squares(9) squares(10) puts "The prime squares are:" parray squares SEE ALSO
set(n), trace(n), upvar(n) KEYWORDS
remove, variable Tcl 8.4 unset(n)