Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: strange sed behavior
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers strange sed behavior Post 37138 by Kevin Pryke on Friday 13th of June 2003 04:32:12 AM
Old 06-13-2003
I've sorted it now, I ended up using dtox & then echoing it to a file like you suggested. This sort of thing

>$1.okp
dtox $1.kp > $1.dtox
for line in `cat $1.dtox`
do
echo $line >> $1.okp
done

Have to release a patch over 220 boxes now though!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Behavior on COM2

Hi, I have a problem with a new touch screen controller that I am trying to use on a SCO 3.0 system. THe touch screen controller only wants to talk at 9600baud. I have updated /etc/inittab per the manual and also edited /usr/lib/event/devices to use 9600 baud. The only way I can get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elwood51
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Strange Behavior for redirection

I have searched far and wide for an explanation for some odd behavior for output redirection and haven't come up with anything. A co-worker was working on old scripts which have run for years and embedded in their code were output redirects which worked for the script during execution and then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cahook
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk strange behavior

Dear guys; when deleting repeated lines using nawk as below ; Why the below syntax works? nawk ' !a++' infile > outfile and when using the other below syntax the nawk doesn't work? nawk ' { !a++ } ' infile > outfile or nawk ' { !a++ } ' infile > outfile BR (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.diab
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed strange quotes behavior

Hi gurus input file: 1 2 3 4 desired output 1 2\ 2a 3 4 I tried (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
6 Replies

5. Programming

Strange behavior in C++

I have the following program: int main(int argc, char** argv){ unsigned long int mean=0; for(int i=1;i<10;i++){ mean+=poisson(12); cout<<mean<<endl; } cout<<"Sum of poisson: "<< mean; return 0; } when I run it, I get the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santiagorf
4 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Ubuntu strange behavior

It is so till login screen. I mean that when I boot my computer, Ubuntu shows a splash screen with mouse instead of Ubuntu logo and in the login screen it shows XUbuntu login screen... It began when I upgraded to previous kernel, I suppose, but I'm not sure... I can't say that it annoys me very... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

strange mail behavior

Hi I have script to to take backup and send mail to a group once a day. One strange behavior I have observed recently is that most of the time the mail we receive is fine . But someday it just sends out mail without any subject with undisclosed recipients. I dont know how to find the cause... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior on one of my server

I am not sure what is wrong, but I have some strange behavior when printing things out. I do create a file with only one word test, no space, no new line etc. nano file<enter> test<ctrl x>y<enter> Server 1 gets (fail) awk '{print "+"$0"*"}' file *test Server 2 gets (OK) awk '{print... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

9. AIX

Strange behavior with tar

I am trying to create an archive using tar. I am specifying a list of directories using the -L option. For testing purposes I created a simple directory structure: /backup/test /backup/test/test1 /backup/test/test2 The file specified by the -L option, named files.txt, contains:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: judykstra
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior of grep

Hi All, I am facing a strange problem while grepping for a process. Here is the small script that i have written. It will look for any process running with the parameter passed to the script. If no process is running it should print appropriate message. $ cat t.ksh #!/bin/ksh set -x ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
9 Replies
SHAPE_PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SHAPE_PATCH(1)

NAME
shape_patch - shapeTools RMS generate patch file SYNOPSIS
shape patch OLDRELEASE=<name1> NEWRELEASE=<name2> [PATCHFILE=<filename>] DESCRIPTION
Shape patch generates a patch file for updating $(OLDRELEASE) to $(NEWRELEASE). Both releases are identified by release names associated with the macros OLD-/NEWRELEASE on the command line. Valid release names are those generated by any of the shape_RMS (pre-)release building procedures (see shape_releas(1)). Performing 'vl -all' with the release identification file as argument usually gives a good overview of existing release names. Patch generation happens recursively over all subsystems being part of the current node. Hence, triggering shape patch from the top node of the central source repository creates a patch file for the whole system. The output of shape patch is stored in a file named <name1>+2+<name2>.pat. When the PATCHFILE macro is set on the command line, $(PATCH- FILE) is taken as output file name instead. Defining PATCHFILE=- on the command line causes the patch to be written to standard output. Note: For patches invoking multiple subsystems, $(PATCHFILE) should be set to an absolute pathname. If not, the patch generation procedure will leave an equally named patch file for each visited subsystem. The patch is constructed using the vdiff(1) command and can be applied to any installation of $(OLDRELEASE) by invoking patch(1). INCONVENIENCES
On System V machines, the generated patch file name will almost certainly exceed the 14 characters filename length limit. SEE ALSO
shape_releas(1), vdiff(1), patch(1) FILES
<name1>+2+<name2>.pat 9.9.119 SHAPE_PATCH(1)