Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ufsdump
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ufsdump Post 3712 by loitschix on Tuesday 10th of July 2001 08:52:06 AM
Old 07-10-2001
MySQL ufsdump...

hi.

it`s no problem to make an ufs-dump to a mounted filesystem, but the meaning is this: if you want a "consistent" state of datas, no process have to write to a file you wanna back up; so when you are really shure NO process is writing to the datas you want to back up, you can run "ufs-dump" unmounted. (check if there are processes with "fuser <dir>" or freeware "lsof").

when you are not shure, go to single-user mode to "kick" all user-processes from the system. but when you wanna be really shure, umount the filesystems to backup, cause there are always systemprocesses writing to filesystems like /var.

best regards,
alex...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

netinstall with ufsdump

Hello all, I was wondering is it possible to install Solaris over the network whit jumpstart and just ufsretore a dump file? The clinet's disk would totally be empty. I know that I can use the rules files, would I put the command to uferestore from the server in the pre install rules file. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: larryase
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ufsdump

hi i would like to backup my OS what is the exact command to do? beside backup to tapes can i back up to a directory in another server? will the command be the same? thanks. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
4 Replies

3. Solaris

ufsdump

Hi, I want to how to take backup of File system From Disk to Disk using ufsdump? Wheather we can take the backup of root file system from one disk to another if tape drive is not available? wheather it is reliable to restore root file system? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ufsdump issue

I ran this dump (as root) and got the following............. # ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0n / DUMP: Writing 32 Kilobyte records DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Tue 11 Dec 2007 06:07:35 AM PST DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch DUMP: Dumping /dev/rdsk/c2t1d0s0 (gambler:/) to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shorty
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ufsdump and restore

I just completed a level 0 ufsdump of the following files:- ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n / ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /usr ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /export/home ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /oracle ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /sapr3 I need to restore ALL the files onto a different machine and continue... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charleywasharo
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Using ufsdump and ufsrestore

HI Gurus, I have a sunfire V445 server running SAP ECC 6.0 with an Oracle database on Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9). I recently completed a ufsdump to tape of the following files:- /, /usr, /oracle, /export, /sapr3, I want to restore these files from tape onto a different server of the same... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charleywasharo
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ufsdump

Hi, I have 5 soraris boxes and i am trying to backup all to SAN.Which backup is more suitable tar or ufsdump? Also pls mention what are the important folders i need to back up. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to do a ufsdump remote?

People i have 2 sun sparc solaris 10. I have one filesystem to 98% and i need to do a ufsdump of that filesystem. THe problem is that i don't have space to allocate the dump of the filesystem. Thats why i want to do it from the other sun and bring the ufs dump to de /FREE filesystem. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enkei17
4 Replies

9. Solaris

ufsdump

Experts, Before patching am advised to take backup : so am going with: ufsdump -0uf /dev/rmt0 / ---> to take the whole / bkp to tape. some servers have /var in diff slice, In this case whether i need to take backup of /var also in tape? ufsdump -ouf /dev/rmt0 /var ---> to take... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fizan
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Ufsdump and migration

Hi all, I have a Solaris 10 running on a M4000. I wanted to migrate it to M10 q1) can I do a ufsdump on / in the m4000 and restore it on the m10 ? q2) how do we ufsrestore on the naked M10 without any OS being install/running in the 1st place ? q3) if the answer to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
5 Replies
UMOUNT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 UMOUNT(8)

NAME
umount -- unmount filesystems SYNOPSIS
umount [-fv] special | node umount -a | -A [-fv] [-h host] [-t type] DESCRIPTION
The umount command calls the unmount(2) system call to remove a special device or the remote node (rhost:path) from the filesystem tree at the point node. If either special or node are not provided, the appropriate information is taken from the list of filesystems provided by getfsent(3). The options are as follows: -a All the filesystems described via getfsent(3) are unmounted. -A All the currently mounted filesystems except the root are unmounted. -f The filesystem is forcibly unmounted. Active special devices continue to work, but all other files return errors if further accesses are attempted. The root filesystem cannot be forcibly unmounted. -h host Only filesystems mounted from the specified host will be unmounted. This option implies the -A option and, unless otherwise speci- fied with the -t option, will only unmount NFS filesystems. -t type Is used to indicate the actions should only be taken on filesystems of the specified type. More than one type may be specified in a comma separated list. The list of filesystem types can be prefixed with ``no'' to specify the filesystem types for which action should not be taken. For example, the umount command: umount -a -t nfs,hfs umounts all filesystems of the type NFS and HFS. -v Verbose, additional information is printed out as each filesystem is unmounted. NOTES
Due to the complex and interwoven nature of Mac OS X, umount may fail often. It is recommended that diskutil(1) (as in, ``diskutil unmount /mnt'') be used instead. SEE ALSO
unmount(2), getfsent(3), mount(8), diskutil(1) HISTORY
A umount command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 8, 1995 4th Berkeley Distribution