Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NIX master in 30 days?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers NIX master in 30 days? Post 37093 by Mr_Proper on Thursday 12th of June 2003 10:12:25 AM
Old 06-12-2003
I think 30 days is sufficient for getting a grasp on the basics. If you studied really hard for 30 days straight, you could come out knowing what everything "does" and what each file is for on a vanilla system.

Though, there is certainly a long, long, long road to mastery. Not only would you need to know certain software, but like any other skill, it takes a large amount of time to know what to do with that knowledge. The only way you can learn the idiosyncracies and operational harmony of Unix is through time. Unix isn't a vocabulary test. There is a lot of theory that you can only learn by persistence. =)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

*nix Desktops

Yeah, we all know where to find screenshots of Unix and Linux, but it would be awesome to see some of your *nix screenshots. Okay.. to explain: This is my KDE desktop on Yellow Dog Linux. I changed the background recently to a Commodore 64 theme (pretty cool) and no longer is the Konstruct Konsole... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnerd
25 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

*nix newb needs books

I am a total newbie to *nix systems. I can already see however that this is an important o/s and i must learn to use it. I also am aware that the information on how to use linux/unix is out there but it all relies on my knowing alot more about ths "nix's" then i do. What i'm asking, inshort, is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shifty
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for something like Citrix for *nix

Hi, I don't mean the client.... I mean the server - I have the client to connect to a windows citrix server already. The next best thing I can use at present is VNC (I only want remote desktop, not application sharing specifically). The thing with VNC is that when you go on you are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls latest 4 days or specify days of files in the directory

Hi, I would like to list latest 2 days, 3 days or 4 days,etc of files in the directory... how? is it using ls? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance data, *nix

Hello, I want to write a tool which fetches performance data from remote machines. Sounds easy? well there are some requirements: No extra "client" software should be needed on the hosts, remote shell access (e.g. SSH) should be enough. -> I'm limited to a small amount of tools. I want CPU,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eliteforce
8 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

radio/airwaves *nix?

hey there, new to the forums here. long story short, i have interests in both HAM radio and *nix OS's and want to start a project that will combine the two. so, the question is: are there any *nix flavors or other distros that were specifically designed for radio/airwave communications, or... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BartlettMagic
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Which is the most secure *nix?

Which is the most secure *nix for home business/ office use? Would have to be fairly well up to date browser and drivers wise. Myself I seem to have settled on RedHat - I've trialled the Desktop, and am part-way through a server trial. I've essentially not managed to keep the browser as secure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
2 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How can I replicate master master and master master MySQL databse replication and HA?

I have an application desigend in PHP and MySQl running on apache web server that I is running on a Amazon EC2 server Centos. I want to implement the master-master and master slave replication and high availability disaster recovery on this application database. For this I have created two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Palak Sharma
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding guidance to learn *NIX more and more

Hello All, This Poll/thread is for views of all forum user regarding following point: There are many people in this forum who are actually not actually working on *NIX(admin or real scripting/automation part) but they are/have learnt scripting and trying to help/guide/advice/sharing... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
11 Replies
AC(1)                                                         General Commands Manual                                                        AC(1)

NAME
ac - print statistics about users' connect time SYNOPSIS
ac [ -d | --daily-totals ] [ -y | --print-year ] [ -p | --individual-totals ] [ people ] [ -f | --file filename ] [ -a | --all-days ] [ --complain ] [ --reboots ] [ --supplants ] [ --timewarps ] [ --compatibility ] [ --tw-leniency num ] [ --tw-suspicious num ] [ -z | --print-zeros ] [ --debug ] [ -V | --version ] [ -h | --help ] DESCRIPTION
ac prints out a report of connect time (in hours) based on the logins/logouts in the current wtmp file. A total is also printed out. The accounting file wtmp is maintained by init(8) and login(1). Neither ac nor login creates the wtmp if it doesn't exist, no accounting is done. To begin accounting, create the file with a length of zero. NOTE: The wtmp file can get really big, really fast. You might want to trim it every once and a while. GNU ac works nearly the same u*x ac, though it's a little smarter in several ways. You should therefore expect differences in the output of GNU ac and the output of ac's on other systems. Use the command info accounting to get additional information. OPTIONS
-d, --daily-totals Print totals for each day rather than just one big total at the end. The output looks like this: Jul 3 total 1.17 Jul 4 total 2.10 Jul 5 total 8.23 Jul 6 total 2.10 Jul 7 total 0.30 -p, --individual-totals Print time totals for each user in addition to the usual everything-lumped-into-one value. It looks like: bob 8.06 goff 0.60 maley 7.37 root 0.12 total 16.15 people Print out the sum total of the connect time used by all of the users included in people. Note that people is a space separated list of valid user names; wildcards are not allowed. -f, --file filename Read from the file filename instead of the system's wtmp file. --complain When the wtmp file has a problem (a time-warp, missing record, or whatever), print out an appropriate error. --reboots Reboot records are NOT written at the time of a reboot, but when the system restarts; therefore, it is impossible to know exactly when the reboot occurred. Users may have been logged into the system at the time of the reboot, and many ac's automatically count the time between the login and the reboot record against the user (even though all of that time shouldn't be, perhaps, if the system is down for a long time, for instance). If you want to count this time, include the flag. *For vanilla ac compatibility, include this flag.* --supplants Sometimes, a logout record is not written for a specific terminal, so the time that the last user accrued cannot be calculated. If you want to include the time from the user's login to the next login on the terminal (though probably incorrect), include this you want to include the time from the user's login to the next login on the terminal (though probably incorrect), include this flag. *For vanilla ac compatibility, include this flag.* --timewarps Sometimes, entries in a wtmp file will suddenly jump back into the past without a clock change record occurring. It is impossible to know how long a user was logged in when this occurs. If you want to count the time between the login and the time warp against the user, include this flag. *For vanilla ac compatibility, include this flag.* --compatibility This is shorthand for typing out the three above options. -a, --all-days If we're printing daily totals, print a record for every day instead of skipping intervening days where there is no login activity. Without this flag, time accrued during those intervening days gets listed under the next day where there is login activity. --tw-leniency num Set the time warp leniency to num seconds. Records in wtmp files might be slightly out of order (most notably when two logins occur within a one-second period - the second one gets written first). By default, this value is set to 60. If the program notices this problem, time is not assigned to users unless the --timewarps flag is used. --tw-suspicious num Set the time warp suspicious value to num seconds. If two records in the wtmp file are farther than this number of seconds apart, there is a problem with the wtmp file (or your machine hasn't been used in a year). If the program notices this problem, time is not assigned to users unless the --timewarps flag is used. -y, --print-year Print year when displaying dates. -z, --print-zeros If a total for any category (save the grand total) is zero, print it. The default is to suppress printing. --debug Print verbose internal information. -V, --version Print the version number of ac to standard output and quit. -h, --help Prints the usage string and default locations of system files to standard output and exits. FILES
wtmp The system wide login record file. See wtmp(5) for further details. AUTHOR
The GNU accounting utilities were written by Noel Cragg <noel@gnu.ai.mit.edu>. The man page was adapted from the accounting texinfo page by Susan Kleinmann <sgk@sgk.tiac.net>. SEE ALSO
login(1), wtmp(5), init(8), sa(8) 2010 August 16 AC(1)