Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers System Layouts For SCO Systems. Post 3703 by shimmer on Tuesday 10th of July 2001 05:50:36 AM
Old 07-10-2001
Tools System Layouts For SCO Systems.

I work as the Systems Administrator for a reasonably large Company. We have just started setting up a WAN. Before this WAN setup started it was a tedious job to admin all our servers all over the country. Before I was officialy the "Systems Administrator" our previous guy setup our new SCO Box to serve all 116 users country wide. There is a big problem with this server. He has set it to Traditional security and it doesn't refresh the Logged in users tables. I know exaclty how to set up a decent system which will do more than just work, I have proved myself in the past by removing NT from this network and providing a smaller more capable Linux Fileserver.

I was woundering if anyone could give me a few ideas on how they set up their Unix servers to see if my plan is perfect or to see how crudy it is. I want to use /dev/u as the Rascal devision, /dev/cs3 as the CS3 division and /dev/home as a userbase directory. I also want to put samba on and use my fileserver as a Domain host. I will be implenting things like kerbos realms and the likes in the future. Does anyone have a fantastic way to set up a good clean, fast Unix Server that can beat my plans. Like for example what you do in your kernel performance tuning and directory structures, managing users etc...

Thanks

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

SCO TCP/IP runtime System for SCO Unix

Hi everyone i have a question for all of you. It may be basic or it may be a good one. I recently aquired a copy of "SCO TCP/IP runtime System for SCO Unix" (thats what the disks say) and for the life of me i can not get it to load. i have tried opening the disk in linux and it can not determine... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cerberus
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remote file copy across 2 systems (AIX and SCO)

Hello, Pls i need to copy some data from AIX Unix 4.3 to a SCO Openserve 5.0.5 using rcp command. But i keep on having permission error. WHAT IS THE SOLTION OR WHAT COMMAND CAN I USE AGAIN (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aji
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare specific columns between two files having different layouts

Hi, My requirement is that I need to compare two files. For example : The first file will be having 15 columns and the second file will be having just 10 columns. Example : File1 : abcd,abrd,fun,D000,$15,$236,$217,$200,$200,$200... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpsridhar
3 Replies

4. Solaris

How to change raid layouts in veritas volume manager?

We have three disks under Raid 5. What should i do to make them Raid 0(striping)..... I mean how to change RAID layouts in VXVM ??? Please tell me with commands ..... Thanks in Advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
0 Replies

5. SCO

SCO Development System for System V 3.2 R4.2

Hi Guys, Some time ago I get a disk for my SCO System V 3.2 R4.2 tcp 1.2.1 distribution. Now 4 Year later I am serarching the development system due to the fact that System V did not come with the C compiler. There is any change to get it ? my intention is academyc only. or anyone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: locovich
3 Replies
started(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						started(7)

NAME
started - event signalling that a job is running SYNOPSIS
started JOB=JOB INSTANCE=INSTANCE [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The started event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon when an instance of a job has finished starting and is now running. The JOB environment variable contains the job name, and the INSTANCE environment variable contains the instance name which will be empty for sin- gle-instance jobs. init(8) emits this event as an informational signal, services and tasks started or stopped by this event will do so in parallel with other activity. It is typically combined with the stopping(7) event by services declaring a dependency. Job configuration files may use the export stanza to export environment variables from their own environment into the started event. See init(5) for more details. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to depend on another service might use: start on started apache stop on stopping apache A task that must be run after another task or service has been started might use: start on started postgresql SEE ALSO
starting(7) stopping(7) stopped(7) init(5) Upstart 2009-07-09 started(7)