Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ufsrestore -i
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ufsrestore -i Post 36994 by Optimus_P on Monday 9th of June 2003 12:13:37 PM
Old 06-09-2003
ufsrestore -ivfs /dev/your/tape/drive # (# here starts at 1 not 0)

the # is the location of the data on the tape. so if you run lets say 5 backups on 1 non rewinding tape. then you would substitute the # with a 5.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ufsrestore

on sparc solaris 2.8 hosts, HOSTB, after changing to /dir1 need to: connect to tape drive on HostA. change directory to /dir0/dir1 on tape and restore everything under that path to /dir1 directory. could i get help?. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S26+
1 Replies

2. Solaris

ufsrestore?

I'm trying to restore a server from a backup tape. I've partitioned my drive, and I've run into a problem; After extracting everything from the tape, It seems as if only the directory structure is intact. Here are my steps: 1. booted from cdrom to single user mode boot cdrom -s 2. used... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Using ufsdump and ufsrestore

HI Gurus, I have a sunfire V445 server running SAP ECC 6.0 with an Oracle database on Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9). I recently completed a ufsdump to tape of the following files:- /, /usr, /oracle, /export, /sapr3, I want to restore these files from tape onto a different server of the same... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charleywasharo
5 Replies

4. Solaris

ufsrestore

Hi , I accidentally deleted crontab entries and I need to restore back urgently ! we use a ufsdump with 0cfu option. I like to know how to restrore / retrieve to different location for crontab file only from the backup. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skully
4 Replies

5. Solaris

What is volume in ufsrestore

Hi Gurus, Can you guys please explain what is volume in ufsrestore? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
2 Replies

6. Solaris

ufsrestore will not boot

hey all, i did a ufsdump/restore from a mirrored system and i'm not able to get the new system to boot off of the dump. system 1 is a v245 mirrored with disk suite. metadb's are in place d3 -m d23 d13 d33 1 d23 1 1 c1t1d0s3 d13 1 1 c1t0d0s3 d33 1 1 c1t2d0s3 d0 -m d20 d10 d30 1 d20 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
3 Replies

7. Solaris

How do you ufsrestore the fast way?

hi, on my sol9 box i create my backup using the below command: /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /u1 /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /u2 /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /u3 /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /u4 now on the new sol10 box, to restore i use this commands: cd /u1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinoy43v3r
3 Replies

8. Solaris

ufsrestore T5240

Hi Friends we have sun T5240 server, we have taken ufsdump of this server remotely with scsi tapedrive, If we need to do ufsrestore means what we have to do, since T5240 has not having scsi port, any procedure is there? Regards Rajasekar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajasekg
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ufsrestore

Good Afternoon, I'm going to attempt a ufsrestore of a Solaris 9 machine from a connected NAS containing the ufsdumps. The idea is to be able to take ufsdumps of a failed machine (machine 1), and use them to set up a backup machine (machine 2). (I'm testing for disaster recovery) Note... (52 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
52 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Ufsrestore on Solaris 9

Good Morning, I'm running through a Solaris 9 ufsrestore process on a Sunblade 2500 that folks here helped me write a year ago. Here: https://www.unix.com/303011447-post11.html Hicksd8 tells me to # rm restoresymtable. I see this file in the other slices as well. Do I remove it from... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
8 Replies
mt(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mt(1)

Name
       mt - magnetic tape manipulating program

Syntax
       mt [-f tapename] command [count]

Description
       The command permits the operation of a magnetic tape drive.

Options
       The  -f	flag  option  uses  the specified tape device (next argument) in place of either that tape device defined by your TAPE environment
       variable (.login or .profile) or /dev/nrmt0h.

Some operations may be performed multiple times by specifying count.  By default, performs the requested operation once.

The command argument defines the operation to be performed.  Only as many characters as are required to uniquely identify a command need be
       specified.

The following is a list of commands:

bsf		   Backspace count files.

bsr		   Backspace count records.

cache		   Allows to use the cache buffer on a tape drive that has the cache buffer feature.

clhrdsf		   Clear  hardware/software problem.  Works with tape drives which use the TMSCP tape controller interface This command is
			   restricted to root access only.

clserex		   Clear serious exception.  Works with tape drives which use the TMSCP tape controller interface

clsub		   Clear subsystem.  Works with tape drives which use the TMSCP tape controller interface This command	is  restricted	to
			   root access only.

eof, weof	   Write count end-of-file marks at the current position on the tape.

eotdis		   Disable  end-of-tape  detection.   When the end of tape is reached, the tape will run off the reel.	Only the superuser
			   can issue this command.  The command remains in effect for the device until end-of-tape detection is enabled  with  the
			   eoten command.

eoten		   Enable  end-of-tape	detection.   When the end-of-tape markers are reached, the tape is halted on the reel, between the
			   two end-of-tape markers.  Only the superuser can issue this command.  The command remains  in  effect  for  the  device
			   until end-of-tape detection is disabled with the eotdis command.  This is the default mode after a system boot.

fsf		   Forward-space count files.

fsr		   Forward-space count records.

nocache		   Disables the use of the cache buffer for any tape drive that has the cache buffer feature.

offline, rewoffl    Rewind the tape and place the tape unit off-line.

retension	   Retensions the tape.  Retension means moving the tape one complete pass between EOT and BOT.

rewind		   Rewind the tape.

status		   Print status information about the tape unit.

Examples
       This example shows how to rewind the tape
       mt -f /dev/rmt0l rewind
       This example shows how to backspace the tape nmt1h three files:
       mt -f /dev/nrmt1h bsf 3
       This example shows how to write two end-of-file marks at the current position on tape nmt6h:
       mt -f /dev/nrmt6h eof 2

Return Values
       In  shell  scripts, returns a 0 exit status when the operation(s) were successful, 1 if the command was unrecognized, and 2 if an operation
       failed.

Files
       /dev/rmt?h or /dev/rmt?l
		 Raw magnetic tape interface with rewind when closed

/dev/nmt?h or /dev/nmt?l
		 Raw magnetic tape interface with no rewind when closed

See Also
       dd(1), tar(1), ioctl(2), mtio(4), tms(4), environ(7)

mt(1)