Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Newbie question about difference between executable file and ordinary file Post 367 by Balaji on Tuesday 28th of November 2000 10:09:57 PM
Old 11-28-2000
Question

Hi,

I am newbie in unix and just started learning it. I want to know what is the difference between an executable file and a file (say text file). How to create executable file? What is the extension for that? How to differentiate ? How does it get executed?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question about the "bin" file

Hello, I am new to the Unix/Linux world. This is a typical "for-dummies" question. I was trying to setup Java JDK 1.3 on my Red Hat Linux and downloaded a file called "j2sdk-1_3_1_01-linux-i386.bin" on my usr/src directory. Then I do a "chmod a+x j2sdk-1_3_1_01-linux-i386.bin". Then I tried... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaywang
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

identify whether idrectory or ordinary file

What are the different ways to identify a given file is an ordinary file or a directory? Yes we can do it by giving the command : ls -l <filename> What else? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: surjyap
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executable file

Hi everybody: I have strange problem. I have compiled a source code and created an executable file. This file I can use it into my PC, but when I copy this executable to my laptop this one doesn't work and the system tell me: bash: ./sbdart_unix: cannot execute binary file Somebody can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can i read a non text file in unix - ELF-64 executable object file - IA64

The binary file is ELF-64 executable object file - IA64. How i know that the source is Is there any comamnd in unix i can read these kind of files or use a thirty party software? Thanks for your help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

executable file

Hi, I want to know that how can i read the content of a .exe file?? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

7. Programming

Executable file in C

Hi all, I have modified a C file and executed it. While executing the executable file for that C file, it shows à is cannot be printed. I have given isprint(à) to test it. When I copy the old executable file and execute it it shows it can be printed. Then I retain the C code back and executed it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sivakumar.rj
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie.. Find if a file exists and open, if not create the desired file..

Hey all, I'm brand new to script writing, I'm wanting to make a script that will ask for a file and then retrieve that file if it exists, and if it doesn't exist, create the file with the desired name, and I'm completely stuck.. so far.. #! bin/bash echo "Enter desired file" read "$file" if ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Byrang
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

wanted to find both link file and ordinary file using single find command

find . -type fl o/p is only the ordinary file. where in it wont give the link files. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX utility to find difference in folder, file and contents of file against a base version

Hi, I am trying to find out whether there are any Unix utilities that compares folders, files and contents within the file and provides a comprehensive report. The comparison can be against base version of a folder and file with content. Can you please let me know of such a utility? Thanks,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sripathi_ks
6 Replies