Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New Sparc box wont boot. Keyboard? Post 36570 by TioTony on Friday 30th of May 2003 11:38:37 PM
Old 05-31-2003
Hi Curt,
You will need a Sun keyboard unless you just happen to have some sort of serial console port available. You can try using Reflections or similar software with a Null modem cable hooked from your PC to the serial port on the Ultra. I haven't done this for a million years but it should work. If you have a dumb terminal, that will work. A digi will work. I know most people don't have stuff like this sitting around their house, but some do.
CUL8R,
Tony

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Firewall for Sparc Spo~aris Box

Hello, I in the process of installing a firewall. I'm new to this topic and would like to know if someone can point me in the right direction. I'm running Solaris 8. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunoracle
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Wont boot

I am new to HP-UX. I have a external SCSI drive with HP-UX on it. I was trying to clone it to another external scsi drive. I added the new drive to existing LVM. Then I used dd command. But it failed with I/O error. Now I cannot boot it from original drive. It's saying panic: LVM: Configuration... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: forhad
11 Replies

3. SCO

Boot 5.0.7 in RAM and change keyboard

hi I've boot OpenServer Release 5.0.7 from a setup CD and started "Execute a shell on ramdisk filesystem". Howto change keyboard from american to swiss german? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Having problems logging into a SPARC box

I have a Solaris 10 Sparc box that has suddenly stopped allowing users to ssh into the box. I've connected a laptop and can access the box as root using a serial connector. While performing the command svcs -xv, this is my output: maintenance 13:29:49 svc:/system/basicreg:default... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Sun Blade 150 wont boot off cdrom

Hello, Ive just aquired a blade 150 off ebay.Im new to suns and are having a problem getting it to boot off the cdrom.Openboot continuously tries to do a network boot and I cant enter any commands.Im using an average pc keyboard and it definetly works.Thanks for any help.:wall: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chucky
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 9 zone wont boot - interface in use

We have a Solaris 10 system with a solaris 9 branded zone. Trying to create a new lo interfaces i ended up rebooting the zone. The zone will not come up, it ran fine before i tried this. When i run the zoneadm -z zone-s9 boot command i get "zoneadm: zone 'zone-s9': lo0:2: could not bring... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
4 Replies

7. SCO

Sco UNIX wont boot - long beeps

HI All, I have an old SCO-UNIX machine which I support a long standing client / friend with. I don't use it very often, and is kept switched off. All was well 2 weeks ago, but when I tried to boot today all I get is a continuous set of long beeps but no booting. I have checked inside... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy sleight
4 Replies

8. Solaris

SPARC box to study on?

What's the cheapest box to study for the Solaris tests with? The obvious answer is a T1000, but IIRC they have no CD/DVD and have to be jumpstarted. What's cheap that can run Solaris 11 and that doesn't require anything but itself? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
5 Replies
PCWEASEL(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 					       PCWEASEL(4)

NAME
pcweasel -- Support for the PC-Weasel serial console board SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device pcweasel weasel* at pci? dev ? function ? Note that the appropriate display device must also be enabled. See pcdisplay(4) for more information. DESCRIPTION
The PC-Weasel is a serial console board for use primarily on Intel-based PC-class systems. It addresses a problem that nearly everyone who has deployed a PC-class server has experienced: the total lack of remote management capability on PC-class hardware. In addition to serial console support, the PC-Weasel provides the ability to remotely reset the system (by means of a hardware reset signal), and provides a watchdog timer function. The PC-Weasel works by emulating the original IBM Monochrome Display Adapter (MDA). Writes to the display's character cells are translated into ANSI terminal sequences which are then sent out the PC-Weasel's serial port. Incoming characters are translated into PC keyboard scan codes and then fed (by means of a cable) into the system's keyboard controller. The system believes it is using a display console. This is particularly important in the event that one needs access to BIOS configuration menus. The PC-Weasel also includes a ST16550 serial port, which may be configured as any one of the system's serial ports. Typical usage is to con- figure the port as com0 at ISA I/O address 0x3f8. When the PC-Weasel detects activity on the ST16550, the serial port is automatically con- nected to the ST16550 so that the serial port may be used as normal. When the PC-Weasel detects activity on the internal UART used for MDA emulation, the serial port is automatically reconnected to the emulation UART. This allows the boot program and kernel to be configured to use the serial port directly (which is more efficient than using the MDA emulation mode), yet allows the MDA emulation to be reestablished as soon as the kernel loses control of the system. The pcweasel driver provides support for the additional features present on the PC-Weasel. At the moment, this includes support for the watchdog timer function. Use of the pcweasel driver is not required in order for the system to function with a PC-Weasel installed so long as only the MDA emulation and ST16550 serial port functionality is required. SEE ALSO
pcdisplay(4), wdogctl(8) HISTORY
The pcweasel driver first appeared in NetBSD 1.5.1. AUTHORS
The PC-Weasel was invented by Herb Peyerl and Jonathan Levine at Canada Connect Corporation. It is now produced by Middle Digital, Inc., http://www.realweasel.com/ The pcweasel driver was written by Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>, and contributed by Zembu Labs, Inc. Herb Peyerl of Middle Digital, Inc. provided several firmware updates during the development of the driver. BSD
November 23, 2007 BSD