Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Variable assignment for file names. Post 36473 by jagannatha on Thursday 29th of May 2003 04:03:39 PM
Old 05-29-2003
Error Variable assignment for file names.

I am trying to process error files in selected directories. I can count the files that are there and export the contents to a file for either emailing or printing. The next step is to move the files to a processed directory with the name changed to .fixed as the last extension.
Code:
for file in $LOGFILES
	do
	if [ -d $file ]; then
	               echo "$file, is not a file, and will not be processed."
	else
		echo "Move $file to /intended destination.[Y/N] \c"
		read move_file
		if [ "$move_file" = "y" ] || [ "$move_file" = "Y" ]; then
			file2=`file'.fixed'`
			mv -i $PWDIR/$file /intended destination/$file2
			echo "Error file, $file has been renamed to $file2."
			echo "and moved sucessfully to $PWDIR."
				echo ""
			elif [ "$move_file" = "n" ] || [ "$move_file" = "N" ]; then
			echo "Moving of $file, cancelled."
			echo ""
		fi
	fi
	done
	echo "All files have been processed."

ANy help will be apprciated.

Smilie

added code tags for readability --oombera

Last edited by oombera; 02-17-2004 at 03:53 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable assignment in a file

Hi All, I have a little awk script which uses a variable (x): awk -v x=0 'NF != 6 { ++x } END { print "This batch had " x " errors out of ", NR" records"}' But when I've tried to put the command in a file I can't seem to declare the variable. I've managed to simplify the code so that I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Names in a Variable in a loop

Hi All , I am having confusion in a shell script. Please guide me. I need to get multiple files (number of files vary time to time, file names are separated by '|') using FTP get from the remote server. Actually, i call the FTP function in a loop. At the last step, i need to move all the get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable names in text file with its value

Hi I have a text file (mytext.txt), the content of which is as following: My name is <@MY_NAME@> and my age is <@MY_AGE@> . Now i have another property file (myprops) which is as following: MY_NAME=abcdefgh MY_AGE=000000 I was wondering, how can i replace the tags of mytext.txt, with its... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vigithvg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

set a variable to be a list of file names

Hi all, I am trying to get a list of all the .tif images in my folder and set a variable that holds all the file names using C shell. What is the best way to do it? any help would be greatly appreciated. Yang (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lionheartyoung
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to assign file names to array variable?

I wish to assign file names with particular extention to array variables. For example if there are 5 files with .dat extention in /home/sam then i have to assign these 5 files to an array. plz help me how to accomplish this. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siteregsam
4 Replies

6. Programming

FORTRAN: Loop over variable file names

Hi guys I'm a beginner in fortran. So excuse me for my naivety, let me briefly describe what I was trying to do. I have let's say 2 files named reac-1 and reac-2. After opening these files I've to do some calculations, close these files and open the same files again in a loop. So my faulty code... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleheen
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] printing value of a variable assignment from a file

Heyas Me try to print only the value of a (specific) variable assignment from a file. What i get (1): :) tui $ bin/tui-conf-get ~/.tui_rc TUI_THEME dot-blue "" "$TUI_DIR_INSTALL_ROOT/usr" "$TUI_DIR_INSTALL_ROOT/etc/tui" "$TUI_PREFIX/share/doc/tui" "$TUI_PREFIX/share/tui"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matching file in bash with variable file names but consisent prefixs

As part of a bash the below line strips off a numerical prefix from directory 1 to search for in directory 2. for file in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/comparison/missing/*.txt do file1=${file##*/} # Strip off directory getprefix=${file1%%_*.txt} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract file names from file and set variable to 'highest' one

HI Folks - I have a requirement where I need to scan a text file for a list of files. The file, we'll called it, files.txt looks like such: inbox/EBS/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_112517_SEP2017.txt inbox/EBS/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_112617_NOV2017.txt ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
9 Replies
news(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   news(1)

NAME
news - print news items SYNOPSIS
[items] DESCRIPTION
is used to keep the user informed of current events. By convention, these events are described by files in the directory When invoked without arguments, prints the contents of all current files in most recent first, with each preceded by an appropriate header. stores the ``currency'' time as the modification date of a file named in the user's home directory (the identity of this directory is determined by the environment variable only files more recent than this currency time are considered ``current.'' Options recognizes the following options: Print all items, regardless of currency. The stored time is not changed. Report the names of the current items without printing their contents, and without changing the stored time. Report how many current items exist without printing their names or contents, and without changing the stored time. It is useful to include such an invocation of news in one's file, or in the system's All other arguments are assumed to be specific news items that are to be printed. If an interrupt is typed during the printing of a news item, printing stops and the next item is started. Another interrupt within one second of the first causes the program to terminate. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. FILES
SEE ALSO
mail(1), profile(4), environ(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
news(1)