Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Tab Completion showing files that Dont Exist Post 36315 by RTM on Tuesday 27th of May 2003 10:25:46 AM
Old 05-27-2003
In directories that have files being created and removed constantly, you will see that type of behavior since the directory may have many (hundreds or thousands) files and if you go to ls or du, the mail program may have already sent some of the mail out and removed the file. The command you tried then goes to get the information about the file and can not.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tab completion using ! history command

Hi all, I recently discovered the ! command. I think it's great that !cd ? will match the last command that began with cd ?. However, for ! to be particularly useful to me (for now anyway) it would be nice if there was a tab completion option available (as with the cd command). Does anyone know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: x-375HK-x
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tab Completion on Solaris 10

Hi, Is there a way to turn on tab completetion on Solaris 10? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annointed3
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tab completion gubbins

Hello all How do you configure unix terminal to list files as you tab complete. I'm using a unix terminal at work and when i first started tab complete on a folder would list all matches if there were more than one. eg. monkey.xml mon.xml monkeyboy.xml in one folder if i cd into... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNUless
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tab completion in csh

Is it possible to set up my .cshrc so that a single tab attempts to autocomplete, while a double tab gives a list of all possible options. In other words, I want it to work like bash in this regard. Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: James McMurray
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

color terminal and tab completion?

hello, i'm a linux zealot (fedora), so i know a some about unix. the company i work for uses HP-UX though and there are a few quirks i'd like smooth out by making them work more like my beloved redhat type systems...=) right now they have all users using ksh and completion is done by hitting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: clockworks
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

hp unix doesn't have tab completion

hi guys, i am new to HP unix , i am doing Solaris , i am just asking is there any thing like "bash" in hp unix including tab completion? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagigg
8 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

TAB completion in cygwin

Hi there, I ve been using cygwin for some time now without any problems. However, recently I ve mapped a new drive on Windows and are now having problems with TAB completion for awk scripts in cygwin on this newly mapped drive (cygdrive t). I can access and run all files but cygwin doesn't do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommes
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract columns from a file if the name dont exist put blank

Hi, I am very new to Unix script. Suppose i have a file with column header: NAME1 NAME2 Address Tel And I always need to make a file with column header: ID NAME1 NAME2 EMail Address Tel For the columns that do not exist in the file, I would still like to make a column with blank. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightrider
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rsync copy files if dont exist

I have a setup where I have two drives. TV TVbackup For what ever reason, I have a lot of content on my TVbackup drive which isn't on my TV drive. I want to copy all the files across which are on TVbackup but are not currently on TV. If there is a file with the same name but a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spadez
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash Tab Completion Hanging

Hi, I'm having a problem with tab completion at the bash command line. For some reason, whenever I type g<tab>, the terminal will freeze up for 5-10 seconds before asking me if I want to display all 325 possibilities. I thought that maybe it's because of the high number of commands, but I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raz716
4 Replies
CONFLICT(8)							     [nmh-1.5]							       CONFLICT(8)

NAME
conflict - search for alias/password conflicts SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/conflict [-search directory] [-mail name] [-version] [-help] [aliasfiles ...] DESCRIPTION
Conflict is a program that checks to see if the interface between nmh and the transport system is in good shape Conflict also checks for maildrops in /var/mail which do not belong to a valid user. It assumes that no user name will start with `.', and thus ignores files in /var/mail which begin with `.'. It also checks for entries in the group(5) file which do not belong to a valid user, and for users who do not have a valid group number. In addition duplicate users and groups are noted. If the -mail name switch is used, then the results will be sent to the specified name. Otherwise, the results are sent to the standard output. The -search directory switch can be used to search directories other than /var/mail and to report anomalies in those directories. The -search directory switch can appear more than one time in an invocation to conflict. Conflict should be run under cron(8), or whenever system accounting takes place. FILES
/etc/nmh/mts.conf nmh mts configuration file /etc/passwd List of users /etc/group List of groups /usr/bin/mh/mhmail Program to send mail /var/mail/ Directory of mail drop PROFILE COMPONENTS
None SEE ALSO
mh-alias(5) DEFAULTS
`aliasfiles' defaults to /etc/nmh/MailAliases CONTEXT
None MH.6.8 11 June 2012 CONFLICT(8)