Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Syn_sent
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Syn_sent Post 36012 by google on Monday 19th of May 2003 08:35:43 AM
Old 05-19-2003
taking a shot here, am also new to TCP/IP so still learning...
TCP/IP is connection oriented, to establish a connection between 2 hosts, your PC sends a SYN (synchronize) bit to the other computer. Your PC then waits to receive an ACK bit, or acknowledgement bit from the opposite end. Finally, your PC sends another bit to tell the other computer which sequence number to begin with. When all of this hand shaking is complete, data begins to flow.

From O'Reilly, TCP Network Administration
"TCP views the data it sends as a continuous stream of bytes, not as independent packets. Therefore, TCP takes care to maintain the sequence in whihc bytes are sent and received. The Sequence Number and Acknowledgement Numbers in teh TCP segment header keep track of the bytes"

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Solaris

SYN_SENT does not receive reset from closed ports

Dear all, I have a Solaris 10 system with a bunch of zones on it. My issue is the following: - I have application A and B running in the same zone: i.e. they communicate via loopback interface. Application A tries to connect to application B, usually listening on port X. If application B... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pierolinux
6 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)