Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers strange situation with nslookup on Linux Post 36009 by mod on Monday 19th of May 2003 08:01:52 AM
Old 05-19-2003
strange situation with nslookup on Linux

Hey,

I have a problem with nslookup under the newly installed mandrake 9.1, and as I see now also under Redhat 8.0

I have a pc called evo with the ip 10.0.0.1 which entered correctly in the /etc/hosts file. Connection to the internet is via an adsl-router. I have the nameservers from my provider in the /etc/resolv.conf file.

The name resolution via dns is working fine, but I cann't receive the ip for my pc, not with the name evo, localhost or ip-adress.

The files /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/hosts.conf are configured to use first files and then use dns/bind.

Has anybody seen this and does know a solution?

thx
Martin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nslookup on linux ???

Hi I usually use solaris but Im working right now with a Linux box and I cannot find the nslookup command. Does Linux use this command or have an other one to do dns querys?? Thanks and sorry for such a dumb question.. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux System with Strange IRQ Error

Hi one of our Linux machine from our Data Farm have constantly hang and instable. I found out from the console the below error. Does anyone encounter this problem or see this error before with a glimpse on what it could be.. ? --------------------------------------------------------------- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: killerserv
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange IP traffic behavior when using Samba and FTP (Windows/Mac to Linux)

I have set up a samba share on my Linux server. I have a gigabit switch, gigabit NICs in each machine. I have set up the /etc/samba/smb.conf to support no delay, 8192 send/receive buffers, etc. This helped the rate for Samba go from about 4MB/S to about 10MB/S, but I expect to see about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perspectx
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed situation

Hi, I'm looking for someone who can think in sed. Basically, I need the trailing characters on every line in a file to be deleted. These characters are all in capitals, and always follow a number, but they often vary in number For instance, on the line: 2006_10_9_p20_TALK I'd want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laurel Maury
4 Replies

5. Programming

strange situation in file

Hi All, I am writing some data's into a file from C++ program. The files which i am writing is of fixed length . say 232 in length per line. I am writing as . my c code is as ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help : crisis situation !!

Hi I had deleted important files from my company server :( the server is HPUX and i don't know how to undo rm command or how to restore the files .. iam appreciate for any help Thanx ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eisa
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux sort command produces strange output

cat a .a ba .b bb .c bc sort a .a .b ba bb bc .c NOTE: .a and .b appears before ba and bb, where as .c appears after bc. In general (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajb
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange situation of file sorting and merging

I have a strange situation of sorting and merging two files based on similar columns previusly both files has same count of records so, I made below way which is working fine until they reduced the count of one files . I.e. some times the count of records of both will same and some times it... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour on my Linux Server.

Hi, I keep getting this error when i run my script: No matter how many times i run this rm -rf /siebel/sfs/tmp/dump it succeeds when i expect it only the first time to succeed becoz i expect the second to fail as the directory should be gone in the first run. i had earlier mentioned... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange permission issue on Linux server.

Starting sendmail throws this error: I decided to see the permission on the files under /etc/mail and this is the output: # ls -ltr total 284 -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 1847 Jan 27 2014 virtusertable -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 127 Jan 27 2014 trusted-users -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 92... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
NSS-SYSTEMD(8)                                                      nss-systemd                                                     NSS-SYSTEMD(8)

NAME
nss-systemd, libnss_systemd.so.2 - Provide UNIX user and group name resolution for dynamic users and groups. SYNOPSIS
libnss_systemd.so.2 DESCRIPTION
nss-systemd is a plug-in module for the GNU Name Service Switch (NSS) functionality of the GNU C Library (glibc), providing UNIX user and group name resolution for dynamic users and groups allocated through the DynamicUser= option in systemd unit files. See systemd.exec(5) for details on this option. This module also ensures that the root and nobody users and groups (i.e. the users/groups with the UIDs/GIDs 0 and 65534) remain resolvable at all times, even if they aren't listed in /etc/passwd or /etc/group, or if these files are missing. To activate the NSS module, add "systemd" to the lines starting with "passwd:" and "group:" in /etc/nsswitch.conf. It is recommended to place "systemd" after the "files" or "compat" entry of the /etc/nsswitch.conf lines so that /etc/passwd and /etc/group based mappings take precedence. EXAMPLE
Here is an example /etc/nsswitch.conf file that enables nss-systemd correctly: passwd: compat mymachines systemd group: compat mymachines systemd shadow: compat hosts: files mymachines resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] dns myhostname networks: files protocols: db files services: db files ethers: db files rpc: db files netgroup: nis SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.exec(5), nss-resolve(8), nss-myhostname(8), nss-mymachines(8), nsswitch.conf(5), getent(1) systemd 237 NSS-SYSTEMD(8)