Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users raid 0+1 +oracle getting slow data reads. Post 35969 by Optimus_P on Friday 16th of May 2003 08:34:51 AM
Old 05-16-2003
The machine has been setup and running for about two weeks.

Unfortunetly here at my work. they dont understand the importance of testing or a well planned upgrade stratigy.

These are my 4 steps to do over the weekend w/ this machine as far as fs tuening goes.

Code:
1) add the following entries to the /etc/system file (to enable larger cluster sizes then 128k)
* Allow larger SCSI I/O transfers, parameter is bytes (i can prolly scale this down to 512)
set maxphys = 1048576

* Allow larger DiskSuite I/O transfers, parameter is bytes (i can prolly scale this down to 512)
set md_maxphys = 1048576

2) set new cluster size to 512 for the FS (/dev/md/dsk/d100)
#RAID level 0, striping - Cluster size = number of stripe members x interlace size
tunefs -a 64 /dev/md/dsk/d100

3) set the ufs write throttle
* ufs_LW = 1/128th of memory
* ufs_HW = 1/64th of memory
set ufs_LW=16777216
set ufs_HW=33554432

4) disable fs caching edit /etc/vfstab and add option
nologging,forcedirectio

Here is the init.ora file
Code:
db_name = DEFAULT

db_file_multiblock_read_count = 8                                     # SMALL

db_block_buffers = 60                                                 # SMALL

shared_pool_size = 3500000                                            # SMALL

log_checkpoint_interval = 10000

processes = 50                                                        # SMALL

dml_locks = 100                                                       # SMALL

log_buffer = 8192                                                     # SMALL

sequence_cache_entries = 10                                           # SMALL

sequence_cache_hash_buckets = 10                                      # SMALL

max_dump_file_size = 10240      # limit trace file size to 5 Meg each

# Global Naming -- enforce that a dblink has same name as the db it connects to
global_names = TRUE

# Edit and uncomment the following line to provide the suffix that will be
# appended to the db_name parameter (separated with a dot) and stored as the
# global database name when a database is created.  If your site uses
# Internet Domain names for e-mail, then the part of your e-mail address after
# the '@' is a good candidate for this parameter value.

# db_domain = us.acme.com       # global database name is db_name.db_domain

# FOR DEVELOPMENT ONLY, DEFAULT TO SINGLE-PROCESS
# single_process = TRUE

# FOR DEVELOPMENT ONLY, ALWAYS TRY TO USE SYSTEM BACKING STORE
# vms_sga_use_gblpagfil = TRUE

# FOR BETA RELEASE ONLY.  Enable debugging modes.  Note that these can
# adversely affect performance.  On some non-VMS ports the db_block_cache_*
# debugging modes have a severe effect on performance.

_db_block_cache_protect = true                       # memory protect buffers
event = "10210 trace name context forever, level 2" # data block checking
event = "10211 trace name context forever, level 2" # index block checking
event = "10235 trace name context forever, level 1" # memory heap checking
event = "10049 trace name context forever, level 2" # memory protect cursors

# define two control files by default
control_files = (ora_control1, ora_control2)

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Howto capture data from rs232port andpull data into oracle database-9i automatically

Hi, i willbe very much grateful to u if u help me out.. if i simply connect pbx machine to printer by serial port RS232 then we find this view: But i want to capture this data into database automatically when the pbx is running.The table in database will contain similar to this view inthe... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boss
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get data from 3 differrnt oracle DB & then compare data

Hi All, I have a requirement to write a shell script for the following... we have 3 different database.... lets say A, B, C From these 3 DBs, i need to get data.. all have 3 different table...a,b, c A.a => Emp_code, count(*) B.b => emp_code, count(*) C.c => emp_code, copunt(*) Once get this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

Recover RAID data

Hello, Given a scenario, I have 2 HDD which were used on the server with software RAID. Now, the original server crashed and I have attached these 2 HDD to the new server. Any possible chances to recover the data from any of this HDD ? I want to mount /dev/sdb3 on some folder.. Output of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinmay
3 Replies

4. AIX

ORACLE Database running slow on AIX ( nmon / topas )

Hello, How can I know if ORACLE Database is running slow due to Memory or due to processing power ? I have only Oracle Database running on a P4 with 4GB RAM. Could anyone suggest any tools which can help me determine exactly if it is memory issue or processor issue. (43 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
43 Replies

5. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between buffered disk reads and cached reads?

I was analyzing the Disk read using hdparm utility. This is what i got as a result. # hdparm -t /dev/sda /dev/sda: Timing buffered disk reads: 108 MB in 3.04 seconds = 35.51 MB/sec # hdparm -T /dev/sda /dev/sda: Timing cached reads: 3496 MB in 1.99 seconds = 1756.56 MB/sec... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

RAID Configuration for IBM Serveraid-7k SCSI RAID Controller

Hello, I want to delete a RAID configuration an old server has. Since i haven't the chance to work with the specific raid controller in the past can you please help me how to perform the configuraiton? I downloaded IBM ServeRAID Support CD but i wasn't able to configure the video card so i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies
MAXDB_DEBUG(3)								 1							    MAXDB_DEBUG(3)

maxdb_debug - Performs debugging operations

SYNOPSIS
void maxdb_debug (string $debug) DESCRIPTION
The maxdb_debug(3) can be used to trace the SQLDBC communication. The following strings can be used as a parameter to maxdb_debug(3): oTRACE SHORT ON|OFF - Enables/disables method call trace. oTRACE LONG ON|OFF - Enables/disables method argument and detail debug trace. oTRACE PACKET ON|OFF|<size> - Enables/disables packet trace, limiting the size of the traced object to the specified number of bytes, or 1000 if no size is specified. oTRACE SQL ON|OFF - Enables/disables high level api trace. oTRACE TIMESTAMP ON|OFF - Enables/disables a timestamp prefix on each line that is traced. oTRACE SIZE <size> - Limits the size of the trace file to <size> bytes, at least 8192 bytes are required. RETURN VALUES
maxdb_debug(3) doesn't return any value. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Procedural style <?php maxdb_debug("trace packet 200"); $link = maxdb_connect("localhost", "MONA", "RED", "DEMODB"); /* check connection */ if (!$link) { printf("Connect failed: %s ", maxdb_connect_error()); exit(); } /* close connection */ maxdb_close($link); ?> The above example produces no output. PHP Documentation Group MAXDB_DEBUG(3)