Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied Post 35796 by Calum on Tuesday 6th of May 2003 08:14:41 AM
Old 05-06-2003
well, the 'INSTALL' says:
Quote:
The simplest way to compile Bash is:

1. `cd' to the directory containing the source code and type
`./configure' to configure Bash for your system. If you're using
`csh' on an old version of System V, you might need to type `sh
./configure' instead to prevent `csh' from trying to execute
`configure' itself.

Running `configure' takes some time. While running, it prints
messages telling which features it is checking for.

2. Type `make' to compile Bash and build the `bashbug' bug reporting
script.

3. Optionally, type `make tests' to run the Bash test suite.

4. Type `make install' to install `bash' and `bashbug'. This will
also install the manual pages and Info file.

The `configure' shell script attempts to guess correct values for
various system-dependent variables used during compilation. It uses
those values to create a `Makefile' in each directory of the package
(the top directory, the `builtins', `doc', and `support' directories,
each directory under `lib', and several others). It also creates a
`config.h' file containing system-dependent definitions. Finally, it
creates a shell script named `config.status' that you can run in the
future to recreate the current configuration, a file `config.cache'
that saves the results of its tests to speed up reconfiguring, and a
file `config.log' containing compiler output (useful mainly for
debugging `configure'). If at some point `config.cache' contains
results you don't want to keep, you may remove or edit it.
Quote:
Specifying the System Type
==========================

There may be some features `configure' can not figure out
automatically, but need to determine by the type of host Bash will run
on. Usually `configure' can figure that out, but if it prints a
message saying it can not guess the host type, give it the
`--host=TYPE' option. `TYPE' can either be a short name for the system
type, such as `sun4', or a canonical name with three fields:
`CPU-COMPANY-SYSTEM' (e.g., `i386-unknown-freebsd4.2').

See the file `support/config.sub' for the possible values of each field.
i feel a little silly i never saw this before, but i am still a little confused about why it can't guess the system type on its own, it's linux 2.4.20 on an i686 (slackware 9.0) which is hardly an unusual system type one would imagine...

Last edited by Calum; 05-06-2003 at 10:57 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/usr/bin/ksh Command Interpreter in a sh script

Hi, I have a developer that is trying to start a script with sh "scriptname". In the script, he is specifying #!/usr/bin/ksh as the command interpreter. For some reason sh is ignoring the #!/usr/bin/ksh. We are running Solaris 8. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Here... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckeith79
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bad interpreter: Permission denied

I am writing an expect script but am getting a bad interpreter: permission denied error. I don't think the error has anything to do with expect itself, I think I am missing something in how I start the file. For instance, when I run the file under the expect directory it works: cd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
7 Replies

3. Ubuntu

How to resolve bad interpreter error

Hi, Iam trying to run a gmake command and have the latest version of Gnu in my redhat linux system. I need to execute the following steps; ---> chmod +x utils/* ---> ./utils/AllCodeManagerFix ---> gmake LINUX Iam able to do the chmod command but when I run the second command I get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viji19812001
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Here is a puzzler. To start, let me say that I've done a search on this issue and it is definitely not related to line endings being encoded in windows returns. I get this error when I run SOME perl scripts. I have a script called hello_world.pl. I do $cp hello_world.pl new_hello_world.pl... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjmtaiwan
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing expect script giving message as bad interpreter: Permission denied

Hi Gurus, I am new to scripting and needs your help in expect script used for telnet. I wrote a simple script as #!/usr/bin/expect-5.43 -f spawn telnet localhost 2233 expect "password:" send "secret\r" send "i data.cnbc.com\r" send "exit\r" expect eof When I am trying to execute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niks_yv
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad interpreter: Permission denied

Hi I am running a script: #!bin/bash set -x echo"select * from celldatamap;" || sqlcsv -v -h -s ',' -d MTNSA11G -u datasafe -p datasafe > andrea.csv When I run my script ./tablescript.sh I get the following error: $ ./tablescript.sh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad interpreter when running script

Hi All, I'm not confortable in writing script, can someone can help me, when I run that script below i found this error code : -bash: ./script.sh: /bin/sh.: bad interpreter: Here is the script for i in * x=${i##*.} z=$(perl -e 'print time;') t=$(echo $z-$x|bc)... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bzb23
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad Interpreter

Hi. My name is Caleb (a.k.a RagingNinja) form the whited00r forums. (Whited00r makes custom firmware for iOS devices). I have been learning and creating simple shells scripts. I have been recently using VIM for Windows or using VirtualBox to run the UBUNTU OS within VirtualBox to create my shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RagingNinja
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sqlite3: /lib/ld-Linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter:

Hi all I'm hoping this is just me being a muppet, has anyone come across this problem before? I am writing an application that uses sqlite3 and I have created a database using it - sqlite3 muse.db SQLite version 3.6.20 Enter ".help" for instructions Enter SQL statements terminated with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

-bash: ./p4: /bin/ksh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

I keep getting this error and I am not sure why. -bash: ./p4: /bin/ksh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory First I run my makefile and this works fine: goodmain: main.o gcc -o goodmain main.o main.o: main.c gcc -c main.c Then I want to limit my output so I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
11 Replies
CONFIG.GUESS(1) 						   User Commands						   CONFIG.GUESS(1)

NAME
config.guess - guess the build system triplet SYNOPSIS
config.guess [OPTION] DESCRIPTION
The GNU build system distinguishes three types of machines, the `build' machine on which the compilers are run, the `host' machine on which the package being built will run, and, exclusively when you build a compiler, assembler etc., the `target' machine, for which the compiler being built will produce code. This script will guess the type of the `build' machine. Output the configuration name of the system `config.guess' is run on. Operation modes: -h, --help print this help, then exit -t, --time-stamp print date of last modification, then exit -v, --version print version number, then exit ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
config.guess might need to compile and run C code, hence it needs a compiler for the `build' machine: use the environment variable `CC_FOR_BUILD' to specify the compiler for the build machine. If `CC_FOR_BUILD' is not specified, `CC' will be used. Be sure to specify `CC_FOR_BUILD' is `CC' is a cross-compiler to the `host' machine. CC_FOR_BUILD a native C compiler, defaults to `cc' CC a native C compiler, the previous variable is preferred REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs and patches to <config-patches@gnu.org>. Originally written by Per Bothner. Copyright 1992-2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
autoconf(1), automake(1), autoreconf(1), autoupdate(1), autoheader(1), autoscan(1), config.guess(1), config.sub(1), ifnames(1), libtool(1). GNU Autoconf 2.69 August 2017 CONFIG.GUESS(1)