Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GNUTAR exclude directories
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users GNUTAR exclude directories Post 35650 by oombera on Thursday 24th of April 2003 10:57:18 AM
Old 04-24-2003
TheBlueLady,

What Perderabo wrote at the end of his post really should work for you.. I'd double-check and make sure you tried it exactly like he said..

I think you could also do it more the way you're saying by trying this:
cd /appl/data
tar -cvf /tmp/datadir.tar --exclude=/temp1/* --exclude=/temp2/* .

I'm not sure why you're concerned with files excluded in /appl though, since you said you only wanted to archive the subdirectory /appl/data

References:
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/SysNews/backups.html#doit
http://www.itworld.com/nl/unix_sys_a.../pf_index.html
http://www.eyetap.org/ece385/oreilly...pt/ch20_01.htm

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to exclude directories

Howdy I have this directory structure ... eep eepaptest eepfatest eepgltest eep.old eeppoptest ehf ehfaptest ehfgltest ehp ehpgltest I want to find files in these directories, but I want to exclude eep, ehf & ehp. Cany anyone help with the correct command ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmurfGGM
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find but exclude directories

Hello, I have a line in my script to find the files changed in the last 24 hours. It is as below: find /home/hary -type f -mtime -1 I now want to exclude a directory named "/home/hary/temp/cache" from the above find command. How do I add it to my script? Any help is appreciated. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tadi18
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Exclude multiple directories from find command?

Hi, Can some one help me how to exclude multiple directories using find command.. I have the directory structure below. /a/a1/b1 /a/c1/c2 /a/d1/d2/d3 I want to exlcude a1,c2and d3 from the above using find,can some one suggest pls.. thanks in advance... Use code tags... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Find command to exclude sub-directories

Hi Forum. I'm trying to write a script that finds and deletes files that are older than 300 days. The script will read a table that contains the following 3 columns: 1st col: “Y” means sub-directory scan; "N" means no subdirectory scan 2nd col: sub-directory location 3rd col: File prefix... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exclude the empty directories

Hi., I have a script, in which I am processing a files present in the directory types. ls -lrt | grep ^d | grep Dir_type | awk -f '{print $9}' |\ while read dir_name; do #operations done where Dir_type is the pattern in which directories get created. How to filter out empty... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IND123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl exclude directories in command line

Hi, I use find command to list all the files in a directory and its sub-directories, but the problem is to exclude certain directories during search. Can i give the directory names in command line to skip them and search rest of the directories? For example i have directories: test ../test1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmattam
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Pattern - exclude directories

All, I am trying delete folder by adding pattern not to delete certain folders. But i struck with error. When i use below command from command line, it works fine. shopt -s extglob rm -rf !(test1|test2|test3) But when i use the same in shell script, i get the below error. syntax... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
6 Replies

8. AIX

Exclude Directories in my tar command

Hi, im having some issues after i execute the next command: tar -cvf /varios/restore/test.tar -X /jfma/test1/excludefile /jfma | gzip -c > /varios/restore/test.tar.gz this creates the desired "test.tar.gz" file, but whe i try to open it it says "tar: 0511-164 There is a media read or write... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blacksteel1988
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude directories in FIND command

Can you please help tweak the below command to exclude all directories with the name "logs" and "tmp" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.tar*" ! -name "*.bkp*" \) -exec /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -i "user_1" /dev/null {} + >result.out bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences compared to the "URI" class interface exist: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclasses of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path; same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc; same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery; same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components; same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters). o $url->params and $url->eparams methods. o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag; same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords; same as $uri->query_keywords; o $url->localpath with friends map to $uri->file o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr; same as $uri->to for mailto URI. o $url->groupart method for news URI. o $url->article; same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.8.0 2002-05-09 URI::URL(3)