Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl CGI to access / edit "root" owned config files Post 35636 by RTM on Wednesday 23rd of April 2003 03:48:02 PM
Old 04-23-2003
Hmm, not sure if this will help or not. Basically, yes, you can 'request' the username and password and compare with what is on the system. Can you then change files owned by root? Probably. More difficult than I would want to think about.

Unless you are doing this for your own interest (or your company doesn't allow 3rd party software) might one suggest some software: CFengine

If that isn't what you are looking for, then maybe Webmin

I'm sure other will have other software they use and prefer. I've seen both of these but don't use them.

The following can take the input of a password and check it against info in the shadow file by sending the userid in the first parameter and the password in the second.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
# 
#  Grab the user's old password from /etc/shadow and compare to sent
#       old password from web page - send back error if not the same
#
#       HOG 04/25/02 Another wonderful product from the warped mind of me
# ====================================================================
# Set up variables ------------
$user = "$ARGV[0]";
$oldpass = "$ARGV[1]";
$datenow = "`date '+%h %d %T'`";
#
$userinfo = `/usr/bin/grep $user /etc/shadow`;
($user1, $passwd1, $passextra) = split(/:/, $userinfo, 3);
$salt = substr($passwd1,0,2);
#
# Put testing junk here (print variables)
#
    if (crypt($oldpass, $salt) ne $passwd1) {
        # =========== FAILED - write to messages file - return error =========
        system("/usr/bin/echo \"$datenow progserver chgpwd: ERROR changing $user
 password on check\" >> /var/adm/messages");
        die "";
    }

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for delete tmp files older than 15 days and owned by "xxx" id

Hi All , I want to delete files from /tmp directory created by "xxxx" id. because i got the list says more than 60 thousand files were created by "xxxx" id since 2002. The /tmp directory has lot of files created by different user ids like root,system etc.. But, i need a script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vparunkumar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than "x" if directory size is greater than "y"

I wrote a script to delete files which are older than "x" days, if the size of the directory is greater than "y" #!/bin/bash du -hs $1 while read SIZE ENTRY do if ; then find $1 -mtime +$2 -exec rm -f {} \; echo "Files older than $2 days deleted" else echo "free Space available"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
4 Replies

3. Solaris

difference between "root" and "usr" packages

Hi, could someone pls enlighten me on the difference between the "root" package and "usr" package? Like in this example: pkginfo -l SUNWGtku | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Usr) and pkginfo -l SUNWGtkr | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Root)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masloff
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

5. Web Development

Perl join two files by "common" column

Hello; I am posting to get any help on my code that I have been struggling for some time. The project is to join two files each with 80k~180k rows. I want to merge them together by the shared common column. The problem of the shared column is partially matching, not exactly the same. File1:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl -MConfig -e 'print "$Config{byteorder}\n";'

What exactly is this code returning: perl -MConfig -e 'print "$Config{byteorder}\n";' I am executing this command in two platforms. In AIX i am getting : 4321 In Linux i am getting: 12345678 Does it mean that a byte size in aix is of 4 bits(is it possible)? Also, will there be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baig_1988
2 Replies

8. AIX

Change "root" to "root.admin" in outgoing e-mails

Our AIX servers send e-mails which have the "from" address set to "root@company.com" for our root user ("C{M}company.com" in /etc/sendmail.cf). The problem is that when bad e-mails are sent out or rejected by remote servers, they are being returned and delivered to e-mail box of "Mary Root". ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
AppConfig::CGI(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       AppConfig::CGI(3pm)

NAME
AppConfig::CGI - Perl5 module for processing CGI script parameters. SYNOPSIS
use AppConfig::CGI; my $state = AppConfig::State->new(\%cfg); my $cgi = AppConfig::CGI->new($state); $cgi->parse($cgi_query); $cgi->parse(); # looks for CGI query in environment OVERVIEW
AppConfig::CGI is a Perl5 module which implements a CGI interface to AppConfig. It examines the QUERY_STRING environment variable, or a string passed explicitly by parameter, which represents the additional parameters passed to a CGI query. This is then used to update variable values in an AppConfig::State object accordingly. AppConfig::CGI is distributed as part of the AppConfig bundle. DESCRIPTION
USING THE AppConfig::CGI MODULE To import and use the AppConfig::CGI module the following line should appear in your Perl script: use AppConfig::CGI; AppConfig::CGI is used automatically if you use the AppConfig module and create an AppConfig::CGI object through the cgi() method. AppConfig::CGI is implemented using object-oriented methods. A new AppConfig::CGI object is created and initialised using the new() method. This returns a reference to a new AppConfig::CGI object. A reference to an AppConfig::State object should be passed in as the first parameter: my $state = AppConfig::State->new(); my $cgi = AppConfig::CGI->new($state); This will create and return a reference to a new AppConfig::CGI object. PARSING CGI QUERIES The "parse()" method is used to parse a CGI query which can be specified explicitly, or is automatically extracted from the "QUERY_STRING" CGI environment variable. This currently limits the module to only supporting the GET method. See AppConfig for information about using the AppConfig::CGI module via the cgi() method. AUTHOR
Andy Wardley, "<abw@wardley.org<gt"> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997-2007 Andy Wardley. All Rights Reserved. Copyright (C) 1997,1998 Canon Research Centre Europe Ltd. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
AppConfig, AppConfig::State perl v5.12.4 2007-05-30 AppConfig::CGI(3pm)