Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Threads v/s Connections
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Threads v/s Connections Post 35622 by google on Wednesday 23rd of April 2003 08:39:56 AM
Old 04-23-2003
from a quick google search.....
Threads:
All programmers are familiar with writing sequential programs. You've probably written a program that displays "Hello World!" or sorts a list of names or computes a list of prime numbers. These are sequential programs. That is, each has a beginning, an execution sequence, and an end. At any given time during the runtime of the program, there is a single point of execution.
A thread is similar to the sequential programs described previously. A single thread also has a beginning, a sequence, and an end and at any given time during the runtime of the thread, there is a single point of execution. However, a thread itself is not a program; it cannot run on its own. Rather, it runs within a program. There is nothing new in the concept of a single thread. The real hoopla surrounding threads is not about a single sequential thread. Rather, it's about the use of multiple threads in a single program, running at the same time and performing different tasks.

for more tasty tidbits on threads visit --> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutor...efinition.html

Connection:

What do you mean when you ask about a connection? There can be many differant interpretations for example: connection to a host (IP Address + Port = Socket) or connection to a database (Oracle, MySQL, Sybase).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Establishing connections

Hello there, just a quick question.....Can someone please explain the concept that enables you to establish a connection using the same userId Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Killing Connections

Say, for instance, that you are running a website. You are playing around, using netstat, etc. You notice all the people whom are connected to the site. You then wonder if there is a way to kill one or more of these connections. However, they are not PIDs so could you use the kill command? I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phobos
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP-UX: X connections...?

Hello All, I have 2 qries about X connections on HP-UX : 1.How/where to determine whether "X connections" to the server are controlled. 2. How/where to determine whether "X11 connection" are tunnelled via ssh. 3. How/where to determine the "Time in minutes before unattended X terminals... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhayh
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problems with connections

Hello everybody, Look, im having problems with connections from other server, i must recieve maximus 5 connections from the other server, when I run 'netstat -A | grep <THE_OTHER_SERVER_IP>' I can see how many connections I have already established, but when they open another connection, i mean... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lestat
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Threads and Threads Count ?

Hi all, How can I get the list of all Threads and the Total count of threads under a particular process ? Do suggest !! Awaiting for the replies !! Thanks Varun:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

6. SCO

UUCP connections

Hi There Is there a maximum number of concurrent incoming uucp connections to a server? SCO Openserver 5.07 Is there a parameter in some config file where this can be changed? Thanx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wjace
5 Replies

7. AIX

connections on server

I am using AIX 5.3, its a application server, i am giving the support of OS & Hardware only, now i want to check how many connections are connected to my server, means how many people using my server.:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reply.ravi
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Passwordless connections

Hi All! Please help me with this situation: I have 3 servers configured with the following network 10.100.48.xx and I have configured on the passwordless connection, and it is working fine. Now the app vendor ask me to configure a 2nd IP address on each of the 3 servers with a different IP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

1780 connections from one IP

Hello, one US IP having 1700+ connections when doing: netstat -tn 2>/dev/null | grep :80 | awk '{print $5}' | cut -d: -f1 | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr | head 1780 * ... * ... * i want to ask how to debug what this IP does? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Network Connections

I have a static IP 47.21.154.146 and two computers which I wish to talk to each other. The two IPs are 198.168.1.5 and 198.168.1.6. How do I do it. For example ls from one computer to the other. TIA (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
8 Replies
pause(2)							System Calls Manual							  pause(2)

NAME
pause - suspend process until signal SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
suspends the calling process until it receives a signal. The signal must be one that is not currently set to be ignored or blocked (masked) by the calling process. If the signal causes termination of the calling process, does not return. If the signal is by the calling process and control is returned from the signal-catching function (see signal(5)), the calling process resumes execution from the point of suspension; with a return value of -1 from and set to APPLICATION USAGE
Threads Considerations Signal dispositions (such as catch/default/ignore) are shared by all threads in the process and blocked signal masks are maintained by each thread. Therefore, the signals being waited for should not be ignored by the process or blocked by the calling thread. will suspend only the calling thread until it receives a signal. If other threads in the process do not block the signal, the signal may be delivered to another thread in the process and the thread in may continue waiting. For this reason, the use of is recommended instead of for multi-threaded applications. For more information regarding signals and threads, refer to signal(5). SEE ALSO
alarm(2), kill(2), sigwait(2), wait(2), signal(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
pause(2)