Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Upgrade Hard Disk to a larger one Post 3556 by Neo on Thursday 5th of July 2001 03:10:08 PM
Old 07-05-2001
Here is how I upgrade hard disks:

NOTE: This works only for partitions that do not have boot information !!!!!!

(1) Install the new )raw) hard disk on the system bus. Keep the old HD you wish to replace in place and operating as normal.

(2) Format the new drive, create a new filesystem and mount it.

(3) If step (2) goes OK then copy all the files from the old drive to the new drive using the cp command that preserves all permissions and symbolic links.

(4) After (3) is finished (might take some time for a lot of files); check to see if all is OK.

(5) Change fstab (the filesystem table) to mount the new drive in place of the old drive and mount the old drive is a new (temporary place).

(6) Reboot the system.

If you have done (1 - 5) correctly, the system will reboot with the new super drive in place of the old drive. The old drive will be mounted somewhere else. After all is well, you can decide what to do with the old drive.

NOTE: This works only for partitions that do not have boot information !!!!!!

If you are replacing the disk with boot sectors, this will not work. That requires more work Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Hard Disk

I have a cuestion. How Can I to add other hard disk to my computer? I need to configurate anyone? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaraver
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Upgrading To Larger Disk?

I have just been assigned the task of upgrading to a larger disk on a e250; however, I am use to working on Linux and x86 hardware. I would be very appreciative if someone could inform me on how this procedure can be done safely. To begin with, the e250 has a 18 Gig primary scsi disk and a 18... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

disk upgrade

Hi all, this s going to be my 1st time upgrading a disk.I need the ways or steps to migrate data from a 2gb disk to a 4gb disk which sits in the High Availability Disk Array Model 10.the os disk is the internal disk of the K200 system so i dont think i would be meddling around with that.what r... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giriplug
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a file whick is consuming larger disk space in file system

Hello, Can anybody please tell me the command to find out the filesystem or a file which is consuming larger disk space sing i want to find out the file and want to compress it please help me out any help would be appreciated (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokeshpashine
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk at 99% Help!

:eek: I use this Solaris to run CMS a call acounting software package for my job. No one could run reports today because it said the this when you logged on "The following file systems are low, and could adversely affect server performance: File system /: 99%full" Can some one please explain... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannyisme
9 Replies

6. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

7. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

8. AIX

Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ?

hello folks, I have a 300GB ROOTVG volume groups with one filesystem /backup having 200GB allocated space Now, I cannot alt disk clone or mirrorvg this hdisk with another smaller disk. The disk size has to be 300GB; I tried alt disk clone and mirrorvg , it doesn't work. you cannot copy LVs as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Use 'dd' to copy boot disk to larger target disk

Hi, I'm looking to copy a boot disk on an old Solaris 8 system using dd. I'll bring the system down to single user mode and begin from there. I'm copying my source disk to a larger target disk. Do I need to do anything other than the 'dd' command below because the target disk is bigger? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies
BOOTCDBACKUP(1) 						   bootcd utils 						   BOOTCDBACKUP(1)

NAME
bootcdbackup - create a bootable offline backup of a unix system SYNOPSIS
bootcdbackup [-i] [-v] [-s] [-c <config directory>] [-url <url] [-nomount] [-2diskconf <file>] <dev> <name> <builddir> DESCRIPTION
bootcdbackup creates a offline backup from a installed system. You need a running bootcd to boot the system with. This CD/DVD is booted on the system and bootcdbackup creates a bootable CD/DVD with the bootcd kernel and the backup disk as tar-file. To restore or clone the system, boot the CD/DVD image and install it with bootcd2disk -c <name> on the system. bootcdbackup can try to discover the disk partition by searching for fstab on the given partition. A other way to backup the partition ta- ble is the program bootcdmk2diskconf which creates a configuration file on a running system. OPTIONS
-i The bootcdbackup runs in interactive mode and you can run each function manually. This option is useful for debugging. -v The option "-v" (verbose) adds messages on running. -s This option can be used to disable interactive questions and to try to ignore errors. -c <config directory> The configuration directory which includes the file "bootcdbackup.conf", default is "/etc/bootcd". -url <url> If bootcdbackup is slow on your system (because of a slow CD/DVD drive or the HP ILO virtual CD interface), you can use an image server to get the image from. bootcdbackup use the SWAP partition of your upcoming system as temporary space and copy the image from the configured image server to this partition and use it as image. The image server url is configured with this option. -nomount The target disk should not be mounted and no search for fstab is done. --cpio Normally as backup tool star will be used if selinux files have to be backed up and cpio will be used if not. With this option the usage of cpio can be forced. --star Normally as backup tool star will be used if selinux files have to be backed up and cpio will be used if not. With this option the usage of star can be forced. -2diskconf <file> The parameter configures a bootcd2disk.conf for the restore of the system done by bootcd2disk. The configuration file can be created with the command bootcdmk2diskconf. <dev> Configures the device where bootcdbackup finds the file "fstab" and discover the configuration for the restore. <name> The name of the backup (no blanks!) is used on the creation time and to restore the backup with bootcd2disk -c <name>. <builddir> Builddir is an directory on the backup system where bootcdbackup build the backup CD/DVD. Space for the CD/DVD image, for compression and the data is needed! All other configuration has to be done in the config files. FILES
/etc/bootcd/bootcdbackup.conf Configuration for bootcdbackup. SEE ALSO
Documentation in bootcdbackup.conf bootcdbackup.conf(5), bootcd(1), bootcdflopcp(1), bootcdwrite(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bernd Schumacher <bernd.schumacher@hp.com> and Carsten Dinkelmann <Carsten.Dinkelmann@foobar-cpa.de> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). bootcdbackup 2007-07-05 BOOTCDBACKUP(1)