Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: convert hex to ascii text
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers convert hex to ascii text Post 35529 by dangral on Wednesday 16th of April 2003 11:10:03 AM
Old 04-16-2003
I had tried man ascii command, but it did not include extended ascii characters. I ended up finding it through google.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

converting hex to ascii

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone knows how to change hex code back into ascii. when i process a form: " / " turn to " %2F " " @ " turns to " %40 " " ' " turns to " %27 " " ( " turns to " %28 " " ) " turns to " %29 " this is my code so far: order.txt thanks, primal p.s.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: primal
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ascii To Hex

How will I display on screen a UNIX ascii file with its HEX equivalent. I want to check whether 0D 0A is coming at the end of the file which I am generating from UNIX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: augustinep
1 Replies

3. Linux

source code ASCII to HEx

Is there are any source code in ANSI C to convert ASCII to Hexa decimal. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thippeswamy
1 Replies

4. Programming

converaion ASCII to HEX

anyone knows any formulae or flow chart or procedure to convert ASCII characters into HEXA values... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thippeswamy
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

6. Programming

ascii to hex

Hello guys, i want to convert a text file to hex and have written this code : int main(int argc, char **argv) { ifstream file; string fileName = "CODEZ"; file.open(fileName.c_str()); // oeffen im Text-Modus if(file) {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingbruce
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting hex to ascii/decimal

I am writing a bash script to do some parsing on a log and I am running into a problem when it comes to converting only certain sections of the file from hex to ascii or hex to decimal. Data Example: The hex values after Hardware and SW Version I need to convert from Hex to ASCII and the... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiftkey
16 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Convert ASCII Text, with CRLF

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: write a script asciiFix.sh that takes an arbitrary number of file paths from the command line and carries out the same analysis on each one. If a file is not Windows ASCII, your script should do nothing to it. For each file that is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwatt019
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Convert "hex" foldername to "ascii"

So, I have a folder, containing subdirs like this: 52334d50 52365245 524b4450 524f3350 52533950 52535050 52555550 now I want to go ahead and rename all those folder: hex -> ascii (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
8 Replies
SHOWKEY(1)						      General Commands Manual							SHOWKEY(1)

NAME
showkey - examine the codes sent by the keyboard SYNOPSIS
showkey [-h|--help] [-a|--ascii] [-s|--scancodes] [-k|--keycodes] DESCRIPTION
showkey prints to standard output either the scan codes or the keycode or the `ascii' code of each key pressed. In the first two modes the program runs until 10 seconds have elapsed since the last key press or release event, or until it receives a suitable signal, like SIGTERM, from another process. In `ascii' mode the program terminates when the user types ^D. When in scancode dump mode, showkey prints in hexadecimal format each byte received from the keyboard to the standard output. A new line is printed when an interval of about 0.1 seconds occurs between the bytes received, or when the internal receive buffer fills up. This can be used to determine roughly, what byte sequences the keyboard sends at once on a given key press. The scan code dumping mode is primarily intended for debugging the keyboard driver or other low level interfaces. As such it shouldn't be of much interest to the regular end-user. However, some modern keyboards have keys or buttons that produce scancodes to which the kernel does not associate a keycode, and, after finding out what these are, the user can assign keycodes with setkeycodes(8). When in the default keycode dump mode, showkey prints to the standard output the keycode number or each key pressed or released. The kind of the event, press or release, is also reported. Keycodes are numbers assigned by the kernel to each individual physical key. Every key has always only one associated keycode number, whether the keyboard sends single or multiple scan codes when pressing it. Using showkey in this mode, you can find out what numbers to use in your personalized keymap files. When in `ascii' dump mode, showkey prints to the standard output the decimal, octal, and hexadecimal value(s) of the key pressed, according to he present keymap. OPTIONS
-h --help showkey prints to the standard error output its version number, a compile option and a short usage message, then exits. -s --scancodes Starts showkey in scan code dump mode. -k --keycodes Starts showkey in keycode dump mode. This is the default, when no command line options are present. -a --ascii Starts showkey in `ascii' dump mode. SEE ALSO
loadkeys(1), dumpkeys(1), keymaps(5), setkeycodes(8) 1 Feb 1998 SHOWKEY(1)