Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Upgrade Hard Disk to a larger one Post 3545 by DLongan on Thursday 5th of July 2001 10:22:54 AM
Old 07-05-2001
Upgrade Hard Disk to a larger one

Hello folks,

I have a sun sparcstation 20, I would like to upgrade one of the hard disks to a larger one. The one I would like to upgrade only contains user data. Here are my thoughts:

1. Backup the specific file system
2. Replace the disk with the larger disk
3. Create a new file system
4. Restore the user data

I would have liked to do a disk to disk copy but I am max on scsi devices so I will use tape.

Questions are:

1. I purchased a used Seagate ST19171/WC that supposedly came out of a sun box. I have read some threads here stating that it seems difficult to get generic hard disks to work with sun systems. Is this true and anyone know how to overcome this?

2. Using a backup utility called "Mr. Backup" is there anything special about the restore? Since the file systems will be different is there anything specific that I will need to do to get this to work. Or should I use the sun utilities tar /cpio?

All help would be greatly appreciated,

Don

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Hard Disk

I have a cuestion. How Can I to add other hard disk to my computer? I need to configurate anyone? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaraver
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Upgrading To Larger Disk?

I have just been assigned the task of upgrading to a larger disk on a e250; however, I am use to working on Linux and x86 hardware. I would be very appreciative if someone could inform me on how this procedure can be done safely. To begin with, the e250 has a 18 Gig primary scsi disk and a 18... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

disk upgrade

Hi all, this s going to be my 1st time upgrading a disk.I need the ways or steps to migrate data from a 2gb disk to a 4gb disk which sits in the High Availability Disk Array Model 10.the os disk is the internal disk of the K200 system so i dont think i would be meddling around with that.what r... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giriplug
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a file whick is consuming larger disk space in file system

Hello, Can anybody please tell me the command to find out the filesystem or a file which is consuming larger disk space sing i want to find out the file and want to compress it please help me out any help would be appreciated (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokeshpashine
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk at 99% Help!

:eek: I use this Solaris to run CMS a call acounting software package for my job. No one could run reports today because it said the this when you logged on "The following file systems are low, and could adversely affect server performance: File system /: 99%full" Can some one please explain... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannyisme
9 Replies

6. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

7. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

8. AIX

Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ?

hello folks, I have a 300GB ROOTVG volume groups with one filesystem /backup having 200GB allocated space Now, I cannot alt disk clone or mirrorvg this hdisk with another smaller disk. The disk size has to be 300GB; I tried alt disk clone and mirrorvg , it doesn't work. you cannot copy LVs as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Use 'dd' to copy boot disk to larger target disk

Hi, I'm looking to copy a boot disk on an old Solaris 8 system using dd. I'll bring the system down to single user mode and begin from there. I'm copying my source disk to a larger target disk. Do I need to do anything other than the 'dd' command below because the target disk is bigger? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies
DMC(1)																	    DMC(1)

NAME
dmc - controls the Disk Mount Conditioner SYNOPSIS
dmc start mount [profile-name|profile-index [-boot]] dmc stop mount dmc status mount [-json] dmc show profile-name|profile-index dmc list dmc select mount profile-name|profile-index dmc configure mount type access-time read-throughput write-throughput [ioqueue-depth maxreadcnt maxwritecnt segreadcnt segwritecnt] dmc help | -h DESCRIPTION
dmc(1) configures the Disk Mount Conditioner. The Disk Mount Conditioner is a kernel provided service that can degrade the disk I/O being issued to specific mount points, providing the illusion that the I/O is executing on a slower device. It can also cause the conditioned mount point to advertise itself as a different device type, e.g. the disk type of an SSD could be set to an HDD. This behavior consequently changes various parameters such as read-ahead settings, disk I/O throttling, etc., which normally have different behavior depending on the underlying device type. COMMANDS
Common command parameters: o mount - the mount point to be used in the command o profile-name - the name of a profile as shown in dmc list o profile-index - the index of a profile as shown in dmc list dmc start mount [profile-name|profile-index [-boot]] Start the Disk Mount Conditioner on the given mount point with the current settings (from dmc status) or the given profile, if pro- vided. Optionally configure the profile to remain enabled across reboots, if -boot is supplied. dmc stop mount Disable the Disk Mount Conditioner on the given mount point. Also disables any settings that persist across reboot via the -boot flag provided to dmc start, if any. dmc status mount [-json] Display the current settings (including on/off state), optionally as JSON dmc show profile-name|profile-index Display the settings of the given profile dmc list Display all profile names and indices dmc select mount profile-name|profile-index Choose a different profile for the given mount point without enabling or disabling the Disk Mount Conditioner dmc configure mount type access-time read-throughput write-throughput [ioqueue-depth maxreadcnt maxwritecnt segreadcnt segwritecnt] Select custom parameters for the given mount point rather than using the settings provided by a default profile. See dmc list for example parameter settings for various disk presets. o type - 'SSD' or 'HDD'. The type determines how various system behaviors like disk I/O throttling and read-ahead algorithms affect the issued I/O. Additionally, choosing 'HDD' will attempt to simulate seek times, including drive spin-up from idle. o access-time - latency in microseconds for a single I/O. For SSD types this latency is applied exactly as specified to all I/O. For HDD types, the latency scales based on a simulated seek time (thus making the access-time the maximum latency or seek penalty). o read-throughput - integer specifying megabytes-per-second maximum throughput for disk reads o write-throughput - integer specifying megabytes-per-second maxmimu throughput for disk writes o ioqueue-depth - maximum number of commands that a device can accept o maxreadcnt - maximum byte count per read o maxwritecnt - maximum byte count per write o segreadcnt - maximum physically disjoint segments processed per read o segwritecnt - maximum physically disjoint segments processed per write dmc help | -h Display help text EXAMPLES
dmc start / '5400 HDD' Turn on the Disk Mount Conditioner for the boot volume, acting like a 5400 RPM hard drive. dmc configure /Volumes/ExtDisk SSD 100 100 50 Configure an external disk to use custom parameters to degrade performance as if it were a slow SSD with 100 microsecond latencies, 100MB/s read throughput, and 50MB/s write throughput. IMPORTANT
The Disk Mount Conditioner is not a 'simulator'. It can only degrade (or 'condition') the I/O such that a faster disk device behaves like a slower device, not vice-versa. For example, a 5400 RPM hard drive cannot be conditioned to act like a SSD that is capable of a higher throughput than the theoretical limitations of the hard disk. In addition to running dmc stop, rebooting is also a sufficient way to clear any existing settings and disable Disk Mount Conditioner on all mount points (unless started with -boot). SEE ALSO
nlc(1) January 2018 DMC(1)