Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Can't log in other than root - display garbles Post 35442 by craig2k on Saturday 12th of April 2003 12:36:59 PM
Old 04-12-2003
Tried that, all users, including root use sh. I did try to change some to ksh but the end result is the same.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's the easiest way to display system cpu, memory, # drives/size ??

I am looking for the easiest and most generic way to determine: System model/class Number of cpu's Clock speed of cpu's (ie 550 MHz) Total Physical Memory (not virtual) Number of Drives/Drive Size Thanks in advance, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eyounes
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP ME HELP!!!! I can't Log in as root

I am running a Linux Red Hat 7.2 system and I can't log into the root account. When I tried to su to root from another user by using the command su - root, I get this error message: su: basename.c:67: base_name:Assertion `all-slashes || !((*(p - 1)) == '/ ' ) failed also, when I tried to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't su to root

I keep getting "su: Your own ID is unknown" whenever I try to su to root. Why is this??? I cannot find anything anywhere with this message. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stufine
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mistyped shell path, now i can't login as the only user that can su to root

i mistyped the location of bash and now i can't login as the only other user who belongs to wheel on my freebsd box. since i'm having many problems with samba, this has frozen my attempts to get things resolved with the former issue. i've been told that 'su -m' should do the trick, but it's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root user changed language display

Hi, I was carrying out some simple admin tasks setting up a user, logged in as root when I fumbled on the keyboard. It appears I typed cp * ../user/<esc><esc>I hit return and now the display has set to a strange array of symbols e.g. ¼Ùïõò §ÏÅÎÓÓȧ ãïîîåãôéïî èáó ôåòíéîáôåä I've tried looking at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: becky492
7 Replies
let(1)                                                             User Commands                                                            let(1)

NAME
let - shell built-in function to evaluate one or more arithmetic expressions SYNOPSIS
ksh let arg... DESCRIPTION
ksh Each arg is a separate "arithmetic expression" to be evaluated. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The value of the last expression is non-zero. 1 The value of the last expression is zero. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), typeset(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 let(1)