Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting getting rid of $ when entered at the command line Post 35270 by Perderabo on Friday 4th of April 2003 09:41:26 AM
Old 04-04-2003
The problem is that the interactive shell that is accepting the command line will treat $ specially. This happens before it even locates your coins script. Quoting the $ is an option.

Another option is to prompt the user for input and then read it yourself. And to strip off a dollar sign, you don't need sed when you're using ksh...

#! /usr/bin/ksh

print -n "Enter amount - "
read amt
print amt is $amt
amt=${amt#$}
print amt is $amt
exit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get rid of blank line in a flat text file

Hi, I have a flat text file which contains blank line between each text line. Is there any command to get rid of it? Thanks for your help (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: xfang
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get rid of last line

I have to process a data file in Ab Initio. This data file is pipe delimited. BUt the file may have a Disclaimer line at the end. So before picking it for processing, I need to check if this line is there I need to remove it. ANy suggestions. Thanks Shalu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shalua
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append 0 for single digit entered from command line

I have a script like this-- #!/bin/ksh echo "To pad a 0 before digits from 1-9" for i in $* do echo $i | sed 's//'0'/g' done I run this script as ksh name 1 2 23 34 The output should be 01 02 23 34 Help me in modifying this script. Thanks Namish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat last entered command ?

Hi, how to do that ? I mean only print it but not execute. I'm using putty to interact with ksh. (in windows cmd up arrow does the job) thanks vilius (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get rid of the 7th character of each line if this is a space

I have a text file like this ... B 16 1.340E+05 A 18 3.083E+02 Wu123 1.365E+02 ... I would like to get rid of the 7th character of each line if this is a space character. Thank you, Sarah (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete empty files from a directory entered in command prompt

My code to "Delete empty files from a directory entered in command promt" #/bin/sh echo "Enter directory" read gh for file in `ls $gh` do # to get the size of file a=$( ls -l file | awk ' {print $7} '); echo $a if then echo "removing file " rm file fi done (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adirajup
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to loop through array who's name is entered in command line?

Say I have a ksh program called test.ksh which has several defined arrays inside it such as array1,array2,array3...These arrays contain strings. I also have a method in the program: for x in $1 do ....(#do something) done So, when the user enteres: ./test.ksh array1, I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrskittles99
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to get rid of a duplicate output line...

Hi folks, I'm trying to work on a script that will grab a router interface report and generate the numbers of "in use" and "un-used" ports per device. Right now, I've got a cut down of the report as follows: sing /usr/apps/siteName/etc/DCAFT-9K.cmds for send text Connecting using... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : accept multiple user entered command line arguemnts

I am trying to create a script that will accept multi input from the user (really just me), then execute those command on a remote device. My question is if the I enter "No" at the confirmation point "Are these statements correct y or n ?", what is the best way to go back and start over ? I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to accept command line argument as character or text if number is entered?

Hello Does the unix korn shell provide a function to convert number entered in command line argument to text or Character so that in next step i will convert Chr to Hex (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadityapatel198
6 Replies
amt(1)								   User Commands							    amt(1)

NAME
amt - run abstract machine test SYNOPSIS
amt [-s] DESCRIPTION
The amt command is for use in a Common Criteria security certified system. The command is used to verify that the low level functions nec- essary to enforce the object reuse requirements of the Controlled Access Protection Profile are working correctly. /usr/bin/amt is a shell script that executes tests specific to your system. For a 32-bit system, the tests run as a 32-bit application. For a 64-bit system, the tests run twice; once as a 32-bit application and once as a 64-bit application. amt lists test results with a pass or fail for each test it performs, unless output is suppressed with the -s option. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -s Suppresses output. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 All tests passed. >0 Count of the number of tests that failed. <0 Incorrect command line argument. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 19 Aug 2003 amt(1)