Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to output awk to a variable Post 35206 by TioTony on Tuesday 1st of April 2003 09:56:20 PM
Old 04-01-2003
Hello,
If you goal is just to multiply $1 by 100 try this:

var=`expr $1 * 100`
echo $var

This should echo $1 times 100

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set a variable from awk output

I have a file which I am processing using awk to spit out the following: export CLIENT=1 ; export USER=1 ; export METABASE=1 ; export TASK=1 ; export TOTAL=3 What i want to do now is execute that within the script so those variables are available to other commands. I've tried piping the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cranie
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Output into a variable

Hi I am trying to store the output of awk into a variable in a shell script. I can run it successfully from the command line but not from a ksh shell script. ls -al test.txt | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}' returns -rw-r--r-- #!/bin/ksh perm=$(`ls -al test.txt | grep -v grep | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mace_560
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output in a variable

Not sure why it is not working the following : set -- $@ stype ="a" for shell_args in "$@" do $stype=` awk '{print substr ("'"$shell_args"'", 0, 3)}' ` echo $stype done Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andaluzia
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk for setting variable but change the output of this variable within awk

Hi all, Hope someone can help me out here. I have this BASH script (see below) My problem lies with the variable path. The output of the command find will give me several fields. The 9th field is the path. I want to captured that and the I want to filter this to a specific level. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cowardly
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on awk---- need to assign the output of awk to a variable

hi i want to find the size of a folder and assign it to a variable and then compare if it is greater than 1 gb. i am doin this script, but it is throwing error.... #!/bin/ksh cd . | du -s | size = awk '{print $1}' if size >= 112000 then echo size high fi ERROR : (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nithz
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning output from awk to variable

I have a script whose contents are as below result= awk 's=100 END {print s }' echo "The result is" $result The desired output is The result is 100 My script is running without exiting and i am also not getting the desired output. Please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bk_12345
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk question : system output to awk variable.

Hi Experts, I am trying to get system output to capture inside awk , but not working: Please advise if this is possible : I am trying something like this but not working, the output is coming wrong: echo "" | awk '{d=system ("date") ; print "Current date is:" , d }' Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the variable from awk output?

I am reading an xml file with date tag as <Date>Default</Date> using the below command. Dt=$(awk -F'' '/<Date>/{print $3}' /home/test/try.xml and getting the value from the xml file stored in this variable "Dt" echo $Dt gives me a value. Dt=Default. Now according to my requirement, If... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saidul
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo awk output from its variable

Stumped with the formatting of the awk output when used with variables, e.g.: awk -F, 'BEGIN {OFS=","} print {$2,$3,$4}' $infile1 produces the desired output (with rows), but when echoing the variable below, the output is one continuous line var1=$(awk -F, 'BEGIN {OFS=","} print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using variable output in awk

Hi, I am trying to use variable output in awk to append a string to a word in a line. But that is not happening. Could you please help me on this. YouTube Video Tutorial: How to Use Code Tags and Format Posts @UNIX.com The below is the code #!/bin/ksh set -x src=/users/oracle/Temp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvmanikandan
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)