Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: develop a new kernel
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting develop a new kernel Post 35072 by LivinFree on Thursday 27th of March 2003 12:36:56 AM
Old 03-27-2003
Please thoroughly read the README file in the /usr/src/linux* directory the source is in. It outlines the steps very clearly. Notably, you forgot to make and install modules, which you'll most likely want to do if you want a usable kernel (assuming it's not for an embedded kernel). Make sure to look at the output of make to make sure you don't get an error building the kernel. A common one I used to get when building the compressed image was that the kernel was too big to be bootable.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix develop environment

hi! i am Carlos i study @ UABC (Autonomy University of Baja California)... i have a final project.... i need to make a presentation of the new... unix develop environment... but... i have some problems with that.... could you tell me something to help me? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nx GT-R
0 Replies

2. Programming

How to Develop a 2 IPC system calls

I need to develop 2 IPC system calls. 1) The first one allows sender to send a message to set of receivers in a single call. 2) The second one allows receiver to receives all message that have been sent to it in a single call Please help me in developing this system calls ....atleast how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anki
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Develop 2 IPC System Calls

I need to develop 2 IPC system calls. 1) The first one allows sender to send a message to set of receivers in a single call. 2) The second one allows receiver to receives all message that have been sent to it in a single call Please help me in developing this system calls ....atleast how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anki
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to develop C program using UNIX command

hai friend, I am new to linux... I have to develop C program using unix command and i know the SYSTEM command.. But i need other then SYSTEM comand, plz send me the sample code.... Thank you.. sundar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sundar.lsr
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Develop Program with 'None Interactive Flag'

Hi I have created a program but am currently wondering how to develop it further. I wanted to know how i would go about developing the program further so that it is able to run with a "none interactive flag" enabling execution to be automated with the resultant file e-mailed to a user once a week.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: warlock129
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help to develop a new application

Hi all, I am a beginner in advanced unix and just i finished my course in that so now I want to develop an application using advanced unix concepts and middleware technology, so that i can gain an initial working knowledge. Kindly give me a suggestion of what i can develop. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyuk
5 Replies

7. Programming

Please help me to develop algorithm

Hi guys , in my study book from which I re-learn C is task to generate all possible characters combination from numbers entered by the user. I know this algorithm must use combinatorics to calculate all permutations. Problem is how to implement algortihm. // This program reads the four numbers... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to Develop a LINUX macro?

Hi Experts, i would like to get your help to do some development to the below linux commands which i run under .cmd file in windows @echo off call f:\linuxutils\grep.exe "T11" f:\blocked_ranges\dump3.txt|f:\linuxutils\grep.exe ",9647800"|f:\linuxutils\grep.exe... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mustafa.abdulsa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I would like to have some exercises to develop my skills

Hi , I would like to do some exercises/scripts in order to develop my skills in shell scripts, can someone pass me some links/suggestions where i can find this? Thanks a lot :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
3 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls every executable /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release, or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls every executable /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns with 0, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 208 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)