Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: set prompt in sh
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers set prompt in sh Post 35035 by yls177 on Tuesday 25th of March 2003 10:35:22 PM
Old 03-25-2003
its as belows
\u@\h:\w# PS1='$ '
$
yls177

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kill, set prompt

ok, there is a way to nicely kill a suspended job and to terminate another without using the mass -KILL command. also, how can I set my prompt temporarly without using the .bash_profile that uses the PS1. Thanks:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bitwize
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"Set prompt"

Hi Currently amending my bash profiles, there is a command that makes my session jump into another location. I just wonder if I could pre-define my prompt to begin with "cd " from this location (in order to navigate further into sub-directories). Is there any way of doing that? An important thing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set prompt, problems and tricks

I'm using a csh shell (or, that'd be my guess from the .cshrc file I see) and I'm looking to change my prompt. There are about 10 other threads, I know, but this question is a little more specific. I want to know, is there a way to list the current directory from a certain level or directory... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: HybridLogic
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

set timeout for ssh prompt

Hi all, I want to set a timeout say 10 sec to shh prompt i.e. if no password is enetered for 10 sec prompt should again come to shell. How can this be achieved ?? I am using Linux RHEL 5 and Solaris 10. Pls help. Thanks in adv. VIKAS (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

CWD in prompt only showing the directory when set

Hi Gurus, I am working in tcsh and i set the prompt with this. set prompt = "$cwd>" But I see teh prompt only gets reflected with the directory where I set the prompt. After i cd to another directory it still shows the old directory. Please advise (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kinny
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh/csh: set prompt in production to color red

Hi folks This is our prompt at the moment oracle@pinkipinki:/opt/oracle> grep 'set prompt' .cshrc set prompt = "$user@`uname -n`:$cwd> " We wish to have in production the same prompt, but red. Howto do that? I tried a lot a internet manuals, but it doesn't work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set prompt = pwd

Assume that you want to set your prompt to display the current working directory followed by a percent symbol and then a space. The command pwd can be used to display this information, so explain why the following command does not have the expected result: set prompt=" `pwd`'%' " Its a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blockshelf
7 Replies

8. HP-UX

Unable to Set Prompt to current working DIR

HPUX does not recognise \h,\w,\u to display the hostname,working directory and username respectively. So how do i set the PS1 variable to display my current working Directory as my prompt? I also tried PS1=$PWD, But it keeps showing the same directory path as prompt which PWD was holding at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Kulkarni
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies
PAM_GET_USER(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   PAM_GET_USER(3)

NAME
pam_get_user -- retrieve user name LIBRARY
Pluggable Authentication Module Library (libpam, -lpam) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <security/pam_appl.h> int pam_get_user(pam_handle_t *pamh, const char **user, const char *prompt); DESCRIPTION
The pam_get_user() function returns the name of the target user, as specified to pam_start(3). If no user was specified, nor set using pam_set_item(3), pam_get_user() will prompt for a user name. Either way, a pointer to the user name is stored in the location pointed to by the user argument, and the corresponding PAM item is updated. The prompt argument specifies a prompt to use if no user name is cached. If it is NULL, the PAM_USER_PROMPT item will be used. If that item is also NULL, a hardcoded default prompt will be used. Additionally, when pam_get_user() is called from a service module, the prompt may be affected by module options as described below. The prompt is then expanded using openpam_subst(3) before it is passed to the conversation function. MODULE OPTIONS
When called by a service module, pam_get_user() will recognize the following module options: user_prompt Prompt to use when asking for the user name. This option overrides both the prompt argument and the PAM_USER_PROMPT item. RETURN VALUES
The pam_get_user() function returns one of the following values: [PAM_BUF_ERR] Memory buffer error. [PAM_CONV_ERR] Conversation failure. [PAM_SYSTEM_ERR] System error. SEE ALSO
openpam_get_option(3), openpam_subst(3), pam(3), pam_conv(3), pam_get_authtok(3), pam_get_item(3), pam_set_item(3), pam_start(3), pam_strerror(3) STANDARDS
X/Open Single Sign-On Service (XSSO) - Pluggable Authentication Modules, June 1997. AUTHORS
The pam_get_user() function and this manual page were developed for the FreeBSD Project by ThinkSec AS and Network Associates Laboratories, the Security Research Division of Network Associates, Inc. under DARPA/SPAWAR contract N66001-01-C-8035 (``CBOSS''), as part of the DARPA CHATS research program. The OpenPAM library is maintained by Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@des.no>. BSD
September 12, 2014 BSD