Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Curious
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Curious Post 34592 by skotapal on Friday 28th of February 2003 12:39:29 PM
Old 02-28-2003
Question Curious

Dear All
I am curious to know, that in a system compromise, when someone has access to a box, does that individual have access to a shell on the system, i.e. the person is logging into the system using telnet or SSH to remotely access the box?? How does this individual/ hacker access the system. I know it is dumb question, but please someone clarify this to me.

Also could someone direct me to a site that explains backdoors in detail? What are they, how to detect, etc.

Thanks

KS

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just curious, does Unix stand for anything?

If not, where did the name come from? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pudad
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Curious Dummy

I have a website but I do not for the life of me know how to upload using unix based command lines. Can someone send me a good site that has these commands. That and I am curious to know more about command line based interfacing. :D Curious Dummy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highway39
1 Replies

3. Linux

Curious?

To correct most of the problems with this language, How do I remove the DOS and WORD stuff from it? These come from the fact that it was written on those with a Microsoft supplied platform at the writers request. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: River Freight
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Curious 'ls' Issue

Hi, I am seeing a curious issue with 'ls' command. If I open a telnet session of my Solaris box and give "ls". The output is in 3 columns. a b c d e f g h i j k l However, if I give the same command after a couple of hours in the same window, it goes to 6 columns according to the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

curious

sorry, just simple question: how can i do this in bash> foreach i( 1 2 3 ) sed 's/Hello/Howdy/g' test$i > test$i.new mv test$i.new test$i end (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurosaki
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Curious about the -9

I was talking to a coworker and we got into a discussion about the -9. No one knew where the -9 came from and it's not in the man. I suggested that it was like counting to 10 (0-9) and you finally get to the point that that's it, the durned thing is going to die. So how did the -9 come to mean... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pflickner
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curious

I dont get something about sed If i have a text file inside contain a:a:a:a:a sed "s/"$title:$author:$price:$qtyAvailable:$qtySold"/"$Ntitle:$author:$price:$qtyAvailable:$qtySold"/" This work!! but If i have a text file inside contain Tom Tom:La La:Di Di :Do Do :De DE It cannot work... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GQiang
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two curious questions

Hi, I have been thinking about a few things that I have no idea of how to do with a scripting language (awk/sed I know to make proper use of just these 2). 1. Is there a way to have persistent variables? Say a variable that will be held in memory, and which can be accessed by subsequent... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
7 Replies
dxsetacl(8X)															      dxsetacl(8X)

NAME
dxsetacl - Graphical interface for setting the ACL on a file or directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/X11/dxsetacl [arguments...] OPTIONS
The name of the file or directory to operate on. The regular X resources can be supplied to dxsetacl on the command line. DESCRIPTION
The dxsetacl command provides a graphical interface for examining and setting file access control lists (ACLs). If a path is specified on the command line, the file system object represented by path is used as the target of the command. In addition, there is a Find Object area on the main dialog box. A path may be typed in, or located by browsing the file system. A file reference may be dragged from a CDE application, such as the File Manager, and dropped on the Find Object area. Once an object is selected, its full path name, object type, owner, and group are displayed along with the ACL. The ACL is displayed, one entry per line, in a list widget. Clicking on an entry selects it. Double clicking on an entry or selecting the Change Entry button brings up a dialog that allows the fields of the entry to be modified. Clicking on the Delete Entry button removes the entry. The owning user, owning group, and other user entries may be modified but not deleted. (See acl(4) for more information.) The New Entry button may be used to create a new group or user entry. If the object is a regular file, device special file, or UNIX domain socket, it only has an access ACL. If the object is a directory, it has an access ACL, a default access ACL, and a default directory ACL. Which ACL of a directory is being edited may be selected with a radio button. Note The dxsetacl command will show and set ACLs on file system objects, regardless of whether ACLs are used by the system for access decisions. The sysman secconfig utility is used to enable ACL checking. SEE ALSO
Commands: X(1X), secconfig(8) Files: acl(4) dxsetacl(8X)