Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can someone please give me information about WAN and LAN Post 34493 by TRUEST on Monday 24th of February 2003 11:09:22 PM
Old 02-25-2003
Can someone please give me information about WAN and LAN

I just need to know the important concepts. I tried searching on the internet for information about this but got bombarded with too many un-neccessary details I find confusing and helpless.

I just need to know WAN and LAN concerning how to monitor them and fix or (troubleshoot) basic problems

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to configure private LAN and coporate LAN on the same machine-Solaris10

Hi , I am trying to configure a private LAN and corporate LAN on the same machien on Solaris 10. How can I achieve this? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deedee
1 Replies

2. Programming

LAN card status Information

Please tell me API in Solaris / Linux / UNIX to get status information of LAN card. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansoorulhaq
1 Replies

3. Web Development

Cannot access Apache web server from Wan side, only Lan side.

I have installed WAMPSERVER 2.0 on my windows vista x64 system but still am having issues with getting the webserver to be seen outside my local network. It is working fine within my local network. Been through several setup tutorials so far, no dice still. For testing purposes I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davidmanvell
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Local Lan, no-ip directed DNS forward, surf within lan

Hi, We have a website running on a local centos 5.4 surfer, static IP. The domain.com uses no-ip.com to take care of the DNS, it forwards all to my server. My router receives the port 80 call, routes it to my server and the world can see domain.com perfectly fine. However, we cannot see... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
3 Replies

5. Solaris

what is SAN and LAN backup -give difference

Dear All, Can anyone tell what is SAN and LAN backup and what is the diference between them? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: masthan25
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Different hostnames with reboot while lan cable, no lan cable

I am facing strange problem regarding hostname on my Linux(2.6.18-164.el5xen x86_64 GNU/Linux), the hostname changes if reboot with lan cable and with NO lan cable Reboot with lan cable: The hostname is ubunut Unable to connect Oracle database using sqlplus some times database is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxLearner
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

LAN traffic leaking on to WAN

Network map: WAN external interface 192.0.0.0 network | WAN internal interface 192.0.3.0 network | 192.0.3.0 LAN | wireless router 192.0.3.1 | DSL modem 192.0.3.2 The problem I am having is that some traffic from the 192.0.3.0 LAN seems to be "leaking" onto the 192.0.0.0 WAN. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Wan on eth1 and Lan on eth0

I have a local network on dev eth0 Server has static IP of 10.0.0.1 Gateway is 10.0.0.1 and Dns is 10.0.0.1 I am using this network for imaging 500 plus computer... Now, Issue that I am having is that I need to update packages and I dont want to change the configuration on eth0 because I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: golpemortal
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of prtdiag to give information of sectors,cylinders,track of each disk

Hi All, i am trying to get sectors,cylinders,track..etc information of all present disks out of solaris machine using prtvtoc command . Output of ptrvtoc command is as below : bash-3.2# prtvtoc /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 * /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 partition map * * Dimensions: * 512 bytes/sector... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
2 Replies
IPTRAF(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 IPTRAF(8)

NAME
iptraf - Interactive Colorful IP LAN Monitor SYNOPSIS
iptraf { [ -f ] [ -q ] [ { -i iface | -g | -d iface | -s iface | -z iface | -l iface } [ -t timeout ] [ -B [ -L logfile ] ] ] | [ -h ] } DESCRIPTION
iptraf is an ncurses-based IP LAN monitor that generates various network statistics including TCP info, UDP counts, ICMP and OSPF informa- tion, Ethernet load info, node stats, IP checksum errors, and others. If the command is issued without any command-line options, the program comes up in interactive mode, with the various facilities accessed through the main menu. OPTIONS
These options can also be supplied to the command: -i iface immediately start the IP traffic monitor on the specified interface, or all interfaces if "-i all" is specified -g immediately start the general interface statistics -d iface allows you to immediately start the detailed on the indicated interface (iface) -s iface allows you to immediately monitor TCP and UDP traffic on the specified interface (iface) -z iface shows packet counts by size on the specified interface -l iface start the LAN station monitor on the specified interface, or all LAN interfaces if "-l all" is specified -t timeout tells IPTraf to run the specified facility for only timeout minutes. This option is used only with one of the above parameters. -B redirect standard output to /dev/null, closes standard input, and forks the program into the background. Can be used only with one of the facility invocation parameters above. Send the backgrounded process a USR2 signal to terminate. -L logfile allows you to specify an alternate log file name. The default log file name is based on either the interface selected (detailed interface statistics, TCP/UDP service statistics, packet size breakdown), or the instance of the facility (IP traffic monitor, LAN station monitor). If a path is not specified, the log file is placed in /var/log/iptraf -f clears all locks and counters, causing this instance of IPTraf to think it's the first one running. This should only be used to recover from an abnormal termination or system crash. -q no longer needed, maintained only for compatibility. -h shows a command summary SIGNALS
SIGUSR1 - rotates log files while program is running SIGUSR2 - terminates an IPTraf process running in the background. FILES
/var/log/iptraf/*.log - log file /var/local/iptraf/* - important IPTraf data files SEE ALSO
Documentation/* - complete documentation written by the author AUTHOR
Gerard Paul Java (riker@mozcom.com) MANUAL AUTHOR
Frederic Peters (fpeters@debian.org), using iptraf --help General manual page modifications by Gerard Paul Java (riker@mozcom.com) IPTraf Help Page IPTRAF(8)