Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl, Pipes, and FTP
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Perl, Pipes, and FTP Post 3449 by murdaugh on Monday 2nd of July 2001 03:52:08 PM
Old 07-02-2001
Question Perl, Pipes, and FTP

I am attempting to automate an ftp session in PERL by emulating the user and sending commands to ftp, but I am getting unexpected and unwanted results. Here is a portion code that illustrates the method I am attempting (this was just a shot in the dark):

system("(
echo open server
sleep 1
echo username
sleep 1
echo password
sleep 1
echo ls) | ftp");

The ftp server doesn't appear to be interpretting the commands, and it appears to hang up somewhere around the username/password entry. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Bryan Murdaugh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using perl to ftp

Hi all, I am trying to download a build from an ftp server. My problem is that my build contains sub folders and files within the sub folders. I can ftp a single file at a time, but it will be difficult to specify all the paths and download individula files. My build structure is: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl help with pipes and file handles (simple issue)

Hello, I have a program which opens a pipe for communication using file handle and forks 5 child processes. @waitlist = (1,2,3,4,5); foreach $item (@waitlist) { pipe *{$item},RETHAND; unless ($pid = fork()) { # Child process print RETHAND... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_learner
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ftp code in Perl

Hi All, i want to have a ftp function in my perl but i am unfamailiar with the perl syntax. Can any body help ? The ftp code below is in csh, can anybody help to convert this to perl with the same functionality ? foreach t (10.10.10.10 20.20.20.20) set USER = "xxx" set PASS = "zzz"... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to automate ftp in perl

My situations is I cannot use NET::ftp. So I need to have a way to automate ftp. I know how to do it in ksh: #!/usr/bin/ksh ftp -i -v -n $host_name <<_FTP >> $log_file 2>&1 user $user_name lcd $local_dir cd $remote_dir put $file_name bye _FTP But how can I do it in perl? Note:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: egyfan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp files in perl

Hi, I am using NET::FTP in perl to tranfer files. i have an array of files and then I m getting one bye one using foreach. the problem is I m not gettng the complete list of files. the program terminates after 2 files. when I execute again it will transfer the remaining 2 files. (... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellwell
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp in perl

Hi, I have three files in this /home/mani/ location. I would like to ftp to another server. could you please give perl for that requirement. Thanks, Mani (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
10 Replies

8. HP-UX

[Solved] Unable to rename file in ftp server .Net:FTP perl

Hello All, I am trying to connect to ftp server and get the files. Also i need to rename the file in other ftp dir. rename method is not allowing me to rename the file in other dir. When i tried copy command by using net::FTP:FILE then perl says it is not installed. Can some body help me to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with FTP Monitoring Using Perl

Hi, Can anyone help me to start a monitoring script in perl of a FTP server. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanik143
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ftp the files in perl.?

i want to upload two different files in to two different directories(path) on ftp server.but i am able to ftping only one at a time :(.. not both simultaneously. here i have connectd the ftp and use the binary mode to transfer the files $ftp = Net::FTP->new($ftphost, Debug => 0) or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarts
2 Replies
PAM_FTP(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual							PAM_FTP(8)

NAME
pam_ftp - PAM module for anonymous access module SYNOPSIS
pam_ftp.so [debug] [ignore] [users=XXX,YYY,...] DESCRIPTION
pam_ftp is a PAM module which provides a pluggable anonymous ftp mode of access. This module intercepts the user's name and password. If the name is ftp or anonymous, the user's password is broken up at the @ delimiter into a PAM_RUSER and a PAM_RHOST part; these pam-items being set accordingly. The username (PAM_USER) is set to ftp. In this case the module succeeds. Alternatively, the module sets the PAM_AUTHTOK item with the entered password and fails. This module is not safe and easily spoofable. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. ignore Pay no attention to the email address of the user (if supplied). ftp=XXX,YYY,... Instead of ftp or anonymous, provide anonymous login to the comma separated list of users: XXX,YYY,.... Should the applicant enter one of these usernames the returned username is set to the first in the list: XXX. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the auth module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The authentication was successful. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/ftpd to handle ftp style anonymous login: # # ftpd; add ftp-specifics. These lines enable anonymous ftp over # standard UN*X access (the listfile entry blocks access to # users listed in /etc/ftpusers) # auth sufficient pam_ftp.so auth required pam_unix.so use_first_pass auth required pam_listfile.so onerr=succeed item=user sense=deny file=/etc/ftpusers SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_ftp was written by Andrew G. Morgan <morgan@kernel.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_FTP(8)