Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Daemons
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Daemons Post 34426 by Pennywize on Friday 21st of February 2003 02:30:31 AM
Old 02-21-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by norsk hedensk
Thank you very much...!.... I have understood, how it works and now is all OK.......Smilie.....

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

DNS daemons

Does anyone know the command to start the DNS Daemon. I looked in the /etc/init.d/inetsvc file and it tells me what the text should look like. When I go to open the corresponding files they are encoded and I can't read them. So is there a command that will start the DNS daemon? If... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deuce
8 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

root owner of daemons?

Hi all, what happens if i have a service running as root? if it is exploited what would happen? can a hacker actually becomes a hacker and screw up my whole box? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xNYx
1 Replies

3. Linux

A doubt on Daemons

Hi there! I'm a bit curious on something about Daemons.... Supose you have two processes say A and B, where B is a daemon. A is totally independent from B. Is there a way for A to find out B's return code? Is there a way for A to find out when B ends? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marioh
4 Replies

4. Solaris

SUN SOLARIS boot: start daemons

Hi, I have a problem on a Solaris 9 server! After a restart some daemons don't start and I have to start them manually! I thing that everything is ok in the /sbin/rc3 script! And if I run manually the "/etc/init.d/xxx start" the services start without problem. I didn't find anything in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ctap
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting daemons at reboot.

I rebooted my server (solaris 5.8) and I had to manually start the cron and mailx daemons. How do I get these to automatically start at reboot? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping and backgroud processes (daemons)

Hello to all, I've a strage problem here: a perl script that parses the output of sar -q 300 0 (one line of performace data each 5 min. infinately) works fine from the CLI. It processes one line output every 5 minutes. If i disconnect it from the terminal (executing it with cron, nohup startporc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demwz
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

daemons definition

hi there, can somebody give me a definition for daemons, or example what are they !! and what the use for? i've done some research and all what i found is /etc/... or /usr/bin/... and i haven't quietly got the concept. any ideas !! Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2Linux
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

status of daemons

Hi there all, Hey, is there a way to get the status of all daemons running on a HPUX? in an easy way? Like the same way how to vieuw the status of packages in cmviewcl. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: draco
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Command to list down all daemons in Solaris

Hi All, Is there any command to list all running daemons in Solaris. I should able to see only running daemons. Regards, SKumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nskumar
5 Replies
fsdaemon(1M)															      fsdaemon(1M)

NAME
fsdaemon - pass-through daemon for processing system commands SYNOPSIS
fork] DESCRIPTION
The is a user level daemon that provides a mechanism to pass information between applications and common commands and library functional- ity, allowing certain applications to dynamically add functionality to a system. This is currently only supported for the class of APIs, such as: The API are not yet publicly available, but the commands that use the mentioned APIs depend on this daemon to always be running in the HP- UX environments. Options When is started, indicates whether it should fork a child process and exit the parent process or run just as the parent process and not return. A value of 1 for fork will make fork and exec a child process and then cause the parent process to exit. Kills the current running instance of Tests and waits until is ready to process commands. There is a window where could be started and not yet setup to process commands. The caller should invoke separately with the option to block until is ready to process commands. The entries to start are in the file. These entries be present to ensure correct functionality of the system. They should appear as one of the first entries in placing entries before entries in is dangerous and unsupported. The following are some of the HP-UX commands that use via the above APIs: and RETURN VALUE
: 0 Successful start of If invoked with the option, 0 is always returned. >0 Errno of failure that caused to fail to start. This applies only if was started with the option. ERRORS
If is not running, the errno will be returned by an application that invokes these APIs. If this happens, please see your system adminis- trator to make sure is properly running. EXAMPLES
To start such that it can be invoked without permanently blocking the calling process: To kill the currently running instance of To check to see if the currently running instance of is ready and able to process requests sent to it: The following entries for starting should appear in the file: WARNINGS
The APIs are not yet publicly available, but the commands that use the mentioned family of APIs depend on this daemon to always be running on HP-UX environments. The administrator is not expected to invoke the command from the shell prompt; it should always be started via an entry in This manpage is provided for administrator's trouble shooting purposes, and to allow the system administrator to repair the entries for this daemon in case of corruption. The interface/options provided in this manpage are HP-UX release specific, and may be different in future releases. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
fstyp(1M), mkboot(1M), mount(1M), fstatfsdev(3C), fstatvfsdev(3C), statvfsdev(3C), statfsdev(3C), inittab(4). fsdaemon(1M)