Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problems installing Solaris 2.6 on E4500 Post 3441 by htsubamoto on Monday 2nd of July 2001 11:40:25 AM
Old 07-02-2001
Be sure to use the latest Solaris 2.6 Media Kit available. There are some releases that do not support SPARC II Processors, and the kernel panics during the boot. I had a similar problem, while installing Solaris 2.6 in an ULTRA 10 workstation. Note that the Solaris Media Kit must be the latest, not only the Hardware environment.

any comments, be free

HTT

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problems about installing Solaris 8 on PC

1. OSes coexistence can i install solaris 8 on my pc's 3th primary harddisk partition without damage the user and boot datas of installed operation system? and does i have to install Solaris 8 within several G(such as 8G) size of the harddisk? the following is partition table of my harddisk: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samprax
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems installing perl5

Hi!! I have problems installing perl5 in a Tru64 4.0F enviroment, and i need it to install OpenSSL and OpenSSH to establis a SFTP... I'm installing perl 5.8.8 but an error occurr during make test, i ran ./perl harness and the result is the problem is on op/filetest.t I didn't know what to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: irasela
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Problems Installing Top

I've been trying to install Top on our Solaris box but it's giving me some trouble. The uname -a command shows SunOS servername 5.9 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250 I downloaded Top form www.unixtop.com. On the initial install I got errors because I didn't have a C compiler installed.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenLynch
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Problems de-installing NetConnect

I have run into a problem while attempting to de-install netconnect from a Sol8 box. We got an error during the un-install script when it tries to remove SUNWsrsrp. It can't find the srsuser. We have no idea what user was specified initially. I have tried to remove the package on its own, to no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i_am_homer
2 Replies

5. Solaris

E4500 Raid

I have a Sun E4500 with some disk attached. Right now, everything is RAID 0 (no mirroring, RAID 5, etc.). Each disk (all 33.6 G) have 1 slice on them. Is it possible to put in RAID 0 or RAID 5? How much data would we lose by doing this? Is it even possible? What software would I use? It is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Will re-installing the Solaris OS help when present OS has problems

Does re-installing the Solaris OS when the existing OS has problems solve the issue? Problem here I mean "FILE SYSTEM BAD" after a fsck and the machine is not rebooting. My doubt also includes the question whether all inodes etc in the hard disk of the Sun machine gets re-formatted when we... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lydiaEd
2 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

problems installing mixmaster 3.0 to solaris 10

hello all, i'm having problems installing mixmaster 3.0 from this site SourceForge.net: Mixmaster. The file I downloaded is mixmaster-3.0.tar.gz. Consulting the readme file of the mixmaster 3.0 says that the libraries for the follwing should be installed - OpenSSL, zlib, pcre, ncurses. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lima
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Problems installing Solaris 10

I just built my new computer with a q6600 quad core, 4 gig ram, Nvidia vidoo card but when I try to install the latest Solaris 10 on it the keyboard is not being detected when the installation starts so I'm unable to go complete the installation. First I tried a USB keyboard and it didn't work,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isomorphic
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Java Problems

Hello, When i attempt to install Java. I get this error code Can someone tell me what im doing wrong. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fob Upset
2 Replies

10. AIX

Installing SAMBA problems

I have created an LPAR and the next step is to get SAMBA installed, I have mounted our NIM server up and copied over the SAMBA binaries .bff files. How do i install these? i tried doing this through SMIT but had no luck..? Any help would be greatly appreciated. AIX OS 6.1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: audis$
2 Replies
root_archive(1M)														  root_archive(1M)

NAME
root_archive - manage bootable miniroot archives SYNOPSIS
/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive pack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive packmedia solaris_image root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpackmedia solaris_image root The root_archive utility is used to manage bootable miniroot archives and is currently only available on platforms. The utility can pack and unpack boot/root archives in both ufs and hsfs (iso9660) format. It will always generate ufs archives. root_archive also uses the lofi file driver to export a file as a block device (see lofi(7D)) and mount to mount or unmount file systems and remote resources (see mount(1M)). root_archive requires the same privileges that are needed to run these commands. SUBCOMMANDS
The root_archive command has the following subcommands: pack archive root Pack from the image found under the root directory to the archive. unpack archive root Unpack from the archive to an unpacked image under the root directory. packmedia solaris_image root Pack the solaris image to the root directory. unpackmedia solaris_image root Unpack the solaris image from the root directory. For packmedia and unpackmedia, other items that do not go into the ramdisk image are copied or uncopied (see cpio(1)) as well. Specifi- cally, this includes all the packaging databases needed for pkgadd and the other packaging utilities to succeed which are not used in the running and hence pruned to conserve memory. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Unpacking the Solaris x86 install image The following command unpacks the current Solaris image from the root directory: # root_archive unpackmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot Where /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest represents a path to a Solaris x86 install image and /export/Boot is a directory that will be purged or created, as necessary. Example 2: Packing the Solaris x86 install image The following command packs the current Solaris image to the root directory: # root_archive packmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot The following exit values are returned: 0 The command completed successfully. 1 The command exited due to an error. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ cpio(1), bootadm(1M), mount(1M), attributes(5), lofi(7D) 26 Sep 2005 root_archive(1M)