Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: counting characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting counting characters Post 34383 by LivinFree on Wednesday 19th of February 2003 02:32:52 PM
Old 02-19-2003
I don't know what shell you're using, but this works in ksh93:
Code:
#! /bin/ksh

cnt=0
while read -n 1 char; do
        [[ "$char" == "(" || "$char" == ")" ]] && {
        ((cnt++))
        }
done

print There were $cnt characters found!

$ echo "this (by that I mean this) is a \"paren\": )" | ./count.ksh
There were 3 characters found!
$

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters between comma's

I have a comma delimited file that roughly has 300 fields. Not all fields are populated. This file is fed into another system, what I need to do is count the amount of characters in each field and give me an output similiar to this: 1 - 6,2 - 25 The first number is the field and the second... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting the occurence of particular characters

I want to list the occurence of particular characters in a line. my file looks like this a,b,c,d e,f,g h,y:e,g,y s f;g,s,w and I want to count how many commas are in each line so the file in the end looks like this: a,b,c,d 3 e,f,g 2 h,y:e,g,y s 3 f;g,s,w ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Audra
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting characters

Hi All, I need some help in counting the number of letters in a big file with separations. Following is the file I have >AB_1 MLKKPIIIGVTGGSGGGKTSVSRAILDSFPNARIAMIQHDSYYKDQSHMSFEERVKTNYDHPLAFDTDFM IQQLKELLAGRPVDIPIYDYKKHTRSNTTFRQDPQDVIIVEGILVLEDERLRDLMDIKLFVDTDDDIRII... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters with sed

Input: ghw//yw/hw///??u How can i count the slashes("/") using sed? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking characters and counting them

Nevermind, I figured out a way using the sed command. But I forget the basic way of counting characters within a variable :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters within a file

Ok say I wanted to count every Y in a data file. Then set Y as my delimiter so that I can separate my file by taking all the contents that occur BEFORE the first Y and store them in a variable so that I may use this content later on in my program. Then I could do the same thing with the next Y's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of characters

Hi all, Can someone help me in getting the following o/p I/p:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters vertically

I do have a big file in the following format >A1 ATGCGG >A2 TCATGC >A3 -TGCTG The number of characters will be same under each subheader and only possible characters are A,T,G,C and - I want to count the number of A's, T's,G's, C's & -'s vertically for all the positions so that I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters at each position

Hi All, here's a question from newbie I have a data like this, which set of small DNA sequences separated by new line GAATCCGGAAACAGCAACTTCAAANCA GTNATTCGGGCCAAACTGTCGAA TTNGGCAACTGTTAGAGCTCATGCGACA CCTGCTAAACGAGTTCGAGTTGAANGA TTNCGGAAGTGGTCGCTGGCACGG ACNTGCATGTACGGAGTGACGAAACCI... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amits22
6 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)                                              General Commands Manual                                             CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)