Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Answers to Frequently Asked Questions Email Antispam Techniques and Email Filtering allowing others with dynamic IPs to use your email service. Post 34333 by norsk hedensk on Monday 17th of February 2003 12:26:41 PM
Old 02-17-2003
allowing others with dynamic IPs to use your email service.

if you are running pop3 and smtp and wish to allow others to have an email address using your service out side of your local network you may run into a problem; relaying should be disallowed for others out side of your private network, so how do you allow someone with an account that you gave them to use your mail service, without opening your server to be an open relay for anyone who wants to abuse it? this website: http://popbsmtp.sourceforge.net/

provides a great perl utility that will look at successful pop3 logins and then create a temporary database with that users ipaddress and user name. with that you can set your mail server, (postfix, sendmail...) to look at the database and will allow mail relaying for those that have successful pop3 logins. this utility works with various pop3 servers, and the website includes detailed instructions on just exactly how to set it up. all youll hav eto do i tell your users to CHECK their mail first before they try to send it.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sql dynamic table / dynamic inserts

I have a file that reads File (X.txt) Contents of record 1: rdrDESTINATION_ADDRESS (String) "91 971502573813" rdrDESTINATION_IMSI (String) "000000000000000" rdrORIGINATING_ADDRESS (String) "d0 movies" rdrORIGINATING_IMSI (String) "000000000000000" rdrTRAFFIC_EVENT_TIME... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magedfawzy
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic email attachments

Hi all, I am quite new to Unix shell scripting and I am trying to create a common function to send mail that is capable of adding multiple attachments. The script works if there is only one attachment. But when there is more than one, it just won't work. It gives a syntax message "Usage:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dongzky
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

Need help in allowing symmetric cryptography[2]

I have encountered some problems in my school work. Here is the question: The server that provides the time synchronization must be configured to allow its clients to verify its authenticity using symmetric cryptography. Much Appreciated!:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wilsonljx
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need help in allowing symmetric cryptography[2]

The server that provides the time synchronization must be configured to allow its clients to verify its authenticity using symmetric cryptography. 4. Singapore Polytechnic, Dover, Singapore,Mr Kam, and Computer Engineering I don't think there is any coding since it is just configuring... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonljx
3 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

IP Tables not allowing ports

Hi guys, I'm trying to configure iptables to only allow certain ports access. I set the first set of rules to block everything and then subsequently open ports as needed, but everything still seems to be blocked. I have read that the order matters (new to iptables), perhaps this is an issue.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Allowing External Scans

Hello! I run an HP Unix system which I host oracle databases on, as well as oracle based apps used by my company. My IA department needs to scan my files to ensure I am following IA procedures and check for vulnerabilities in scripts etc. The scan is coming from corporate, and they asked for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpuxguy
2 Replies
pop3d::udb(n)						      Tcl POP3 Server Package						     pop3d::udb(n)

NAME
pop3d::udb - Simple user database for pop3d SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require pop3d::udb ?1.0? ::pop3d::udb::new ?dbName? dbName option ?arg arg ...? dbName destroy dbName add user pwd storage dbName remove user dbName rename user newName dbName lookup user dbName exists user dbName who dbName save ?file? dbName read file DESCRIPTION
The package pop3d::udb provides simple in memory databases which can be used in conjunction with the pop3 server core provided by the pack- age pop3d. The databases will use the names of users as keys and associates passwords and storage references with them. Objects created by this package can be directly used in the authentication callback of pop3 servers following the same interface as servers created by the package pop3d. ::pop3d::udb::new ?dbName? This command creates a new database object with an associated global Tcl command whose name is dbName. The command dbName may be used to invoke various operations on the database. It has the following general form: dbName option ?arg arg ...? Option and the args determine the exact behavior of the command. The following commands are possible for database objects: dbName destroy Destroys the database object. dbName add user pwd storage Add a new user or changes the data of an existing user. Stores password and storage reference for the given user. dbName remove user Removes the specified user from the database. dbName rename user newName Changes the name of the specified user to newName. dbName lookup user Searches the database for the specified user and returns a two-element list containing the associated password and storage refer- ence, in this order. Throws an error if the user could not be found. This is the interface as expected by the authentication call- back of package pop3d. dbName exists user Returns true if the specified user is known to the database, else false. dbName who Returns a list of users known to the database. dbName save ?file? Saves the contents of the database into the given file. If the file is not specified the system will use the path last used in a call to dbName read. The generated file can be read by the read method. dbName read file Reads the specified file and adds the contained user definitions to the database. As the file is actually source'd a safe inter- preter is employed to safeguard against malicious code. This interpreter knows the add command for adding users and their associated data to this database. This command has the same argument signature as the method add. The path of the file is remembered internally so that it can be used in the next call of dbName save without an argument. KEYWORDS
pop3, internet, network, protocol, rfc1939 pop3d 1.0 pop3d::udb(n)