Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris boot issues
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Solaris boot issues Post 34276 by Perderabo on Thursday 13th of February 2003 01:11:32 PM
Old 02-13-2003
Actually, I do 100% of my work on server class systems. And yes, I promise that your post for the first time that I heard of Creator3D or Elite3M/6M. Cards, huh? I was guessing tape drives.

I may be of more use on question #1 though. My next guess is that you have diag-switch? set to "true". This does very extensive diagnostics on power up. But then it boots from diag-device rather than from boot-device. In addition to the obvious:
setenv diag-switch? true
command. It also says here "You can also force diag-switch? to true by using the Stop-D key sequence during power-on." (OpenBoot Command Reference Manual) I can't do that, we don't have any servers with a "graphics head". But I'm guessing that you can. So be careful, that may be what caused this.

So check your diag-switch? and diag-device settings and see if that is your problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

boot issues...

hardware on my first FreeBSD server has crashed. i was planning on swapping the HD into another machine, booting the generic kernel and then custom tailoring it to the new machine specs. however, i'm having a problem. the new machine is using a promise ultra100 card. i don't have any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
2 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

3. Solaris

V1280 boot issues

I have a client with a V1280 onsite and it is having boot problems. Below is the message it is returning when trying to boot. Is this something that anybody has run into, or that you might be able to shed some light on? {0} ok boot /ssm@0,0/pci@18,700000/ide@3/cdrom@0,0:f SunOS Release 5.9... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcwhitex
3 Replies

4. SCO

xp/sco 5.0.7 dual boot issues

Hello those more knowledgeable than I: I have been trying to get xp and SCO to coexist on the same system. I have tried several different ways to make both work, here's the list: -install xp, image it, move the partition to the end of drive, verify it boots, image again, -boot off of SCO... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stay0ut
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Windows,Solaris, Red Hat triple boot issues

I have a pentium IV with 512 MB ram and 80 GB HDD. I first installed windows XP on the first primary partition, then Solaris on the second with 20 GB for the solaris partition, and when rebooted , the grub menu functioned as expected giving me the options to dual boot, so next I wanted to install... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Boot issues Solaris 10 + V440

Hello, I've a very weird problem with one of the machines. When I try to boot off a working DVD that I used to install another system with it spits out the following message: Sun Fire V440, No Keyboard Copyright 2007 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. OpenBoot 4.22.33, 8192 MB... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: stoci
14 Replies

7. Solaris

WAN boot Server issues.

I 'm trying to configure a WAN boot server on Solaris10 x86 for sparc clients .. when i try to set up the server m getting following error ./setup_install_server -w /var/apache2/htdocs/wanboot10/wpath /var/apache2/htdocs/wanboot10/ipath ERROR: Cannot make WAN boot Image file on this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris stuck during boot after reconfigure boot

Hello, I have a problem with my machine that won't boot properly. The story is that I installed a software called apcupsd, which is a control application for my APC battery UPS. I have used version 3.14.10 earlier, but as part of restoring my previously crashed os harddrive I wanted to... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zorken
18 Replies

10. Red Hat

Boot Issues

I am installing Red Hat Linux 6.9 as a VM in Hyper-V on an HP laptop running Windows 10. After the install completes and the VM reboots, it gives me the message, "Detected CPU Family 6 model 142; Warning: Intel CPU model - this hardware has not undergone testing by Red Hat and might not be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tigers580307
1 Replies
WINBOND-DIAG(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   WINBOND-DIAG(8)

NAME
winbond-diag - EEPROM setup and diagnostic program for Winbond w89c840 based Ethernet cards. SYNOPSIS
winbond-diag [options] DESCRIPTION
winbond-diag is a program that you can use to diagnose problems with Ethernet cards based on the Winbond w89c840 chip. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -h, --help Show summary of options. -V, --version Show version of program. -v, --verbose Verbose mode. -q, --quiet Be very unverbose. -# <cardnum> Use card number <cardnum>. -a, --show_all_registers Print all registers. -e, --show-eeprom Dump EEPROM contents to stdout. -E, --emergency-rewrite Re-write a corrupted EEPROM. -p, --base-address <port> Specify port to use. -A, --Advertise <mediaype> Advertise media type. Valid Options are: 10baseT, 100baseT4, 100baseTx, 100baseTx-FD, 100baseTx-HD, 10baseT-FD and 10baseHD. -F, --new-interface <interface> Interface number. Options that make sense are: 10baseT, 10base2, AUI, 100baseTx, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTx-FDX, 100baseT4, 100baseFx, 100baseFx-FDX, MII and Autosense. -H, --new-hwaddress <address> Set card to a new hardware address. -m, --show-mii Dump MII management registers. -R, --reset Reset the transceiver. -T, --test Do register and SRAM test. -w, --write-EEPROM <values> Write to the EEPROMS with the specified values. Do not use this, if you do not know what you do! -f, --force-detection Try to identify the card, even if it is active. -t, --chip-type <card> Explicitly set the chip. To get all valid numbers, run winbond-diag with the options '-t -1'. SEE ALSO
mii-diag(8) AUTHOR
winbond-diag was written and is still maintained by Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>. This manual page was written by Alain Schroeder <alain@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). February 18, 2002 WINBOND-DIAG(8)