Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Updating Kernels and video drivers in Redhat 8.0 Post 34137 by jeremiebarber on Thursday 6th of February 2003 03:39:28 PM
Old 02-06-2003
Question Updating Kernels and video drivers in Redhat 8.0

Hi. I have a few "newbie" questions. This is a 2 part question which I was unable to find an answer. First, I have recently installed the kernel patch and video driver from Nvidia for my GeForce Ti 4800 video card for 3d on a fresh install of Redhat 8.0. I need to do all of the updates for Redhat. My question is, when I do the updates for the new kernels, will the kernel and video updates still be there, or will I have to reinstall them? Secondly, when I get an update for a new kernel, when I reboot, Grub lists the old and new kernels to boot from. Do I still need the old kernels, or can I delete them? Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

video drivers for solaris (intel) 5.7

i am looking for video drivers for a hercules stingray 128/3d card running on an HP vectra with solaris i386 version 7. can anyone point me to a download? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thomasaowens
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

redhat 7.2 dual head video card

HI. i have two monitor and two video card in one system, i want use both of the monitor, i am currently using redhat 7.2 and solaris 8, i was wondering if someone can help me set my system as a dual monitor, basically it called dual head in redhat but i dont' know what it called in sun. Im tring... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 9 on x86 platform, video drivers

Hi all! I'm having problems to set up my X window under x86 with solaris 9. My graphics card is a sis650 on a flat Samsung SyncMaster 152s... how can i do this? Thanx Jason (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

drivers unix 5.01 is compatible with drivers epson fx-2190

Please, I'm From Argentina, And I Need To Know If The Drivers Of Program Unix, Version 5.01 Is Compatible Whit Drivers Of The Printer Epson Fx-2190 Thanks, And I Hope Yuor Answer. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: juan alberghina
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

ich 9 sata controlar drivers for redhat linux 4

Dear All, Hi, i am trying to install redhat linux 4 update 4 on HP compaq dx7400 model. but i stucked up on sata controlar drivers. it is asking for drivers for sata, and not inbuilt in linux cd. i am trying to find it on net but not succeed. Thanks Sandeep D. Mobile:-9850999505 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdarange
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for updating the comments field on /etc/passwd on redhat linux

Hi there, I have more that 300 servers that I need to updated the comments field on /etc/passwd for users that have a blank comments fields. The users have accounts on different servers. I have created a list of these users on a text file called update_passwd.txt. I need a script that will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Duke
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

Updating RedHat 5.1

Hi all, Can any one tell me how I can update RedHat 5.1 without it getting upgraded to 5.5? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Obi-Wan
1 Replies

8. Linux

Video Drivers Seem to Be Broken

Hey, I just installed arch linux on one of my relatives computers and the video driver seems to be wrong. I can start gnome and everything is fine until I open firefox and try visiting any page, then everything becomes pixely and ugly. Everything works except the display. Most of the available... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: j4c300
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Redhat Cluster updating kernel setting

hello, I was going through clustering documentation for Redhat, it says "Enable IP Aliasing support in the kernel by setting the CONFIG_IP_ALIAS kernel option to y. When specifying kernel options, under Networking Options, select IP aliasing support", I knew I should update /etc/sysctl.conf with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby320
1 Replies
nv_sata(7D)							      Devices							       nv_sata(7D)

NAME
nv_sata - Nvidia ck804/mcp55 SATA controller driver SYNOPSIS
sata@unit-address DESCRIPTION
The nv_sata driver is a SATA HBA driver that supports Nvidia ck804 and mcp55 SATA HBA controllers. Note that while these Nvidia con- trollers support standard SATA features including SATA-II drives, NCQ, hotplug and ATAPI drives, the driver currently does not support NCQ features. CONFIGURATION
The nv_sata module contains no user configurable parameters. FILES
/kernel/drv/nv_sata 32-bit ELF kernel module (x86). /kernel/drv/amd64/nv_sata 64-bit ELF kernel module (x86). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attribute: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnvsata | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cfgadm(1M), cfgadm_sata(1M), prtconf(1M), sata(7D), sd(7D) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.11 22 Jul 2008 nv_sata(7D)