Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: yank
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers yank Post 33991 by Perderabo on Tuesday 28th of January 2003 09:25:33 PM
Old 01-28-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by giannicello
Thanks for the suggestion so far. Turns out the file I'll be working with is a huge file with 1 mil rows that I need to add 20 more columns to the end of each row. The columns to be added are all the same info.
Yikes! Your original post was talking about 100 to 1000 lines. If you want to add the same string of characters to each of 1 million lines in a file, don't use vi. Try this:

sed 's/$/<new string of stuff goes here>/' < input > output

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

annoying vi yank word + delete all question

Hello when i try to yank word only that looks like this "$$foo$" when i stand with my curser marker on the first char ($) and do in vi : "yw" (yank word) its yanks me only the "$" char when i stand white my curser on "f" its yank's me only "foo" how can i yank all word no matter what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Yank a column in vi

I have a file which has data in columns. Is there a way to yank columns in vi? I tried searching in this forum. I did not find it. Please help me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevelrf
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

^M in yank but not in file in Vim

I am trying to visually select a section of text in vim and then substitute for it using the :%s/ sequence. First I visually select text. Then I yank using "ay. Then I type :%s/ followed by Control R and the register name, in this case a. This fills in the text I have visually selected into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Enobarbus37
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Yank versus control-insert formatting differences?

Hello! Graduate student thrown to the sharks of unix and fortran77 here. My basic question is this: what exactly is the difference between yank (ie "*yG for the whole file and "*p in a new file) and control-insert / shift-insert with respect to text formatting? One is vi and one is Windows,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshlight
2 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of column as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The column utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY " ; printf "HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
July 29, 2004 BSD