Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: reading the hard drive
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users reading the hard drive Post 33955 by victbla on Monday 27th of January 2003 03:37:04 PM
Old 01-27-2003
reading the hard drive

I have suns machine that holds two hard drives. I only used one. I tryed to make a lan network with my windows xp. When I tryed to restart the machine it wanted to a password. when before I just typed root to log in. So i edited the etc dir. big mistake. So now the machine will not read the hard drive at all. It will not read the other hard drive also. What do I need to do to fix the machine.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

currupted my hard drive

Hello, earlier tonight I was installing BETA version of Mandrake Linux 9.0 and I realised I needed to partition my drive. I tried making the partition within mandrake but ther wasnt an option within the mandrake setup. So i go into my WindowsXP and do the disk management option but there want a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcaliber
5 Replies

2. Linux

hard drive specs?

Does anybody know what command will bring up my harddrive and how much room is left on it? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing hard drive

Hi, Can someone answer to my question.I' totally new to Unix. What is the command for removing the hard drive from the system? Thanks a lot, Puja (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pujathakral
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

6. Solaris

wiping hard drive

I'm looking for a utility that will wipe data clean from a Solaris hard drive and make the data unreadable and unrecoverable. Any suggestions? Does SUN have something? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Using the rest of my hard drive

Hi When I installed opensolaris, I installed it on a 20GB partition. How do I make use of the other 300GB I have spare? format shows:- -bash-3.2# format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c3d0 <DEFAULT cyl 2607 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellotommy
12 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

mount old hard drive

Hi guys, I have been looking around and searching for the past hour and did not see anything. but please forgive me if I missed something. I had a sparc 10 ultra cpu die on me, I got a replacement server from a very generous guy here, now I am getting around to remounting my old hard drive with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrDarkMatter
0 Replies

9. Hardware

checking non sequential reading/writing of hard drive

what command check that? Does it depend in the time it take to access the file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: programAngel
1 Replies
SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)			 systemd-machine-id-commit.service		      SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-machine-id-commit.service - Commit a transient machine ID to disk SYNOPSIS
systemd-machine-id-commit.service DESCRIPTION
systemd-machine-id-commit.service is an early boot service responsible for committing transient /etc/machine-id files to a writable disk file system. See machine-id(5) for more information about machine IDs. This service is started after local-fs.target in case /etc/machine-id is a mount point of its own (usually from a memory file system such as "tmpfs") and /etc is writable. The service will invoke systemd-machine-id-setup --commit, which writes the current transient machine ID to disk and unmount the /etc/machine-id file in a race-free manner to ensure that file is always valid and accessible for other processes. See systemd-machine-id-setup(1) for details. The main use case of this service are systems where /etc/machine-id is read-only and initially not initialized. In this case, the system manager will generate a transient machine ID file on a memory file system, and mount it over /etc/machine-id, during the early boot phase. This service is then invoked in a later boot phase, as soon as /etc has been remounted writable and the ID may thus be committed to disk to make it permanent. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-machine-id-setup(1), machine-id(5), systemd-firstboot(1) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)